Opnieuw en alweer

[voegwoorden]
You can use a conjunction to link words, phrases, and clauses: "I studied for weeks but I passed my exam." "Can you see anything or is it too dark?" "Tell me when you are ready to go." "He is taller than I." "He made notes while[/] the teacher was talking."
anthony7041
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Opnieuw en alweer

Post by anthony7041 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I searched the forum by I couldn't really find anything useful on this topic. My understanding is that both of these words mean "again". I am told by my Dutch girlfriend that there is no difference. I refuse to believe this though. Explanation please? Bedankt!

andreengels
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Re: Opnieuw en alweer

Post by andreengels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:00 pm

There is a distinct difference in connotation. "Alweer" is negative. If someone says "alweer", they don't like that something is happening again. "Opnieuw" is less clear in connotation, but if I have to say something I would guess it is mostly used when you think of a specific previous time when the same thing happened. The neutral way of saying again is "weer".

andreengels
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Re: Opnieuw en alweer

Post by andreengels » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 am

Note that the situation is somewhat more complex than I wrote - there are other meanings of "alweer". It can also be used as alweer = al weer = already again: Hij had gisteren een ongeluk, maar vandaag rijdt hij alweer. In that case it doesn't even have to be "again", it can even be just "already": If someone says "Jan en Marie zijn alweer gescheiden" it may well be their first divorce. You can even get the combination "alweer opnieuw" that way.