Ik schreef een e-mail.

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
cumana
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Polish
Second language: English (Great Britain)

Ik schreef een e-mail.

Post by cumana » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello guys, on first I would want to thank you for your work, it's really impressive that such a well-prepared Dutch handbook is available on-line (: I've been learning it for only a few days, so please be tolerant. I would be very grateful if you checked it and pointed out my mistakes. This is letter to my friend - these sentences are undeniably foolish, though my only aim is to practise (:
Hallo Paulina,
ik heet Bartek en ik ben uit Polen. Ik hoorde dat je lust eten te, zo ik schreef een e-mail. Het is mijn vraag: wat lust je eten? Ik lust jeuw caken eten. Buiten de voeding, ik ben aan het leren Nederlands. Ik leer Nederlands omdat ik wil clever man worden, en je? Wil je clever man worden te? In algemeen, ik lust het leren. Ik ben wezen studeren de laatste jaaren, en het was mathematica wat ik studeerde. Ook ik ga zelfs strafer dingen leren, je wet - elektronika, het programmeren, etc. Wat gaat je doen? Schrijf aan mij!
kusjes,
Bartek

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Ik schreef een e-mail.

Post by ngonyama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 pm

cumana wrote:Hello guys, on first I would want to thank you for your work, it's really impressive that such a well-prepared Dutch handbook is available on-line (: I've been learning it for only a few days, so please be tolerant. I would be very grateful if you checked it and pointed out my mistakes. This is letter to my friend - these sentences are undeniably foolish, though my only aim is to practise (:
Hallo Paulina,
ik heet Bartek en ik benkom uit Polen. Ik hoorde dat je graaglust eten lust te, zodus heb ik schreef een e-mail geschreven. Het is Mmijn vraag is: wat lust je etengraag? Ik lusthoud van jeuwjouw cakesn eten. Buiten de voedingAfgezien van eten, ben ik ben aan het leren Nederlands aan het leren. Ik leer Nederlands omdat ik wil een cleverintelligent man wil worden, en jejij? Wil je clever man worden teook knap worden? In het algemeen,houd ik lust hetvan leren. Ik heb ben wezen studeren de laatste jaarenjaren gestudeerd, en het was mathematicawiskunde watdat ik studeerde. Ook ga ik ga zelfs strafer ?? no idea what you mean dingen leren, je wet your law?? - elektronikaelektronica, het programmeren, etc. Wat gaatga je doen? Schrijf aan mij!
kusjes,
Bartek
A few things you can easily improve:

Dutch word order is tricky, e.g. if you put an adverb or expression at the start of the sentence the subject and the verb swap places (inversion):

Ik houd van cake.
Ook houd ik van cake.

In the second person (jij/je) inversion changes the verb ending:

Je gaat iets doen
Wat ga je doen?

If you emphasize the pronoun, like in "And yóú" you must always use the full pronoun: "En jíj?" The form je cannot carry emphasis.

RichWes
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Re: Ik schreef een e-mail.

Post by RichWes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey Bartek,

Welcome to this forum. You can learn here a lot of the Dutch language :wink:. When you are ready for it, you can also post your Dutch texts at 'the Dutch Corner' (het Nederlandstalig hoekje) on this forum. There is a special section in it for starters of the Dutch language.

I think that you want to say with 'strafer' the word straffer. This is a Flamish Dutch word and is not known in The Netherlands, therefore Ngonyama didn't knew it probably. One of the informal meanings of that word straffer is 'better' or 'wiser'. So, the sentence that you want to make in my opinion is: '(Nowadays) I'm even learn things wiser, you know'. The regular translation in Dutch of 'wiser' is 'verstandiger' (and 'better' is 'beter'). Please use these words and not straffer anymore, because people don't understand you then :wink:.

Finally, the Dutch translation of 'you know' is 'weet je' (so other way written), but a lot of language users get annoyed at the increasing use of such stopgaps (also by native Dutch speakers too). So, my advice is to temper the using of those stopgaps as much as possible, certainly in written Dutch :wink:.

Good luck with practise of your Dutch.

Greeting,

Richard