Your favourite things about Dutch

Funny stories about your learning experiences. Mondegreens, Silly mistakes, Jokes, Riddles and all kinds of fun stuff. Strange things you noticed about differences and similarities between Dutch and English (or German, French, Swahili, ..).

Postby Snoezig » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:37 pm

Bieneke wrote:Hoi Snoezig,

I am sorry but the number 8 followed by a closing bracket ) automatically turns into a 8). If you add, for example, a space between 8 and ), it will not appear as a cool emoticon.

Bedankt, Bieneke!

Nu is mijn achtste waarom-ik-het-Nederlands-geweldig-vind reden niet meer cool, maar jouw oplossing vind ik echt 8) !
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Mother tongue: English
Second language: German

Re: Your favourite things about Dutch

Postby Pellë » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:31 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:2. The letter g. :D De letter g. ;) It is too cool. I had trouble with it at first, but now I think it is fun. I also find gr a lot of fun and sometimes very funny to hear. A gr word can sometimes send me into fits of laughter. I don't mean to laugh at the language, but sometimes it just strikes me as funny. Never in a bad way though, just as entertaining.

8. Having skype, msn, and Nero as well as this forum in the Dutch language. Gotta love all those Dutch words for computer things.

haha, yes, probably these. I have all my chatting programs in Dutch and I love pronouncing the Dutch G. :)
Pellë
Lid

Country of residence: Sweden
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English

Postby MysticalChicken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

I haven't been learning for all that long (only a few months) so my list will probably be kind of short... sorry.

I love the word "meisje" (girl), I think it sounds so pretty. Also one I just learned, "kapot" (broken)--it made me giggle when I first learned it. It's kind of like "kaput" in English. I love words with the ij combination, too.

Someone mentioned Nutella in one of the posts on the first page. We have that over here too; I love Nutella (it's actually a chocolate/hazelnut spread). I don't have any right now though! Now I want some. Oh, and my mom went to Cost Plus World Market (a store that sells imported stuff, in case you don't have any where you live) near our house, and bought this chocolate-cappuccino spread imported from the Netherlands that was freakishly delicious and oh god ik wil meer! The jar was kind of short and wide and the spread was dark-brown and white striped. I have no idea what this stuff was actually called.
MysticalChicken
Lid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Postby Joke » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:43 pm

I think you're referring to Duo Penotti.
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Postby MysticalChicken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:30 pm

I don't know, that says it's hazelnut spread and I know the kind I had was chocolate/cappuccino-flavored. Also the jar was shorter and not tapered toward the bottom, and the spread had more stripes.
MysticalChicken
Lid

Postby Joke » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Then I have no idea...
Joke

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Postby EetSmakelijk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Yeah, kapot is a delightful word. :P ;)
The funny thing about Dutch words is that often seem so much more like what they mean than the English word. I can't think of any examples right now, of course. :P
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Postby MysticalChicken » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 am

Ooh, I thought of another one. I learned that binoculars in Dutch is "verekijker" (I think I may have spelled that wrong. How many r's are there?), which apparently translates literally to "far-looker". I love that so much.
MysticalChicken
Lid

Postby Nineor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 pm

I love that is it so confusing :p sometimes I can read through a long text and it all makes total sense, then suddenly, I can't even get one single sentence right from another text (after a while that gets annoying though)

I love the word mooi
...and diminutives

and I kinda like the fact that they still have a formal form. Event though I think many people (all over the world) demand more respect than they deserve, it would be nice to be able to use a formal form when one wants to. (Norwegian has one, but I haven't heard it used by anyone under the age of 80, and not in a loooooong time)
Nineor
Waardevol lid

Mother tongue: Norwegian

Postby Quetzal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Nineor wrote:I love that is it so confusing :p sometimes I can read through a long text and it all makes total sense, then suddenly, I can't even get one single sentence right from another text (after a while that gets annoying though)

That makes a lot of sense, seeing how we have the same thing with Norwegian. ;) Sometimes there'll be entire sentences that are extremely close to Dutch, and then in the next sentence there's a few unfamiliar words and you've got no clue what it says anymore.
Quetzal

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Previous

Return to Laughs and Learning