New learner of any language..bit lost

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
Brumfield1994
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

New learner of any language..bit lost

Post by Brumfield1994 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:37 am

Alright...So I've been inspired by this girl I've met. she speaks 5 languages all together..mainly pushed by her schooling as she lives in the Netherlands..so thats spanish. french. english. german. and of course dutch. me..well i speak english..i live like 3k miles i think it is from the netherlands? she speaks good english..very good honestly..corrects me on the grammar and my bad habits alot..and a very enjoyable person..she still tells me though she cant what we call "ramble" to me...like her thoughts and feelings and emotions? and id like to really connect with her better..so ive embarked on this journey to learn dutch for our sake sorta? she says she doesnt blame me if i dont but i want too..i think it would mean alot to us both as her being able to talk to me..and help her be more comfortable with her accent as id be failing alot more than her to get her accent down. also ive never done something like this and i want to show myself i can..id love to be able to speak many languages..i just never have done it..i only wish now i would have taken french and spanish at my high school..im 18 and from ohio in the usa. i have rosetta stone 1. 2. and 3. but its not really what i need as its sorta not all that great in helping you understand..just translate sorta..id like to be able to one day be fluent..but i know that takes years usually and it takes you being surrounded and dedicated..im not too patient of a person..and i give up..i dont really know where to start? i read things but it doesnt get me far..ive used youtube. this site. also i found this site http://www.elanguageschool.net/dutch and of course my rosetta stone which ive used a bit..but i only know tons of random junk that cant really be used yet..i guess this is all just a plea for help as to...does anyone have a lesson guideline i can use? or a detailed way for me to begin and get me on the right track? i know its going to take alot from me as applying myself..but i need guidance as its hard only knowing a native language and trying to learn one on your own..and dutch at that..thanks for taking the time to read all that at the very least i only hope someone or a few of you can help me out..i feel very anxious to learn..but very lost and helpless when i try

KevJD
Lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom

Re: New learner of any language..bit lost

Post by KevJD » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Brumfield1994,

Welcome to dutchgrammar.com. Someone with more experience may be along shortly but the following may help :

viewtopic.php?p=27557

You'll find attached some powerpoints written by Joke and they're very good. Les 1 should be your start point and it is advised not to go fast with Lessons as they ramp up difficulty quickly.

I'll add some more later.

Of course dutchgrammar.com is a great place to learn and they are very helpful here. I am a beginner too btw :)

Shazzy
Superlid
Second language: Dutch

Post by Shazzy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi
Welcom to the forum. I think you will do well learning Dutch as your girlfriend will help you. I learnt with The Dutch Language School here in Oxford by correspondence and they are fantastic courses I can tell you that. Karin the teacher is Dutch and really good. She sends her courses worldwide so why not contact her at http://www.dutchlanguageschool.co.uk
Also I have a teacher called Yorien who teaches me talking at http://www.sayitindutch.nl She comes from Groningen in Holland and she teachers over skype. Do you have skype? Again she is really excellent. I have been learning for 3 years now and took my first exam this year, GCSE (UK qualification but still waiting for the results) :D

I have now registered on a course direct with holland which is quite hard but I am enjoying it and thats the main thing. Once you have done the basics you get the hard stuff.

You are only 18 and have your girlfriend to help you and I am sure she will help you loads and you can practice together.

My mother was Dutch but she never brought us up speaking Dutch and I held it against her for years but I am so glad I can speak dutch now albeit only basic.

All the best and let me know how you get on.

Shazzy

Brumfield1994
Nieuwkomer

Post by Brumfield1994 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey KevJD,

thanks for you reply and lesson one is pretty basic but i'm sure it gets better I've just quickly reviewed over it :P i was trying to go through the dutch grammar just off the bat and read it but that wasn't too helpful and its hard to stay on task when doing it that way. I don't think its really the best of places to start off as its not really setup in lesson format it just gives you the tools to learn which would be nice once you really have the basics down. Its nice to have others to learn with also ^^

Thanks so far,
Brumfield1994 :P

Thank you Shazzy,

although id like to get the basics and a bit far into the dutch language before i go paying a decent bit on money on it..i know when the time comes id like to take a more local approach to it so i can get hands on training and work personally without the complications of distance.. I've already looked around here and no one offer dutch courses which is a bit of a bummer..but i'm trying to get into the U.S. navy as of now..and i'm sure where ever i end up may have a better selection let alone they may offer things through them also. But thank you for the useful information ^^

brumfield1994 :P

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:20 am

Dutch is not an easy language to find courses in that is for sure. Yorien (say it in Dutch) does a simple 6 week oral beginners email course which does not cost that much and it would get you started and you can do it in your own time and I am sure your girlfriend will be able to help you with it. In my opinion you always have to pay for the best things in life. You can get help on this forum and there are exercises for you to practice but many are at advanced levels. Try going through Jokes lessons as they are really good and at least give you an insist into the language.

All the best

Groetjes

Shazzy

Brumfield1994
Nieuwkomer

Post by Brumfield1994 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 pm

well like i said i have all of the rosetta stones..and i was going to look into another program called Tellmemore? but idk..im not sure..bit expensive for those things..but i want a more hands on learning experience..more one on one if im going to pay in a classroom setting so its much more personal...and its a more extensive and more structural learning experience..i think im going to wait till i get in the navy and a new town/city so i have a new setting and new options open to me before i start pushing more and more money towards the cause..im only 18 and i have plenty of time to get it down..and yes i know she will help me to some extent as of now she lives with her parents and im a bit of a secret so that doesnt help me too much ^^ but i know at some point that will change. plus travels there will help a little also..id like to get a bit down before i go though? just so i can pick things up easier while im there...not going for fluent or really communication but hopefully slight ability to translate and a bit of understanding so im not a complete fool..but thank you shazzy ill take it into consideration in the near future im sure ^^ my concerns are more so on this site? is there really any like direction with the grammar lessons and all that? or should i just try to go through it all and figure it out at some point? i know youtube has a good bit of channels that can help too..i guess im just looking for a plan or some kind of insight at what people have found? maybe find some new resources to help aid in my learning experiences..

but thank you both for your replies ^^ i do enjoy having people here that are supporting and helpful ^^ its nice

Brumfield1994 :P

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm

I definitely would recommend against paying more money for expensive software when you don't really know what you're doing yet - and if you're going into the Navy, it might be worth checking out what facilities they can offer for learning foreign languages, although I don't suppose Dutch will rank high on their priority list.

The grammar lessons on this site are intended to give an overview of Dutch grammar, not to teach it. There are people who do work through all of it sequentially, but for most people that really isn't the best way of starting to learn the language, no. What *is* the best way, unfortunately, is not something we can simply tell you, since it depends to a large extent on yourself, on your personal strengths and weaknesses. Some people like to make lots of exercises and write posts here, and then learn from our corrections; others don't really dare or like to try writing in Dutch for fear of mistakes, and so they merely ask questions in English about things they want to know or don't understand.

Rosetta Stone might be helpful to acquire starting vocabulary (although there are free alternatives, like e.g. Livemocha.com, that will achieve a similar purpose if you ask me), but as I understand it (never used it myself) you won't learn much grammar from it, so you could try to find the answers in our pages here or ask on this forum. Wikipedia is always helpful as well, to look up grammatical terminology and some basics of Dutch grammar (and Wiktionary as dictionary, although other online dictionaries may be more complete). Youtube, definitely, for listening comprehension (when you're more advanced, there are also (entirely legal) websites with tons of TV programs of both the Flemish and Dutch public broadcasting channels). And so on...

Brumfield1994
Nieuwkomer

Post by Brumfield1994 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:13 am

Ahhh well thats not so nice to hear to be honest..but ehh im sure ill figure it out like i said im not in much of a rush i was just looking for a bit of guidance but i guess ill just keep snooping around and trying to just learn little by little and im sure at some point it will start to get collective and maybe turn into something worth using? i will thank you very much for the livemocha link thats even better than rosetta stone as its more direct and you can do it at your own pace..doesnt have voice recognition but what good is it anyhow? i enjoy it so far and it seems to be more in depth..i enjoy the guided learning that these programs give you..i know it wont make you fluent but it very well does give you a solid lesson and a good foundation to start learning on. i do need to read on the grammar section of this website but its not much to piece together when you arent able to fully connect what your learning to what you already know? its just reading really..i do hope that once i get started and i go to read the grammar section it will answer alot of questions that i have about the things i already know but dont fully understand. its sorta exciting to learn a new language and dutch at that..its fun to pronounce and its so different and i enjoy that..even if i wont be able to ever really hone my skills till later in life..at least give me a bit of a head start before i start going to The Netherlands

Thanks, Brumfield1994 :P

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Glad you have found something to start your learning..... people find different ways that suit them. I have just discovered that Learn Direct run languages courses online if you live in the UK which I think you do don't you? They do a Dutch beginners course and I think its around £29.99 so very cost effective. I have not done any language courses myself but have done other courses with them and they are good and very structured. All the best and learn while you are young as just think if you study for 5 or 10 years how good you will be at Dutch later in life. I wish I had this opportunity. Goed geluk.
Groetjes

Shazzy