Difference between daarna / nadat / na

[voegwoorden]
You can use a conjunction to link words, phrases, and clauses: "I studied for weeks but I passed my exam." "Can you see anything or is it too dark?" "Tell me when you are ready to go." "He is taller than I." "He made notes while[/] the teacher was talking."
mazzatex
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Difference between daarna / nadat / na

Post by mazzatex » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi there!

Hello to you all - I'm new on hear, but it looks like a really good site!! Well Done!

Anyway, could you tell me please, the difference between daarna, nadat and na. I think I might know already but am not sure:

'na' you use to mean after but follow it with a noun:
Na het ontbijt, heb ik naar mijn werk gefietst.

'nadat' you use to indicate something will have happened/occurred:

Nadat we hebben gegeten, gaan we naar het feest.

'daarna' you can only use in a 'first...then/after...' type situation:
Eerst moet ik dit opruimen, daarna zullen we eten.

Also, only 'nadat' is subordinating: its a subordinating conjunction. But what about the other two? What category of words do these fall into?!

Am I correct with these sentences? Personally, I don't find them that easy!

Thanks,
Matt

ps- if I have made any errors in the above sentences, if you could point these out too please! thanks!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:15 pm

You are correct about "na" - used with nouns. "Nadat" is, as you also said, the version for verbs that makes them subordinate; it's not necessarily related to the future though. Works in the past too:

"Nadat we gegeten hadden, gingen we naar het feest."

As for "daarna", it's an adverb. As for the use, like you said, it's used when summing up several things that will happen, that are happening or that have happened in a certain order.

On an unrelated note, do try to post questions in the correct place, makes it easier both for us, and for other people who may be interested in our answer to your question.

Edit by Bieneke: I moved the rest of this topic about 'ben/heb gefietst here' to the Verbs subforum: viewtopic.php?t=792.

Nyemlo
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Shona

"After that"

Post by Nyemlo » Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 pm

I am new here .I am dying to be able to speak  and write dutch :o .Ik ben een vrouw vanuit Zimbabwe, en ik woon in Zwartsluis.

I need to know how to use conjunctions to make a sentence.e.g  how do I make a sentence like.." I am going swimming and after that I will go out with my friend"
I know I can make it..

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Sat May 12, 2007 12:24 am

Nyemlo wrote:I am new here .I am dying to be able to speak  and write dutch :o .Ik ben een vrouw vanuit Zimbabwe, en ik woon in Zwartsluis.

I need to know how to use conjunctions to make a sentence.e.g  how do I make a sentence like.." I am going swimming and after that I will go out with my friend"
"Ik ga zwemmen, en daarna ga ik uit met mijn vriend."

(Strictly speaking you could use the future tense in the latter part, but it looks very weird.)

What conjunctions exactly do you need to know? In general, the thing to watch out for is what we call "inversie" and the difference between "co-ordinate" and "sub-ordinate" conjunctions... see the grammar part of the site for that (under Word Order).