Best place to start!

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
clrthrn
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English

Best place to start!

Post by clrthrn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi

First of all, thanks to all who post here and to the site owner for a fantastic resource! Without this and a couple of other sites, I think I would be resigned to going the "Rosetta Stone" route which really wouldn't work quickly as my learning style is to read, write then speak rather than the other way around.

I'm British and I am hoping to move to the Netherlands in June 2014. I'm currently a UK civil servant and would like to take up a job with either my Dutch government counterpart or with an EU organisation when I arrive. I know that my Dutch will need to be pretty damn amazing come next June but I have a few Dutch speaking relatives and friends so they have offered to help with speaking, pronouncing the dreaded G's etc etc.

After two weeks of study, I've got a vocabulary of around 200 words thanks to Memrise (I can point and say the name of things in Dutch as well as ordering coffee but thats about it!) but I am struggling to start constructing real meaningful sentences. The fact that the word order is often backwards to English plus the thing where extra verbs appear at the end of sentences is a bit baffling. I am attempting to read the newspapers most days (celebrity section...not very taxing in terms of vocab!) and trying to translate tweets but it isn't quite sinking in as fast as I hoped. If anyone has any advice on how to start with the sentence construction, it would be appreciated! Even if its just messages to say that it is really hard but start somewhere, anywhere and it will start to come together!

Dankuwel!

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: Best place to start!

Post by Bert » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 am

Hi,

Welcome here.
clrthrn wrote:I'm British and I am hoping to move to the Netherlands in June 2014. I'm currently a UK civil servant and would like to take up a job with either my Dutch government counterpart or with an EU organisation when I arrive.
I think you have to reach level B2 or rather C1 for that kind of a job, so you must learn very hard from now on.

Veel succes!

Groet,
Bert

Jodi
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: French
Third language: English
Fourth language: English

Re: Best place to start!

Post by Jodi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 pm

I would recommend websites like livemocha or busuu but you are really short of time so that's probably not too effective. Try to find a Dutch teacher (consider Skype lessons) because the quickest way to learn the language is live communication