1 year review of my dutch learning

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
KevJD
Lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English

1 year review of my dutch learning

Post by KevJD » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am

Hoi All,

I am never too sure where to post my ramblings so feel free to move if needed.

As I come up to 1 year of my starting to learn dutch and about 6 months of being a dutchgrammar.com member I thought I would post my thoughts and experiences.

My word list so far is :

Prefix Word Plural English

het huis huizen House
het kind kinderen Child
het boek boeken Book
de hond honden Dog
de kat katten Cat
het paard paarden Horse
de bal ballen Ball
de straat straten Street
de tuin tuinen Garden
de fiets fietsen Bike
de auto auto’s Car
de jongen jongens Boy
het meisje meisjes Girl
de vrouw vrouwen Woman
de man mannen Man
de krant kranten Newspaper
het potlood potloden Pencil

To be honest, some of the plurals I would struggle with if they were hidden from me but the singular I am pretty good with. Most of these words were learned via a combination of Rosetta Stone and my first skype course. Apart from the fact that video skype freaks me out (I like to hide in a dark corner somewhere) it was the most dutch I learned in the shortest amount of time. There was homework too, which I think helped enforce a lot of things in my brain.

Unfortunately, pretty soon we were on to a book called colloquial dutch which was an absolute nightmare and too advanced for me and soon I was needing to find something simple again. More on that later.

Of course its not all about object words (I guess called nouns), there are subjecty things like, ik, jij, hij, zij etc, and the verby parts like ben, bent, zijn, is etc. Then there is informal plural, informal singular, formal plural, formal singular. Now i'll be the first to admit I am not good at this at all. I decided to learn all the informal and formal, singular and plural things, and so I made myself a bunch of little flashcards with things like "Ik ben hier". "Jij bent een vrouw". On the other side, I wrote the english. Eventually I made 25 cards which is enough for me because I get about 25% right on a good day. Once I reach 100% ( yes I am being optimistic) then I shall make some more cards.

At several points I have reached a kind of learning burnout. This is normally when things just got too hard for my little brain to handle. One of my worst burnouts lasted 2 months and it took a complete reset of my expectations and to be slowly coaxed back before I became ready to learn again. Obviously 2 months resulted in me forgetting a lot of what I had learned. So my first hint and tip is :

#1 Its better to learn something simple often than something hard rarely.

I first came across dutchgrammar.com whilst trying to find a dictionary and its the best thing that could ever have happened for my dutch. I met a firm friend in the form of Shazzy and some great characters in the form of Quetzal and Bert and others. Compared to these people I soon realised I was a dull rock in a sea of diamonds. When Quetzal sent me off to find out why its not wij loopen, I became utterly confused by a couple of pages in and so am absolutely convinced I may never know that particular secret. I would say its a bit like someone who can barely add up turning up to an advanced calculus class. He can't understand a thing but likes his classmates. :D

Anyway, I will live in the hope that one day I'll be able to understand a bit more of what you guys write, and if not I can always just say "Hoi, hoe gaat het met je?" or is that "hoe gaat het met jouw?" :D

Keep up the good work!

Kev

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: 1 year review of my dutch learning

Post by Bert » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm

KevJD wrote:Hoi All,

Anyway, I will live in the hope that one day I'll be able to understand a bit more of what you guys write, and if not I can always just say "Hoi, hoe gaat het met je?" or is that "hoe gaat het met jouw?" :D

Keep up the good work!

Kev
Hello KevJD,

I hope you're all right. "Hoi, hoe gaat het met je?" is correct, however, "Hoe gaat het met jouw?" is not. The latter should be "Hoe gaat het met jou?". "Jouw" means "your" in English (the Dutch usually use "je" for "jouw" [please note "je" may also be used for "jou" and "jij" /very rarely also for "jullie" (gen.); "je" is also used with refl. verbs (for I/2 and II/2)/], unless it gets emphasis). You can simply leave the part "met je/jou": "Hoe gaat het?" or "Hoe is het?".

Groetjes
Bert

KevJD
Lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English

Re: 1 year review of my dutch learning

Post by KevJD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 am

Hi Bert,

Yes great thanks. Glad to see you are doing well. Thanks for clearing that up. Its good to have a good grounding in the basics, so I am glad I didn't continue to make that mistake :D

Kev