Name pronounciation

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
Taylor
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Germany
Mother tongue: German
Second language: English
Third language: French

Name pronounciation

Post by Taylor » Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello there!

I need some help from you dutch speakers. On an american website I came across the name "Schuyler" which apparently is a unisex name in the US. They pronounce (and often even spell) it "Sky-ler". The website says it is a dutch name (maybe even surname?). Since I live in Germany a dutch name with an american pronounciation would be just weird. A dutch name with dutch pronounciation on the other hand would work. (Not that I'm looking for a name right now, I was just wondering about that one.)

So, could someone give me a hint?

Thanks a lot!

Taylor

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Name pronounciation

Post by Quetzal » Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Taylor wrote:Hello there!

I need some help from you dutch speakers. On an american website I came across the name "Schuyler" which apparently is a unisex name in the US. They pronounce (and often even spell) it "Sky-ler". The website says it is a dutch name (maybe even surname?). Since I live in Germany a dutch name with an american pronounciation would be just weird. A dutch name with dutch pronounciation on the other hand would work. (Not that I'm looking for a name right now, I was just wondering about that one.)

So, could someone give me a hint?

Thanks a lot!

Taylor
That's definitely a surname. And while "Skyler" is obviously a long way from the correct pronunciation, I guess I'd encourage Americans to pronounce it that way too. :P The sounds "sch" and "ui" (as "uy" is spelled nowadays) are both extremely difficult for English speakers. Should be easier for German speakers, but still they are sounds that don't have exact equivalents in German (at least not in High German, maybe in some northwestern German dialects).

Vilmos
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: Afrikaans
Fourth language: German

Post by Vilmos » Thu May 17, 2012 5:06 am

If you understand the International Phonetic Alphabet (see also here in German), it is something like this in the Netherlands: sxœylər and sçœylər in Flanders (northern part of Belgium, for the record).

Taylor
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Germany
Mother tongue: German
Third language: French

Post by Taylor » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for your help!

I think I can imagine it now, I know what you mean with the "ui" sound and I imagine the "sch" sound a little like the German "ch" or maybe somewhere between "ch" and "sch" but definitely no "sk" as in the American pronounciation.