usage of al and nog

[modale partikels]
The Dutch use words like 'nou', 'toch', 'hoor', 'maar', 'wel', 'eens', or 'even' to modify the tone of a sentence. Their only function is to reflect the mood or attitude of the speaker. In spoken Dutch, there is hardly a phrase that does not contain one of these hard-to-explain words.
aceman91
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

usage of al and nog

Post by aceman91 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi guys

Really don't get these two sentences "Ben je eigenlijk al in New York geweest" - really not too sure what al means in this context, for me it translates as "Have you actually already been to New York", which sounds a bit strange to me.

Also in the sentences ik bel hem nog even over de rekening - why is nog there? - Is it something to do with the fact that the indirect object is already aware of why he is getting a bill, or am i looking to deep into it,haha. And also in the sentence Ik wist nog niet dat hij Lars heette, and in the sentence Ik wist nog niks - what is the purpose of nog?

Any help is much appreciated

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: usage of al and nog

Post by ngonyama » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 am

aceman91 wrote:Hi guys

Really don't get these two sentences "Ben je eigenlijk al in New York geweest" - really not too sure what al means in this context, for me it translates as "Have you actually already been to New York", which sounds a bit strange to me.

Also in the sentences ik bel hem nog even over de rekening - why is nog there? - Is it something to do with the fact that the indirect object is already aware of why he is getting a bill, or am i looking to deep into it,haha. And also in the sentence Ik wist nog niet dat hij Lars heette, and in the sentence Ik wist nog niks - what is the purpose of nog?

Any help is much appreciated
The first sentence means something like "Oh by the way, have you been in New York yet?"

In "ik bel hem nog even over de rekening" nog means something like "to be absolutely sure"

In the last two sentences nog simply means "yet"

andreengels
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Re: usage of al and nog

Post by andreengels » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:30 am

aceman91 wrote: Really don't get these two sentences "Ben je eigenlijk al in New York geweest" - really not too sure what al means in this context, for me it translates as "Have you actually already been to New York", which sounds a bit strange to me.
I'd say it mostly functions to give a kind of judgement that the person spoken to should go to New York at some time - either in the past or the future.
Also in the sentences ik bel hem nog even over de rekening - why is nog there? - Is it something to do with the fact that the indirect object is already aware of why he is getting a bill, or am i looking to deep into it,haha.
It functions a bit as a declaration of future time. He is not going to call immediately after this conversation, but he will do so in the future.
And also in the sentence Ik wist nog niet dat hij Lars heette, and in the sentence Ik wist nog niks - what is the purpose of nog?/quote]

'Nog niet' is can be literally translated into English as 'not yet'. Thus, the speaker makes clear that at the time discussed s/he did not know it, but that s/he did know it at some later time.