RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 18th, 2014, 9:19 am    

Strange confessions

Funny stories about your learning experiences. Mondegreens, Silly mistakes, Jokes, Riddles and all kinds of fun stuff. Strange things you noticed about differences and similarities between Dutch and English (or German, French, Swahili, ..).

Re: Strange Confessions

Postby Marco » January 16th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Right, it's not really a confession, but I've discovered some other words from my dialect that I put into standard Dutch;

"Dat deed je extra!" instead of "Dat deed je expres!" ("You did that on purpose!")

And

"Ik heb stad en land afgeklept."
I don't really know how to translate it; it's not entirely the same as "Ik heb stad en land afgezocht." It means that you travelled a lot during the day and that you came home dead on your feet. It could mean that you've just been travelling a lot, but it could also mean that you went shopping for a long time, or that you searched for something in particular and could only stop once you had it. I guess the word covers a lot of meanings. :-D
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby DCRPA » January 18th, 2008, 3:31 am

Just stumbled upon this part of the Forum! It is so funny!
When I first started "attempting" to chat on the kwebbelhoekje, I made a comment in Dutch that my Nederlands was niet goed! Or something like that. Someone was nice enough to tell me that they thought I was doing OK with it. So to thank them, I said (with confidence I might add): ik vind je heel leuk! I meant to say that I thought they were very nice (aardig). So they came back asking me if I was in love with them! I was so emabarressed!!!
Denise
DCRPA
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

Postby EetSmakelijk » January 18th, 2008, 6:35 am

Hallo, DCRPA. I do not think this mistake was quite so bad. I am not a native but I think the word "leuk" can be applied to things and people differently I guess. I wasn't sure what "ik vind je leuk" meant...I thought it meant you're fun to be with or something so I could have made the same mistake. Somebody please correct this if it is wrong, but I think things can be leuk like I find university leuk I like it and don't want to marry it or anything.
Besides, all beginners and advanced people make mistakes, no matter how good their Dutch is. That's the nature of learning a secon language. Heck, I even make mistakes in English. :P (Just don't tell that to my Engglish Composition professor. :P )
Yes, this section of the forum is very entertaining. Just remember we have all posted to it or should post to it so we all have a strange confession or two or three or ten. ;)
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French

Postby Quetzal » January 18th, 2008, 4:25 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:Hallo, DCRPA. I do not think this mistake was quite so bad. I am not a native but I think the word "leuk" can be applied to things and people differently I guess. I wasn't sure what "ik vind je leuk" meant...I thought it meant you're fun to be with or something so I could have made the same mistake. Somebody please correct this if it is wrong, but I think things can be leuk like I find university leuk I like it and don't want to marry it or anything.
Besides, all beginners and advanced people make mistakes, no matter how good their Dutch is. That's the nature of learning a secon language. Heck, I even make mistakes in English. :P (Just don't tell that to my Engglish Composition professor. :P )
Yes, this section of the forum is very entertaining. Just remember we have all posted to it or should post to it so we all have a strange confession or two or three or ten. ;)
Groetjes,

We do use "leuk" for a lot of things, but yeah, saying to a person "Ik vind je leuk" does tend to have romantic connotations. ;)
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Postby EetSmakelijk » March 10th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Ik heb net iets grappigs gemerkt.
I just noticed something funny.
Ik ben ?always on my best behaviour? als ik in het hoekje voor moderatoren post. :P
I am always on my best behaviour if I post in the moderator's forum.
Ik schrijf zo weinig Engels daar.
I write so little English there.
Ik geef ook geen vertaling bij mijn posts.
I also don't give a translation with my posts.
Dit vind ik zo grappig want hier spreek ik zoveel Engels en zo weinig Nederlands.
I find this funny because I speak so little Dutch and so much English here.
O, en zie hierboven voor een bericht van mij helemaal in het Engels met geen enkel woordje Nederlands. :oops:
Oh, and see above for a message of mine completely in English with not a single little word of Dutch. :oops:
Hoe zeg ik that illustrates my point perfectly?
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French

Postby KSerra » March 10th, 2008, 6:32 pm

I too have an embarrasing situation to report.

Each year my husband and I have a 'traditional Irish' style Christmas dinner for our friends in the Netherlands. For that we need to order a full turkey...
When in the butchers I heard a question with what sounded like 'bezorgd' mentioned. Hmm, I thought - zorgen means 'to take care of' so he must be asking if I'd like him to 'take care of' the bird (or in other words pluck and gut it!). So I said 'yes please'. In the next sentence I proceeded to tell the kind butcher that I'd be in to collect the turkey the following Saturday ... :lol:
Imagine my embarrassment when I later realised that 'bezorgen' means to deliver ... :o

Now for the hard part - I can never say things exactly as I want to in Dutch, so have to 'talk around the subject' so to speak!

Ik heb ook een verwarrende situatie te melden.

Elke Kerstmis hebben mijn man en ik een 'traditioneel Iers' Kerstmis feest voor onze vrienden in het Nederlands. We hebben een hele kalkoen nodig ...
In de slagerij heb ik de woord 'bezorgd' (of zo) gehoord. Ik dacht dat 'zorgen' Nederlands voor 'to take care of' is. Ik dacht 'hij zal de kalkoen prepararen - de veren te plukken en zo ...' In reactie zei ik 'Ja gelieve'. Daarna zei ik 'ik zal de kalkoen op zaterdag ophalen ...'
Ik probeer nog, ik leer nog!
KSerra
Lid

Postby DougG » April 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm

KSerra wrote:
Now for the hard part - I can never say things exactly as I want to in Dutch, so have to 'talk around the subject' so to speak!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm talking along and suddenly realize that I don't know - or I'm not quite sure about - one key word, and the whole sentence falls apart. Dan krijg ik een rood hoofd...

My butcher's story: Ik was in een slagerij om erwtensoep (natuurlijk!) te kopen. Ik vroeg aan het slager: "is er al worst in de soep?"

He looked at me like I was speaking Martian. Eventually we figured out what the problem was: "Ja, er ZIT wel worst in de soep. Hi hi hi..."

I went home and told the story to my Dutch girlfriend the story (she's fluent in English) and when I told her what I'd first asked the butcher, she looked at me like I was speaking Martian...

<I just realized: misschien is "Ik was in een slagerij" ook fout? Misschien moet ik zeggen: "Ik stond ..."???>
DougG
Lid

Country of residence: United States

Re: Strange confessions

Postby rickstar121 » May 4th, 2008, 8:52 am

Hoi idereen,

i want to learn dutch badly so i can talk with the one dutch person i know in austrlia but i dont learn it at school or anything so it is hard for me XD

i originally found a guy on the net willing to teach me over msn, so i added him and he taught me lots of good stuff straight away and he was able to teach me some pronounciation using a poffertjes recipe! haha thats cool :D

i now have about 5 dutch friends from holland on MSN and i talk to most of them in english and i try to speak dutch to them somtimes but i fail XD
i can write it so its understandable what im saying but im not actually able to do the grammar and stuff properly, although they correct me when i ask it doesnt help me because noone teaches me the grammar because the original guy who taught me is not on much anymore :(

Anyway, i get quite a few non understandings when my friends talk dutch to me or when they are trying to teach me dutch.

One day my friend was teaching me somthing and they said "blahblah of blahblah" so i was like hahahahaha i think you mean or not of xD thinking they were only saying the blahblah in dutch,

god did i feel like a fool.... :o #-o

yer well thats a story i can think of atm

BTW cause im really dumb at dutch ATM i listen to music to help with pronounciation i like lots XD

i listen to K3, Kinderen Voor Kinderen, Gebroeders Ko and others i think OHH!! and the Bob de bouwer full intro song! haha

my dutch friend who lives in australia has also given me there 2 dutch videos they bought for they're daughter who didnt watch them (none of her 3 kids wants to learn dutch) they are "Bruine beer in het blauwe huis" which i found brilliant because i could understand most of what they said and she also gave me "bob de bouwer" god was that difficult to understand he speaks so fast and i was sitting there going.... ok the only thing i understood was the intro song hehe

anyway enough from me for now.

Any people who have msn and willing to help me in my quest of learning dutch tell me so i can add you! hehe

oke Doei voor nu!
Currently owned Dutch things:

Poffertjespan
    Dutch dictionary
    2 Videos in Dutch
rickstar121
Nieuwkomer

Re:

Postby kwalijkje » August 2nd, 2008, 1:24 pm

kwalijkje wrote:I had been teaching myself Dutch for quite a while, but I had not got much experience listening to the sound of it, so all my pronunciation was based on the pronunciation guides in self-teach books.
I was walking down Spuistraat in A'dam, and realised I didn't have my lighter. So I thought, 'what the heck?' and decided to give my Dutch a go for the first time. I approached this lady and said 'Heb je een aansteker?'.
She looked at me with this look of sheer confusion and fear, shook her head violently and ran off. I know my pronunciation was really bad, but that can't have been what made her run off. The only thing I can think was that I mispronounced the question in to some rude statement.
I'd love to know what she thought I said. :o

Well, it's taken me long enough to realise, but I've finally figured out what I said wrong. I went up to a complete stranger and used 'je' instead of 'u', or some other polite softener. Wat dom. Dat was ook een van de eerste dingen dat ik had geleerd.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Lui(steren) en(is) moe(ilijk)
kwalijkje
Superlid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch

Re: Re:

Postby Quetzal » August 2nd, 2008, 1:56 pm

kwalijkje wrote:
kwalijkje wrote:I had been teaching myself Dutch for quite a while, but I had not got much experience listening to the sound of it, so all my pronunciation was based on the pronunciation guides in self-teach books.
I was walking down Spuistraat in A'dam, and realised I didn't have my lighter. So I thought, 'what the heck?' and decided to give my Dutch a go for the first time. I approached this lady and said 'Heb je een aansteker?'.
She looked at me with this look of sheer confusion and fear, shook her head violently and ran off. I know my pronunciation was really bad, but that can't have been what made her run off. The only thing I can think was that I mispronounced the question in to some rude statement.
I'd love to know what she thought I said. :o

Well, it's taken me long enough to realise, but I've finally figured out what I said wrong. I went up to a complete stranger and used 'je' instead of 'u', or some other polite softener. Wat dom. Dat was ook een van de eerste dingen dat die ik had geleerd.

Ik kan me niet voorstellen dat iemand alleen daarom zou weglopen. :P Het lijkt me dan meer aannemelijk dat de vrouw die je aansprak gewoon geen Nederlands sprak (in Amsterdam lijkt het soms alsof er meer toeristen dan Nederlanders zijn).
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Postby Ome Jorge » August 2nd, 2008, 5:48 pm

@Kwalijkje,

Rofl, I guess she was not going away because of your intention. But maybe she thought that you wanted to have a lighter, instead of a light. You would ask for a light in English and not for a lighter right? The same in Dutch where you ask voor "een vuurtje" in stead of "een aansteker".

Ik denk dat ze niet wegging vanwege jouw bedoeling. Misschien dacht ze dat jij de aansteker wilde hebben in plaats van een vuurtje. In het Engels zou je om een light vragen en niet om een lighter, niet waar? Het zelfde geldt in het Nederlands waar je vraagt om een vuurtje in plaats van om een aansteker.

OJ :mrgreen:
Ome Jorge

Second language: English

Postby schermen » August 3rd, 2008, 1:52 am

Quetzal wrote:Het lijkt me dan meer aannemelijk dat de vrouw die je aansprak gewoon geen Nederlands sprak (in Amsterdam lijkt het soms alsof er meer toeristen dan Nederlanders zijn).

We hebben dit situatie ook in Londen. Vele mensen die woon in Londen spreek klein (of geen) Engelse. Je weet niet (als je met iemand spreken op straat) als ze Engels spreken of niet. Daarvoor we spreken niet met vreemdelingen (mensen die we kennen niet) en dus het gedacht (de opinie) is dat de Engelse "reserveerde" zijn. Mijn moeder, wie heeft haar hele leeftijd in een kleine stad gewoond verwacht iedereen Engelse te spreken en dus praat ze met iedereen; - op de bushalte, in de straat, op winkels..., soms is het erg beschamend!

We have the same situation in Londen. Many people that live in London speak little (or no) English. You don't know (if you speak with someone in the street) if they speak English or not, so we don't speak to strangers (people that we don't know) and so it is thought (the opinion is) that the English are "Reserved". My mother , who has lived her whole life in a small town, expects everyone to speak English and so talks to everyone; at the bus stop, in the street, in the shops..., sometimes it is very embarrassing! :o
Elke dag en in elke manier zal ik mijn Nederlands verbeteren
schermen
Waardevol lid

Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Postby Ally » August 3rd, 2008, 10:32 am

Ik wist niet waar ik kan dit best zeggen, maar.....
(Not sure where best to say this, but...)

Prettige verjaardag, Kwalijkje :-D
Ally
Lid

Postby Ome Jorge » August 3rd, 2008, 6:45 pm

schermen wrote:We hebben deze situatie ook in Londen. Veel mensen die in Londen wonen spreken weinig (of geen) Engels. Je weet niet (als je met mensen spreekt op straat) of ze Engels spreken of niet. Daarvoor spreken we niet met vreemdelingen (mensen die we niet kennen ) en dus is de gedachte (de opinie) dat de Engelsen "gereserveerd" zijn. Mijn moeder, die haar hele leven in een kleine stad gewoond heeft verwacht dat iedereen Engels spreekt en dus praat ze met iedereen; - op de bushalte, in de straat, op winkels..., soms is het erg beschamend!

Leuk verhaal, het doet mij aan Crocodile Dundee denken!
Nice story, it reminds me of Crocodile Dundee!

I changed iemand to mensen. :arrow: Als je met iemand praat, weet je niet of hij Engels spreekt of niet.
Als je met mensen praat, weet je niet of ze Engels spreken of niet.

OJ :mrgreen:
Ome Jorge

Second language: English

Postby schermen » August 3rd, 2008, 11:39 pm

Dankjewel, Ome Jorge, voor de correcties, er zijn altijd welkom, uiteraard . Je moet "the patience of a saint" hebben!
Thank you, Ome Jorge, for the corrections, they are always welcome, naturally. You must have the patience of a Saint!

Het is erg frustrerende! Ik schrijf mijn zinnen zorgvuldig, ik lees en onderzoek hen en voor mij ze zijn juiste, maar jouw (en ook de andere vraagbaken's) correcties zo duidelijk zijn! "mensen die woon in Londen"! Hoe komt het dat ik dat zou hebben geschreven? Mensen! Meervoud! Meer dan een mens dus de werkwoorden moeten "wonen en "spreken"! En het woordvolgorde, "Veel mensen die in Londen wonen spreken weinig (of geen) Engels". Dit is geen moeilijk zin, waarom kan ik het juist woordvolgorde niet gebruiken! En de andere fouten, en de anderen, en de anderen... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

It is so frustrating! I write my sentences carefully, I read them and examine them and to me they seem correct, but your (and the other vraagbaken's) corrections are so obvious! "mensen die woon in Londen"! How is it that I could have written that? People! Plural! More than one person, so the verbs should be "wonen en "spreken"! And word order, "Veel mensen die in Londen wonen spreken weinig (of geen) Engels". This is not a difficult sentence, why can I not get the right word order! And the other mistakes, and the others and the others...

Schermen :-(
Elke dag en in elke manier zal ik mijn Nederlands verbeteren
schermen
Waardevol lid

Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

PreviousNext

Return to Laughs and Learning