A shopping story, entirely written in English

Funny stories about your learning experiences. Mondegreens, Silly mistakes, Jokes, Riddles and all kinds of fun stuff. Strange things you noticed about differences and similarities between Dutch and English (or German, French, Swahili, ..).

A shopping story, entirely written in English

Postby EetSmakelijk » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:30 am

The following post is entirely in English, if you feel like translating it into Dutch, please do! :grin:
This is not in strange confessions because I am not sure if it is a strange confession... If it would be better off in that topic, please move it. :grin:

I was messing around on bol.com which is a really cool website where you can order things. The interesting thing is that I was on the Dutch site! It is fun to read about winkelwagentjes and other fun shopping things and try to figure out what the site is asking. I was looking for the Dutch version of Microsoft Windows, and I found it. The only problem was that the frequently asked questions said that they could not send software outside the Netherlands, so that was out. :cry: I then started searching for CDs, and came upon some Dutch kinderliedjes. It was two collections, each with 4 CDs, called kids top 100 parts one and two for a total of 8 discs! :grin: It wasn't very expensive, so I decided to order them. I was most nervous filling out that Dutch form, but it was sort of fun as well as nerve-wracking, lol. The site kept addressing me as "u" which I am getting used to slowly, but the formality still intimidates me a bit and I was trying to figure out where to type my street address, my city, and my other info. I kept mistyping things, forgetting to fill out required fields, and generally just sat there hoping I was doing it right and hoping that if something wasn't right, an english-speaking customer service person would email me in the morning! I pressed the order button and nothing exploded so I think I am ok, I just need to write this post to slow my racing heart, lol. It wasn't that bad, it was just really frightening, but I figure that immersion is probably the way to learn. I do a lot of online shopping and so doing it in Dutch seems quite natural to me if slightly difficult. The form insisted on a title, so I had to call myself Mevrouw which I am not very fond of calling myself, I am never addressed by anything but my first name, I ask sales people and stuff to call me by my first name. Formal I am not, and formal that site was, lol. That was my shopping experience so far, I will update you as things unfold. I hope that tomorrow I will get a pretty little email saying all is well with your order and that I will be able to understand it, lol. I guess there is always the "annuleer" button if I really get stuck! :P
Thanks for listening and I hope to have good news tomorrow or is that today for you all already. ;)
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Re: A shopping story, entirely written in English

Postby Snoezig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 am

Hoi EetSmakelijk,

I just had a similar (though slightly simpler) experience with my very first online Dutch-language order, from proxis.com, which worked out quite well. The advantage here was that they also offer an English "escape route," so I was able to switch back and forth to make sure I understood what I was signing up for. This did lead to one small difficulty, however: I suddenly realized I was about to order three copies of "Chicken Run"! Interesting about the no-Dutch-Windows-beyond-Dutch-borders regulation. I wonder if they really meant the Netherlands, or rather North America? Don't give up yet!

Groetjes
snoezig
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Mother tongue: English
Second language: German

Postby elliottp » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Heh...I just had the same experience ordering from nlstore.nl. I usually use proxis and they have english as mentioned above but they didn't have what I wanted so I ended up at nlstore.com for the books I wanted.

No english? No problem! :D

As a side note, nlstore.com has shipping rates to the US more in line with proxis than bol.com does. Bol.com is a killer with that 17.50 euro surchage. Got the book I wanted for 23.50 shipped at nlstore vs 38.50 at bol.com
--Elliott--
elliottp
Lid

Country of residence: United States

Postby EetSmakelijk » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Oeps, the shipping said 3.50 euro or something, hope I didn't misunderstand it, lol. Oh well, we always learn from our costliest mistakes. ;)
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Snoezig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 pm

(This is a test -- I'm trying to get started with DSL on a Mac, and the dutchgrammar.com format is wildly altered.) Bol.com. Right. My husband ordered "Nederlands in Actie" from the Netherlands to Germany (we have similar hopes of speaking Dutch, although he's around 5 years ahead of me) and I nearly fell over when I saw the shipping charge: 19 euros. A quick check with proxis.be revealed that they would have charged around 2.50 for the same order. Live and learn! :-o

Groetjes uit Berlijn
snoezig
Last edited by Snoezig on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 pm

Geachte mevrouw (insert my name here),
Hartelijk dank voor uw bestelling bij bol.com.
Hierbij laten wij u weten dat uw bestelling is verzonden naar:
:D :D :D :grin: :grin: :grin: ...but it looks like only one of my CD sets has been mailed... Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Snoezig » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:56 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:Geachte mevrouw (insert my name here),
Hartelijk dank voor uw bestelling bij bol.com.
Hierbij laten wij u weten dat uw bestelling is verzonden naar:
:D :D :D :grin: :grin: :grin: ...but it looks like only one of my CD sets has been mailed... Groetjes,

Congratulations, geachte mevrouw EetSmakelijk! :-D
Hope that you'll be pleasantly surprised and receive more CDs than you're anticipating... Let us know how long it takes -- our order from bol.com must have walked from the Netherlands to Germany :D
Groetjes,
snoezig
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Postby Bieneke » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Snoezig wrote:(...) our order from bol.com must have walked from the Netherlands to Germany

Hahaha :D

Proficiat, Es, je allereerste online-aankoop in het Nederlands en het is (bijna) perfect gegaan. :-D)
Congratulations Es, your very first online purchase in Dutch and it went (almost) perfectly. ;-)
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby EetSmakelijk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 pm

...en nog een email...
- In bestelling:
Wij hebben het artikel helaas niet op voorraad en zullen het
bestellen bij de leverancier.
So I take this to mean that the other set of CDs that I ordered was not in stock and so they are ordering it from their supplier and who knows when it will arrive, lol.
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Bieneke » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:53 pm

Arme Es..
Het ging gewoon té goed allemaal.
Poor Es..
It all just went too well. :p

Bedankt voor de tip, Elliot. Ik ben echt geschokt over de hoge portokosten die ze je in rekening brengen!! Es, misschien moet je je bestelling maar annuleren en de CD bij proxis.be kopen.
Thanks Elliot, for the tip. I am really shocked by the enormous amount they charge you for shipping!! Perhaps you should cancel your order and buy it at proxis.be, Es.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Postby EetSmakelijk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:03 pm

I wasn't charged much for shipping, I wonder if maybe things have changed since. I will wait and see as one of my items is already mailed and I cannot cancel that. :grin: Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Snoezig » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Bedankt voor de tip, Elliot. Ik ben echt geschokt over de hoge portokosten die ze je in rekening brengen!! Es, misschien moet je je bestelling maar annuleren en de CD bij proxis.be kopen.
Thanks Elliot, for the tip. I am really shocked by the enormous amount they charge you for shipping!! Perhaps you should cancel your order and buy it at proxis.be, Es.

I'm adding my vote here. I'm still not over the shock of what we were charged for ordering Nederlands in Actie to be shipped right next door to Germany. Oh, my.
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks everybody for your concern, but my package has been mailed so I must just wait and see how much I pay in the end. I will certainly let you all know. :grin: Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 pm

...en ik heb gisteren mijn CDs in de post gekregen! ...and I received my CDs in the mail yesterday... well, only half of them as the other one wasn't in stock... I only paid about 3.5 euros for the shipping so no idea why others of you have had to pay so much.
My CDs are very cool, there are a lot of very funny Dutch kinderliedjes. :D
The 4th disc has a bunch of sinterklaasliedjes. Those are so funny, even when I don't quite understand all the words, they sound so happy and make me wanna dance. :grin: Actually, most kinderliedjes make me feel like dancing, :P
. I am very happy with my Dutch shopping experience, and will probably buy more stuff when I get tired of kinderliedjes which won't be for a long time, lol, I am becoming a kid again! :P
Groetjes from Canada,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Bieneke » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:56 pm

Joehoe! Dus binnenkort doe jij een Sinterklaas-podcast (zingend natuurlijk!)? :D
Yippee! So soon you will be doing a Sinterklaas podcast (singing, of course!)? :D
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Next

Return to Laughs and Learning