Usage of "dus"and "dan

[modale partikels]
The Dutch use words like 'nou', 'toch', 'hoor', 'maar', 'wel', 'eens', or 'even' to modify the tone of a sentence. Their only function is to reflect the mood or attitude of the speaker. In spoken Dutch, there is hardly a phrase that does not contain one of these hard-to-explain words.
aceman91
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Usage of "dus"and "dan

Post by aceman91 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Hoi there

Really having trouble with the use of dus and dan in Dutch, the following sentences are troubling me most;
- In Nederland is het al eng om in het bos te lopen, maar hier kwamen dus elanden en beren voor (why is dus in there?)
-S'middags zaten we dan vaak te tekenen (In the mornings we drew often) why would you put dan in there, which would make it ïn the mornings we drew then often"

Ik zou het waarderen als iemand mij kan helpen :)

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Usage of "dus"and "dan

Post by ngonyama » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:05 pm

aceman91 wrote:Hoi there

Really having trouble with the use of dus and dan in Dutch, the following sentences are troubling me most;
- In Nederland is het al eng om in het bos te lopen, maar hier kwamen dus elanden en beren voor (why is dus in there?)
-S'middags zaten we dan vaak te tekenen (In the mornings we drew often) why would you put dan in there, which would make it ïn the mornings we drew then often"

Ik zou het waarderen als iemand mij kan helpen :)
Ah! An excellent question, yes, why is it there indeed.... It really should not be, but people started to put it there sometime in the 70s? 80s? I suppose in this newly gained usage it means something like "immers": it reminds the listener that something is being said that the listener probably already knows, just to make sure that the connection is made. For a while this form of "dus" became a real "stopwoord" like "eh" "ehm" "you know" or "I was, like, ..." , dus soms twee of drie keer in een zin dus. ( :x )

The use of "dan" is older and simply puts the listener in a period of the past. It conveys that something was usual in that period.

aceman91
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Post by aceman91 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Bedankt voor het antwoorden :), maar wat betekent dan "ik ben dus .............." - I am................ you know, ik ben een beetje in de war

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 am

aceman91 wrote:Bedankt voor het antwoorden :), maar wat betekent dan "ik ben dus .............." - I am................ you know, ik ben een beetje in de war
more or less: "As you may have noticed, I am a little confused." of "I am a little confused, you see".

grizzler
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands

Post by grizzler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm

aceman91 wrote:-S'middags
Ouch! That really makes my toenails curl. :-)

What used to be des middags changed to 's middags over time. If you start a sentence with that, the main word gets the capital: 's Middags.

Besides, middag is afternoon, not morning.

Just for the record...