Subordinate conjunctions

[voegwoorden]
You can use a conjunction to link words, phrases, and clauses: "I studied for weeks but I passed my exam." "Can you see anything or is it too dark?" "Tell me when you are ready to go." "He is taller than I." "He made notes while[/] the teacher was talking."
Fiona
Lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom

Subordinate conjunctions

Post by Fiona » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:14 pm

In Dutch, does the word order change after words like because, although, that or other subordinating conjunctions? Like this (I'll have to give examples in English because my Dutch isn't good enough):

I like ice cream beacause it nice tastes.
I went to the park although the weather bad was.

I apologise if this is on the site, but I'm still learning the perfect tense, and haven't got this far, but the word of Dutch and German seems almost identical, and this happens in German.

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Word order in the subordinating clause

Post by Bieneke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:20 am

Fiona wrote:In Dutch, does the word order change after words like because, although, that or other subordinating conjunctions? Like this (I'll have to give examples in English because my Dutch isn't good enough):
I like ice cream beacause it nice tastes.
I went to the park although the weather bad was.
Yes, the word order in a subordinating clause changes precisely the way you illustrated in your examples.

I like ice cream because it nice tastes.
Ik houd van ijs omdat het lekker smaakt.

I went to the park although the weather bad was
Ik ging naar het park hoewel het weer slecht was.

You are also right about the German word order: It is indeed very similar to the Dutch word order.

If you would like to read more about it, you can visit http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=WordOrder.55