help translating to Dutch?

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
njr3307
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

help translating to Dutch?

Post by njr3307 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:18 am

Hi,

I'm trying to find a volunteer opportunity in the Netherlands as part of a broader project. I don't know how to speak Dutch, but if I found a place to volunteer I would start teaching myself and ideally take lessons as well. I have found a place I'd like to volunteer, but need help translating my email into Dutch. Could anyone help me translate it?

Here it is:

"Hello,
I am a United States university student and am trying to put together a fellowship project for after I graduate. As part of the project I'd like to spend a month or two volunteering at _______. From what I've read online, ______ seems like a great place. Do you ever accept volunteers? Unfortunately, I don't know Dutch at this point, but if I was able to volunteer, I would work hard to learn as quickly as I can.
Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
All the best,
-______"

Thanks in advance for the help!!

CharlyV

Re: help translating to Dutch?

Post by CharlyV » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 pm

"Hello,
I am a United States university student and am trying to put together a fellowship project for after I graduate. As part of the project I'd like to spend a month or two volunteering at _______. From what I've read online, ______ seems like a great place. Do you ever accept volunteers? Unfortunately, I don't know Dutch at this point, but if I was able to volunteer, I would work hard to learn as quickly as I can.
Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
All the best,
-______"

"Hallo,
Ik ben een student aan de universiteit in de Verenigde Staten en ik probeer een project op te zetten voor na mijn afstuderen. Als deel van het project zou ik een tweetal maanden als vrijwilliger bij ______ willen doorbrengen. Voor zover ik online gelezen heb, lijkt ______ mij een leuke plaats. Nemen jullie soms vrijwilligers aan?
Helaas, op dit moment ken ik nog geen Nederlands maar als ik als vrijwilliger aan de slag kon, dan zou ik hard werken om het zo snel mogelijk te leren.
Dank u voor uw tijd en ik hoop gauw iets van u te horen.
Met vriendelijke groet,
_______"

I don't know what a fellowship project is so I didn't really know how to translate that. The closest I got was an other word for fellowship project -> community project, translated as: gemeenschapsproject.

Teodor
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: Serbo-Croatian
Third language: French
Fourth language: English

Re: help translating to Dutch?

Post by Teodor » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:27 pm

CharlyV wrote: Nemen jullie soms vrijwilligers aan?
Helaas, op dit moment ken ik nog geen Nederlands maar als ik als vrijwilliger aan de slag kon, dan zou ik hard werken om het zo snel mogelijk te leren.
Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I'd rather write "Neemt u soms vrijwilligers aan?", considering the fact that this is a letter written in a professional context. And perhaps "[...] mocht ik [bij] als vrijwilliger aan de slag kunnen, zou ik hard werken [...]" - but I admit that's nitpicking.