Your favourite things about Dutch

Funny stories about your learning experiences. Mondegreens, Silly mistakes, Jokes, Riddles and all kinds of fun stuff. Strange things you noticed about differences and similarities between Dutch and English (or German, French, Swahili, ..).

Your favourite things about Dutch

Postby EetSmakelijk » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 am

Ik heb een vraag.
I have a question. :D
What is/are your favourite thing/things about Dutch? Please give your reason(s) if you know it/them.
I'll start, to illustrate what I am asking. ;)

These are numbered, but in no particular order, just the order or disorder of my thoughts. :P

1. I love trying to guess zitten/liggen/staan/lopen/hangen. These are more difficult than de/het for me. I thought a keyboard was supposed to lie on a table, but apparently it stands. :P This is just too funny and I have had many laughing fits over these. :D

2. The letter g. :D De letter g. ;) It is too cool. I had trouble with it at first, but now I think it is fun. I also find gr a lot of fun and sometimes very funny to hear. A gr word can sometimes send me into fits of laughter. I don't mean to laugh at the language, but sometimes it just strikes me as funny. Never in a bad way though, just as entertaining.

3. The separation of er/daar/hier plus voorzetsel. I also find it cool when those separable verb prefixes go flying around all over the sentence and especially cool at the end. :grin: Maybe I am crazy, misschien ben ik gek? :P

4. Toch, maar, eens, even... love these little words, even though I am forever and always mixing them up, using them incorrectly, or simply not understanding what people mean with them...

5. Enzovoort. With me everything is and so on and so forth now. I go to write etc. and end up putting enzo in english sentences and having to backspace. :D

6. Hoor, the tussenwerpsel/interjection. I always use it wrong, but maybe one day I'll stop doing that. ;) Also love interjections in general.

7. The names for the parts of speech because they are finally not Latin based. I don't mind Latin, it's just that English and French both use Latin-derived names for the parts of speech, so it's nice to learn some good Dutch ones.

8. Having skype, msn, and Nero as well as this forum in the Dutch language. Gotta love all those Dutch words for computer things.

9. De woordvolgorde the word order... Gotta love those sentences that end in a heap of verbs. :D

10. Does Belgian chocolate count? :P

Ok, your list doesn't have to be 10 items, I just made it ten because that seemed right. As you can see I am crazy about languages and I try to become crazier so I can learn faster. :grin: :P ;)
Groetjes, and how could I forget, I love verkleinwoorden/diminutives almost as much as I love Belgian chocolate.
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Postby Leeuwin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:17 am

Dag Es,
I'm as crazy about language as you are, especially dutch. I think it's the most adorable, cute, sweet language that I ever came across. \:D/ \:D/

1) I find everything you said about dutch the same way. I'm so enthusiactic about dutch and other languages, it is so weird and funny that I found someone that feels the same way. Dat is heel grappig! :D In a good way. :D

2)The vowel combonations are out this world, such as, ij, ie, eu, ui, oe,... some examples of these vowel combonations in words are: bijten, blijven, gieten, liep, buigen, can't think right now of a word with eu, droeg, groef, sloeg ect.. Some of those pair of vowels, you'll never see in English, it's crazy. It's like entering a whole new world with new rules of how to spell, It's incredible. :lol: :lol:

3) I also like the fact that Dutch is not redondant in their constanants. At the end of a word, its always a single constanant, but if at the end of the word there is two different constanants, it stays the same. One will never see two tt, kk, dd, bb, rr, ecta, at the end words in dutch. The dutch keep it simple, there is no need to repeat a letter if there is already one there. It is very logical. I love that about dutch. :D I hope I wasn't too confusing. :?

4) Oh, I also love the words, how they look, they are sooo cute. Just reading a book in dutch, I come across so many words that look so beautiful.And when I hear it, this may seem a bit outrages, but it reminds me a bit of christmas. That's a bit funny. :D Every word that sounds cute or unique, its like opening a new present. I love it. :) Some examples are; ving, wist, woog, dwingen, lijken, klinken, kiezen, kruipen, klimmen, prijzen, springen, spijten, lopen,krijgen and there are so many more. I love how they are spelt and how thet are pronounced. :-P

5) I Also find the two dots over some of the vowels funny , such as; ë in belgië and Harriëtte...Ha! Ha! Ha!...don't mean to laugh, it was a little funny. But it looks very cute and it has a propose, to remind you to say that letter and type alt137 whenever you need it. :D

6) I also love, love, love, belgian chocolate!!!!! :D It is my favourite thing to eat!! :D

Well I'll probably find a whole bunch more that I find funny and very interesting about dutch!
Thanks this was a good idea! :-D :-D :lol: :lol:
Groetjes Leeuwin
Leeuwin
Superlid

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English

Postby EetSmakelijk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 am

Dag Leeuwin. :D
We zijn gek op talen! We are crazy about languages...especially Dutch. ;)
Yes, I agree, it is one of the cutest, sweetest languages I have ever had the pleasure of learning. :)
Of course, ever language has its beauty, but some of them just seem to stand out for me. :D
How could I forget how much I love Dutch spelling, so clean, so logical, so beautiful. :grin:
I know and understand and feel exactly what you mean about each word is like opening a gift. Oh my, it's so beautiful to be crazy! :P
Ok here's a fun exercise. In choir class we used to warm up our voices going a, e i o u, etc. Try it with all the Dutch sounds! It's so much fun to sing them, then to sing little words, then on and on. Then you can say them, and they come out of your mouth sounding like magic. A, aa, e ee, i ie, o, oo, u uu, oe, ou, enzovoort. I can't manage to sing ui. :razz:
It's so much fun to sing those sounds and to feel like you are transforming into a Dutchwoman. :D
Oh yes, I also love the trema the two dots accent thing. I just love to complain about typing it, but it's so cool anyway, I just wish windows had an easier way to type those accents. :razz:
Groetjes from a fellow person who is crazy about languages, ;)
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Leeuwin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Dag Es,

That's funny... I did the same thing in chorus class, with the vowels, a,e,i,o,u. I'm going to try the same with the dutch vowels, such as, iu,ui,ei,ie,aa,oo,uu, ecta, there so many combonations, its going to be fun just listing them all, and finding words with them. I'm not the greatest speaker or singer, but I think it will be fun practice, as long as no one hears me. I'll probably laugh at myself though... :lol: But that's just me.

Maybe we can make up song....just kidding!!!! :lol: :lol:

7) Another thing I like about dutch is those very long words. I have trouble saying them sometimes, because I overlook that the long words are made up of little words. In english there are maybe a couple of long words we say, but we end up shortening it, so its earier to say. In dutch there are soo many of them that the dutch use on regular basis. Such as, ondertussen, belangrijkest, geheimzinnig, teddybeertjes, woensdagmiddag, regenplassen, hardloopwedstrijd, chocoladetaarten, ecta, I'm sure there are longer words than that and a lot more of them. I love trying to say them and and spell them :D . I find it easier to write the bigger words, then writing all the little words in the sentence to make up that one big word. It's fun! Also the language is very flexibly, my mom who knows dutch, says that one could make up long words as long as it makes sense. And if other people are able to understand you. I love that idea. :-D It's a way to express yourself, in using (literaly) your own words.

I'm sure I am going to think of other things I like about dutch.
I agree that other laguages are as beautiful and unquie in their own way.
French, German, Latin, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, they are all so wonderful, where would we be if there was only one laguage in the world. I think I would be very bored.

Ohh... Have you ever tried Nutella? It tastes so good. Nutella is chocolate spread for your bread, pasteries, crosants, anything you want to have chocolate on. :D I love it. :D It tastes like heaven. I don't like pindakaast (peanut butter) so this is a great alternative. I've been eating it since I was a little girl, and I still can't get enough.

Groetjes Leeuwin, from a person who loves to learn to power of words.
Last edited by Leeuwin on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leeuwin
Superlid

Postby EetSmakelijk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Dag Leeuwin. No, I have never tried chocolate spread, but I have heard of it. It might be a bad idea for me to try, I would surely become addicted. :grin:
Yes, I love long words, try saying negenennegentig (99) there are longer numbers of course but I cannot spell them. ;)
Making up words is so much fun, and then there is my favourite thing, the "glue" to put them together, you know, sometimes you need an s, an n, or an en or whatever to stick two words together.
Here's a good example, I was trying to say love poem, I knew liefde and gedicht, but I put it together to make a "liefdegedicht" and my friend said you're close, it's liefdesgedicht with an s in between! :D It sounds so much prettier with the s in there, but I never would have guessed. ;)
Bieneke has a really nice page on compound words somewhere but I can't remember where it is. :cry:
Anybody have the link? :D
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Joke » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:50 pm

Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Postby EetSmakelijk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Bedankt, Joke. :grin: Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Leeuwin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:10 am

Dag Es, :D

8) Een andere dingen graag ik over nederlands, hun uitdrukkingen. Another thing I like about dutch is thier expresions. Such as;

Wat is er aan de hand? - What's wrong?
Wat mij betreft, is alles in orde. - As far as I'm concerned, everything is in order.
Het ligt voor de hand dat het onmogelijk is - I t goes without saying that it is impossible.

And there are so many more. Most dutch expressions don't look at all, to their english translations. I love trying to figure out what they mean. :D Sometimes what I geuss is the complete opposite, but then I save myself the embarresment of saying it in public where everyone knows dutch. I laugh at myself when I make those silly mistakes, but then I remember it better. Sometimes it takes a mistake to get it in my head and remember it for next time.

What are your favourite dutch expressions? :lol:
Groetjes Leeuwin :lol:
Leeuwin
Superlid

Postby EetSmakelijk » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:28 am

Dag Leeuwin. One of them is "dat maakt niet uit" that doesn't matter. Another I like is the way the dutch say nothing to do with, whereas english uses do, dutch uses make, niets te maken met...
I don't know all that many expressions yet.
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Dora » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:53 pm

What I like about Dutch:

1. It is similar to English. I can really reuse a lot of the existing knowledge in my brain.
2. It is not common to study. At least in America. So far, I've told nobody that I'm learning it, but someday, I may surprise someone that I know it.
3. It can be quite beautiful. I like all the double letters. Does any other language have more double letters? It can also be goofy. Sometimes I just think, "that's a word???"
example: lawaaierig. Same with the way words sound. Perfectly balanced between beautiful and goofy. :)
4. Verbs are easy. Well, compared to a lot of other languages. Present tense is mostly regular and somehow I memorize the past participles quickly. (I don't know how I do it.)
5. Dutch is easy to parse. When I listen, I can tell the word boundaries easily. I think it is because the stress is usually on the first syllable.
6. Mug of beer = mosquito or bear. :D
7. The word "wereld". I just love to hear people say it.

What I don't like:
All pronunciation guides I have seen assume you have an English accent. I don't mind that they spell the English with the British spelling, but I'm not going to learn an English accent just so I can learn a foreign language. I'd rather start from scratch with the sounds.

That's all I can think of now.
Dora
Superlid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Postby EetSmakelijk » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 am

Hoi, Dora! I love your idea about a perfect balance of beautiful and goofey, well said!
I cannot easily tell where words end, that is one of my biggest problems, but it's probably due to my hearing impairment and nothing to do with Dutch. ;)
When I tell people I am learning Dutch for fun they usually say, wow, Dutch, that's hard. :grin:
It's funny that people think that, Dutch isn't any harder than any other language, it's just too funny that people think that the language most people don't learn is the hardest one. Oh well, I suppose I feel the same way about some other languages, I think they are so hard to learn that I probably wouldn't try, but if I tried, I'd realize they weren't so hard after all. :P
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Dora » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:23 am

Es, I'm sorry to learn you have a hearing impairment. I have great hearing, but really, I can't parse speech worth a darn usually. Even in English, if it is spoken rapidly. But after listening to Dutch radio for the last few months, I have gotten to know the rhythm of the language. I can usually pick out most of the words. Of course I don't know what most of them mean. I try to at least guess which are the verbs and figure out the sentence structure from that.

I had no idea how easy or hard Dutch would be before I started. I literally knew nothing about the language nine months ago. Didn't know a single word or anything.

Dora
Dora
Superlid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Postby Snoezig » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Some of my favo(u)rite things about Dutch (not in order of importance) ...

1. IJ and ij, even after the major disappointment of learning it's not pronounced the way I thought it would be. (Or is that "they?") :P

2. Some of the (to me) most aggravating aspects of German appear to be missing. Yippee!

3.Finding out that there's a Nederlandse versie of Jingle Bells, and hearing Es sing it! :lol:

4.Enzovoort, no question about it.

5. Belgian chocolate (any chocolate, for that matter)

6.Thanks to English and German, being able to figure out quite a lot of Dutch without bothering to study. :-? (Maybe that's not such a good thing, though?)

7. Dutch diminutives

8. Noticing that some of the German g and ch sounds can be used as a reference/starting point for certain sounds in Belgian Dutch (see no. 6 -- I can be lazy on occasion)

9. Jip en Janneke

10. Belgian chocolate (you can never have enough on hand)

Groetjes
snoezig
Last edited by Snoezig on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Second language: German

Postby EetSmakelijk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:34 am

Awwwwwwwww Snoezig, now you are making me blush with your number 3 reason. :oops: :grin:
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Bieneke » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:47 am

Hoi Snoezig,

I am sorry but the number 8 followed by a closing bracket ) automatically turns into a 8). If you add, for example, a space between 8 and ), it will not appear as a cool emoticon.
Last edited by Bieneke on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Next

Return to Laughs and Learning