The letter R

[voegwoorden]
You can use a conjunction to link words, phrases, and clauses: "I studied for weeks but I passed my exam." "Can you see anything or is it too dark?" "Tell me when you are ready to go." "He is taller than I." "He made notes while[/] the teacher was talking."
Asjraf
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Tunisia
Mother tongue: Arabic
Second language: French
Third language: English
Fourth language: Turkish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Maltese

The letter R

Post by Asjraf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:16 am

Goeie dag!
I read that the letter R is pronounced like the English R at the end of the word and before a consonant.
Yet I hear folks pronouncing the R in naar like the French one.
Help me alsjeblieft! :)

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Re: The letter R

Post by Joke » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:56 pm

There are huge regional differences in the pronunciation of the letter R in Dutch.

At the beginning of a word or syllable most people roll their Rs. Sometimes in the throat, like the French and sometimes with the tong, like the Spanish.
Many (most?) people pronounce the R at the end of a syllable more or less like an English R, that is, not rolling. But some people even roll the R at the end of a word, depending on where they grew up.

If you want to sound Dutch, make sure you roll your Rs at the beginning of words or syllables. How you pronounce the R at the end of words is not so important, as all Dutchies do it differently anyway :)

Hope that solves the confusion!

Joke