Help me with this video please.

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
ilovedutch
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Sweden
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: Polish
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: Russian
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Esperanto, English, Bulgarian, Dutch, German, Italian

Help me with this video please.

Post by ilovedutch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

I am learning Dutch and I don't understand what they are saying in the beginning of this video. I would really be thankful if someone could give a transcription of the first 15 seconds of the video. :D I guess I still have to practice my listening skills in Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufSm8fi76c

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: Help me with this video please.

Post by BrutallyFrank » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:14 am

"Nou, het zijn dus allemaal talen van dezelfde familie. Dus eh ... je zei al Italiaans, Frans, Spaans ... lijkt allemaal een beetje op elkaar. Heb je daar nou veel voordeel mee als je een nieuwe taal uitkiest? Is dat gemakkelijker?"

Translation:
"Well, basically these languages are all related. So ... you mentioned Italian, French, Spanish ... they resemble each other. Do you have any advantages from that when you choose a new language? Is it easier?"
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Brave of you to train it that way! =D> That is not always easy. People mumble. People don't finish their sentences. Pronunciation varies etc.

What kind of recordings do you think are most helpful?

ilovedutch
Nieuwkomer
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Esperanto, English, Bulgarian, Dutch, German, Italian

Post by ilovedutch » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:19 am

Thank you, BrutallyFrank, for the translation and transcription! I find this very helpful.

I practice my language skill with whatever I can find on the Internet. I recently bought an Assimil book in German for Dutch, it's the only resource I have been able to find so far, of course not counting the resources I have on the Internet. I use IVONA for pronounciation for example. I have been studying for a about a week now and I have not been able to speak with anyone yet. My friend's friend speaks Dutch though, and we will hopefully meet and speak next week.

ilovedutch
Nieuwkomer

Post by ilovedutch » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 am

If you are asking what kind of recordings I prefer to use, I would say that youtube videos of people talking about themselves or daily subjects are the best. Those kind of videos use common words and usually keep it pretty simple. I also like to watch videos of other people learning Dutch like myself. Any kind of educational videos about Dutch are also good.

Crecker
Superlid
Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian

Post by Crecker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 am

Hi everybody. I would like to share with you this other way of learning. It might sound really strange but I enjoyed it. It is for whoever can directly talk to a Dutch speaking person.

Once I was with my boyfriend at the bus stop and I pretended to be a child and asked him something like "Wat is een bloem?". He played with me and answered me as he would have answered a little boy, using simple words and short sentences.

I am almost ashamed of this because I felt really silly at the very beginning, but it was nice too.

See you around the forum!
ImageImage
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
En vlug, voor de laatste bus...