simple past

[voegwoorden]
You can use a conjunction to link words, phrases, and clauses: "I studied for weeks but I passed my exam." "Can you see anything or is it too dark?" "Tell me when you are ready to go." "He is taller than I." "He made notes while[/] the teacher was talking."
Ola
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Arabic
Second language: English

simple past

Post by Ola » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:59 pm

I want to ask about the simple past of this sentence : De Industriële Revolutie begon in Engeland.
what about the verb " begon " because in the simple past the verb should end with te/ten de/den .. is it irregular verb and how to conjugate it in the simple present and the simple past

Crecker
Superlid
Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian
Second language: English

Re: simple past

Post by Crecker » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Ola!

I'm not a native speaker but I'll try to answer you.

Like you said, "beginnen" is an irregular verb (they are called "strong verbs" though). There are 7 classes of strong verbs, "beginnen" belongs to the 3rd class. Its conjugation in present, past and perfect tenses is:

Beginnen Begon/Begonnen Begonnen

You can find the correct conjugation of each verb consulting any dictionaries. As online dictionaries I suggest you Interglot.com and Mijnwoordenboek.nl .

Anyway, I would suggest you to study the classes of strong verbs, it's very useful to know how verbs are conjugated. You can find useful information on this course written by ngonyama, a member of this forum:

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dutch

Enjoy! :)
ImageImage
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
En vlug, voor de laatste bus...