Best way to begin learning?

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Best way to begin learning?

Post by Quetzal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Well now, that's something we don't hear every day... the most beautiful language you've ever heard? I'm guessing you're talking about the Dutch of the Netherlands, most foreigners do, in which case I'm marveling even more at that statement... no offense intended to my dear northern neighbours, of course. :p

My first reaction to your post, to be honest, is "learning German and Dutch at the same time is *not* a good idea". Knowing one helps enormously with the other, of course, but as you might expect, there are huge amounts of "false friends" and subtle differences in grammar. If you're a native speaker or native-level speaker of one of the two you should have an easy time with the other, but for everybody else, you'll just start mixing them up.

I would think Dutch is still easier than German, and even German is not exceptionally hard as languages go (from an Indo-European perspective, anyway), but yes, there are many things about Dutch that are tricky, and of course lack of exposure is a problem for everyone who doesn't live here, more so than for more prominent languages like German. The big one is probably word order, which will take rather a lot of practice even after you get the basic rules. Morphology on the other hand is fairly easy, so I suppose compared to most languages there's little rote learning of conjugations and declensions; the time saved there should probably be spent on writing/speaking exercises.

estarling
Superlid
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian
Second language: English

Re: Best way to begin learning?

Post by estarling » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Quetzal wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm
...The big one is probably word order, which will take rather a lot of practice even after you get the basic rules. Morphology on the other hand is fairly easy, so I suppose compared to most languages there's little rote learning of conjugations and declensions; the time saved there should probably be spent on writing/speaking exercises.
I find the above advise very sound.
Indeed, apart of the colorful offer of online learning sources,
writing and speaking exercises should be a priority for all Dutch language learners.
***** De onderlijning van fouten en de kritiek over deze tekst zijn welkom.