Dutch Proverb?

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
Stella71
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Dutch Proverb?

Post by Stella71 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 am

Help. I am putting together a video of photos and the like of my Oma, who died a few weeks ago. It will be played at her memorial service. She was from Rotterdam and moved the the U.S. in the 1950s. I found a lovely song that she liked called De Kleinste to play with the pictures, but I would like to end with a nice quote about life or love or family. I would like it to be a surprise for my mother and aunts, so I was hoping someone might know something appropriate in Dutch with the English translation. Thank you.

AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Re: Dutch Proverb?

Post by AppelstroopIsLekker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 am

Hi there, sorry about your grandma.

It's really hard to just think of something off the top of your head like that, especially without context. Its really typical Dutch style to write poetry about the deceased. Not a funeral goes by without a poem or two with really awful rhymes and lots of cheesy imagery.

Maybe if you have a small poem, one of us could help you out with it. Just, without all the traditional tackiness, of course.

:D

Stella71
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States

Re: Dutch Proverb?

Post by Stella71 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 am

Yes. Thank you. She was 94 and led a good life. Unfortunately I cannot be there and am sending this memorial tribute to be played. It is made up of photos of Oma through the years, set to De Kleinste. I just wanted a nice word or two at the end. Currently I have (in English) "You were always loved. You will always be missed.".But I thought if there was a Dutch proverb or saying that fit about a long life or family legacy it might be nice. If not, I'll just keep it simple.

Thank you for any help Or opinion you can offer.