Dutch swearing

Funny stories about your learning experiences. Mondegreens, Silly mistakes, Jokes, Riddles and all kinds of fun stuff. Strange things you noticed about differences and similarities between Dutch and English (or German, French, Swahili, ..).

Dutch swearing

Postby RensWilders » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new here. Really nice to read everything on this forum.
What do you think about the way Dutch people swear? It's very special, they don't swear with shit or fuck (don't even know how to say that in dutch!) but with religion and especially with diseases like cancer! I have to say: I was a bit shocked when I heard it the first time! What do you think?
RensWilders
Nieuwkomer

Re: Dutch swearing

Postby Quetzal » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:34 pm

RensWilders wrote:Hi everybody, I'm new here. Really nice to read everything on this forum.
What do you think about the way Dutch people swear? It's very special, they don't swear with shit or fuck (don't even know how to say that in dutch!) but with religion and especially with diseases like cancer! I have to say: I was a bit shocked when I heard it the first time! What do you think?

Religion is fairly normal in any language, "goddamnit" is normal enough in English too. The diseases... yeah. I'm Flemish, and I agree that the Dutch obsession with cancer is fairly disturbing. :p
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Postby Bieneke » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:33 pm

Hoi Rens,

Here is an interesting article about the use of diseases in Dutch swearing:
http://home.bluemarble.net/~langmin/miniatures/dutch.htm

From this article:

A century and a half or so ago when all these dreaded diseases were common in Europe, wishing them on someone was everywhere one of the most brutally direct forms of cursing. Nowadays when all but one or two have pretty much vanished from daily life, the words themselves have receded to a few isolated examples. In English you probably won't find diseases to wish on people beyond pox and plague, and even these two sound distinctly harmless and quaint.

The Dutch are unique in Europe in retaining this relic from the past. But in the Netherlands it is anything but a museum 'relic'. It is a living form of expression that is being continually embroidered on and added to. Only in the last few years has it been possible to hear someone called an aidslijer. Just as everywhere else in the vocabulary of a language, its speakers are continuously updating and expanding their linguistic resources to meet their current needs.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby EetSmakelijk » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Hahaha, I have to say I was also shocked when I learned that the Dutch often swore with diseases...
So Quetzal, how do Flemish people swear, is it only religion? :P
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Postby Quetzal » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:Hahaha, I have to say I was also shocked when I learned that the Dutch often swore with diseases...
So Quetzal, how do Flemish people swear, is it only religion? :P
Groetjes,

Nah, not just religion... although most are religion-related. Sometimes derived from French, like "nondedju" from "nom de dieu" and the like. As for the rest, like in English, I guess... although we don't always translate. "Shit" is common enough, as are the French and occasionally even German translations ("merde" and "scheisse"), but oddly enough the Dutch translations are very rare and only used by people who want to make a point.

Of course, that's in here... don't ask me what people in Limburg or in West-Flanders, or even in Ghent, use to swear.
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Postby ''' » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:52 am

There was a thread on this in unilang. I know you can just put kut- before pretty much any word to make them negative.
'''
Lid

Postby NikkiK » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:41 pm

He there, have I just been unlucky ?

The last 2 people I spoke to in chatrooms swore like troopers. It was awful, and I haven't been back !! :(

The 'F' word was used frequently and I was beginning to wonder if this was normal and the obscenity rating was different from here in England ?!!

Any feedback would be welcome from you guys and gals from the NL and Belgium.

Nikki
xx
NikkiK
Lid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Spanish

Postby BrutallyFrank » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:08 am

I guess that a lot depends on the kind of chatroom you're in. It may have to do with the subjects that they chat about, but also the age is a big part of that problem. And also: where do these people come from (urban?). What language is used?

I think that a good Mod should warn people when they use foul language, but it all depends!
"Moe nie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie geseg wanneer nie!)

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator

Second language: English
Fourth language: French

Postby NikkiK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 pm

He BrutallyFrank, I should confirm that it wasn't the dutchgrammar.com chatroom :-). It was a general one although late at night. Perhaps I should try again during the day-time. It was good practise.

Without wanting to flog a dead horse, there was something else that also made me wonder about the obscenity ratings of swear words between our countries in that last year I watched a series specifically aimed at teenagers called Fok jou! :

http://www.omroep.nl/nps/fokjou/

Do you or anyone else feel that there is an international difference in the meaning/interpretation of swear words ?

Nikki
xx
NikkiK
Lid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Spanish

Postby Wim » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 pm

If you want to know the latest facts on Dutch invectives, see

Piet van Sterkenburg: Krachttermen, Scheldwoorden, vervloekingen, verwensingen, beledigingen, smeekbeden en bezweringen. S.l. [= Leiden?]: Scriptum, s.a. [= 2008]. ISBN 978 90 5594 609 0.

Price: € 16,00 (http://www.scriptum.nl)

Wim
Wim
Native speaker & moderator

Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Quite a lot.

Postby AppelstroopIsLekker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:39 pm

RensWilders wrote:Hi everybody, I'm new here. Really nice to read everything on this forum.

I've heard both shit (sjit) and fuck. And fuck is so great in the mouth of a Dutchman because they still say it with the short Dutch u, which makes it surprisingly charming.
AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid

Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Postby Leen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm

NikkiK wrote:He there, have I just been unlucky ?

The last 2 people I spoke to in chatrooms swore like troopers. It was awful, and I haven't been back !! :(

The 'F' word was used frequently and I was beginning to wonder if this was normal and the obscenity rating was different from here in England ?!!

Any feedback would be welcome from you guys and gals from the NL and Belgium.

I seem to be reviving an old topic here, but hey, I thought it was interesting!

Saying the F-word isn't that uncommon (at least not in the places I have been/lived in Belgium), but it doesn't sound at all as obscene to Belgians/Dutchmen as it does to you, just because it isn't a Dutch word. If someone went around and said 'neuk' the whole time, I would be shocked too. :-D
Leen
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Postby Jae » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Leen wrote:Saying the F-word isn't that uncommon (at least not in the places I have been/lived in Belgium), but it doesn't sound at all as obscene to Belgians/Dutchmen as it does to you, just because it isn't a Dutch word. If someone went around and said 'neuk' the whole time, I would be shocked too. :-D

I've also seen 'fok' used as a swear word (presumably by analogy with 'fuck'). I'm curious--does that have a somewhat weaker profanity connotation than the borrowed 'fuck', or are they exactly synonymous?

And one more question: you can't actually use 'neuken' as a swear word, right? It only has a literal (although vulgar) meaning?
Mijn moedertaal: Engels. Mijn tweede taal: Duits.
Mijn derde, vierde, en vijfde talen: Spaans, Frans, en Nederlands (maar die ben ik nog aan het leren!)
Jae
Superlid

Postby Leen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:13 pm

No, you can't :) Well, I've heard someone say 'wa ne neuktekst' ('wat een neuktekst') once, but it certainly isn't a normal thing to say.
Leen

Postby Leen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:18 pm

I forgot to answer your first question: I think they are synonymous (fok is perhaps a tad less profane) What do other people think around here? :)
Leen

Next

Return to Laughs and Learning