teaching my son Dutch

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
chriswhite2020
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

teaching my son Dutch

Post by chriswhite2020 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:20 am

Hi everyone
We have family in the Netherlands, so I have recently started studying Dutch and have signed up for Dutch Skype lessons.
My son is 13months old and I was hoping for some advice on the best way to teach him too? Are there any recommended TV programmes/games/toys etc?
I see dinolingo has a Dutch version, but is it worth the money?
If anyone has any experience of doing the same thing I would love to hear it.
Many thanks
Chris

Vilmos
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: Afrikaans
Fourth language: German

Re: teaching my son Dutch

Post by Vilmos » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm

I am not sure whether the Dutch public broadcaster is available abroad, but it has a great website where you can re-watch TV programmes for free. For children, by example, you have Sesamstraat (Sesame Street) or the Jeugdjournaal (children's news). If you use the search box, you can select the genre in the side bar.

I am not an expert, but I do know the KRO and the NTR are public broadcasting assocations that are familiar with children's programmes.

Teodor
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: Serbo-Croatian
Third language: French
Fourth language: English

Post by Teodor » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

Unfortunately, Sesamstraat is only available to viewers in the Netherlands (and to those abroad who have enough IT knowledge to circumvent this geographical limitation).

Sesamstraat, Het Klokhuis, the Jeugdjournaal and a bunch of other programmes are also broadcasted on BVN, the joint Dutch-Flemish public broadcasting service aimed at Dutch speakers abroad.

paintedwildd
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English

Post by paintedwildd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Chris! I have an almost 14 month old Son who i'm teaching Dutch too! Peppa pig in Dutch is his favorite, we watch that on YouTube. There's not many episodes though so I may buy a DVD.They also have sesamestraat, Pim en Pom and of course Nijntje. This site has everything! http://www.kinderfilmpjes.net

We shipped some Nijntje books over from Holland, he loves the pictures and the fact that it rhymes. We also have an abc first word book in Dutch.

NPO broadcasts outside the Netherlands and you can watch lots of shows for adult learning there. There's not much kids stuff but they have episodes of the TV adaptation of Otje which we like watching. We, well mostly just me, also listen to the Otje luisterboek (audiobook) on YouTube, it's really clear and easy to understand.

I hope that helps. We haven't used Dinolingo, but the flashcards appeal to me. I might just make my own but very interested in hearing if anyone else has used it.
Feel free to drop me a message, I'm interested in talking to another non native parent trying to raise a bilingual Dutch child :)

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:41 am