A Fun Way to Improve Vocabulary and Comprehension

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
burak
Lid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Turkish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch (Flanders)
Fourth language: German

A Fun Way to Improve Vocabulary and Comprehension

Post by burak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

A discussion in another topic inspired me to write another tips and hints post. A fun way to improve your comprehension skills and vocabulary is to watch movies with subtitles. There are two versions of this practice.

The first version is suitable for all levels and it helps to improve your vocabulary. You can watch a movie in the language you want to learn and switch on the subtitles in your native language. However, the other way around works also very good and perhaps even better than the previous one. I have figured this out by chance in a cinema in Belgium. We were watching an American movie with Dutch subtitles and I could pick up quite a few words and phrases just by reading the subtitles.

The second version is more suitable for intermediate and advanced learners. In this version, you watch a movie in the language you want to learn and switch on the subtitles in the same language. This improves the comprehension of the spoken language. Understanding a written text is much easier than understanding the same text when it is spoken. Unfortunately, not all movies have subtitles with the same language. However, more and more movies have this feature to help people with hearing impairment.

You can learn new words and phrases with both methods quickly, but don't forget to record and review them regularly. Otherwise, you'll forget them soon. Google Phrasebook provides an efficient way to keep a record of the words and phrases. You can check this post, where I explain the useful features of Google Phrasebook.

Have you ever tried switching on the subtitles in the language you want to learn? Did it work for you too?
Burak Bilgin is the developer of LearnPractice.com, a website that offers more than 800 free Dutch language exercises.

Julia Anderson
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

Re: A Fun Way to Improve Vocabulary and Comprehension

Post by Julia Anderson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 am

to improve vocabulary; there are many other ways also such as reading books or newspapers and then underlining the difficult words and after finding their meanings through some dictionary or Google, learn them by heart. besides these, listen to the news and informative channels to enhance your vocabulary and comprehension.
Last edited by Quetzal on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the link but not the whole post as it's sort of relevant

Jodi
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: French
Third language: English
Fourth language: English

Re: A Fun Way to Improve Vocabulary and Comprehension

Post by Jodi » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 am

Yep, movies are a great way to learn the language. Clinically proven :) And I'd recommend reading songs' lyrics because that's how you memorize things in patterns.