Help with grammar book

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
ignazio
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Italian
Second language: English
Third language: French

Help with grammar book

Post by ignazio » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Hello,

my name's Ignazio. I'm an italian speaker but I know english and french. I'm living in Belgium and my intention is to start to learn dutch too.
For me it's a difficult language, especially in memorizing words and sounds but I'm well determined. I started private lessons months ago plus I've the Rosetta Stone course, but I'm not having great results yet. My main difficulty is mostly to understand and memorize the grammar. :roll:
When I started to study english and french is been "easy" at the basic level thanks to books like for ex Murphy (eng) . That's because is very practical.
You have your grammar lesson on the left and the exercises on the right, so you can apply immediately what you studied. With Dutch I'm struggling to find a book like that. I only found grammar book with tons of theory.. And it's very difficult to memorize everything.
What I need is a grammar book with english explanation (or Italian, or French) and a bunch of exercises after every lesson. Do you have titles in particular to suggest me? An advise from you would be very kind.

Cheers

Ignazio

Crecker
Superlid
Country of residence: Italy

Re: Help with grammar book

Post by Crecker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 am

Ciao Ignazio! Anch'io sono italiano!

I would recommend you 'Jip en Janneke' stories. I have read some of them and they are very basic. Then, when you'll be more comfortable with the language, try with 'Papa vertelt als de beste' (ISBN: 9789044738797). They are simple, too, but I personally need to consult a dictionary very often because of verbs in past tense.

Hope this helps!
ImageImage
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
En vlug, voor de laatste bus...

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:39 am

Crecker wrote: They are simple, too, but I personally need to consult a dictionary very often because of verbs in past tense.
Interesting. Is that general or is that mostly the strong ones like reed, bood, vond, brak, zag, voer, liep etc?

One reason for including all the verb forms at wiktionary (e.g. https://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/reed) was precisely that: they are not always immediately obvious I suppose.

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:12 am

Actually you have inspired me to write an exercise on the wikibook about this. I am not finished, but have a look at what I am doing and see if it helps any https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dutch/Lesson_6A

So far I have done weak and class one but I'll write some more about the other 6 classes.

Crecker
Superlid
Country of residence: Italy

Post by Crecker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:02 am

ngonyama wrote:
Crecker wrote: They are simple, too, but I personally need to consult a dictionary very often because of verbs in past tense.
Interesting. Is that general or is that mostly the strong ones like reed, bood, vond, brak, zag, voer, liep etc?

One reason for including all the verb forms at wiktionary (e.g. https://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/reed) was precisely that: they are not always immediately obvious I suppose.
Yes, I would say strong verbs are more difficult than weak ones. You have to know them. Period. You have sort of "rules" which can help you, but at the beginning they don't help you so much. You have to practice a lot to learn the patterns and learn how to use them!

I know the meaning of vond, zag, voer and liep, but I am now going to check the others you mentioned on an online dictionary. Weak verbs are much easier to recognize and you need a check them only if you can't translate them to a known language.

Just like strong verbs, it is quite difficult to me to find out separable verbs. That gets worse when there are separated separable verbs in past tense.
ImageImage
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
En vlug, voor de laatste bus...

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 am

Oh, yeah, those. The separable verbs... :? I had not put those in at all in that page, but you are right it might be a good thing to write a similar page with separables and inseparables. But not now..