Holland should be Netherlands

If you come across a mistake on the website (not only on the forum), you can write it here. It can be about anything: From typos and mistakes in punctuation to spelling errors and wrong explanations.
EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Holland should be Netherlands

Post by EetSmakelijk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Bieneke. I notice on the whole site there are quite a few references to Holland when I am pretty sure you mean any Dutch-speaking country. ;)
Some of these I can edit, but I think there is even one on the home page that says "to Holland". :shock:
;)
There is one in a forum description about NT2 exams. I don't want to change this one myself as I don't know if Belgium even has NT2?
Bedankt,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff

dirkmath
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Holland should be Netherlands

Post by dirkmath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 am

Of course Belgium has NT2!
It's a task of the "Huizen van het Nederlands" to judge knowledge levels of Dutch:
http://www.huizenvanhetnederlands.be/

When those are found insuffucient a student is referred to a "Centrum voor Basiseducatie" if his general level of knowledge is low (up to 9 years of schooling):
http://www.basiseducatie.be/
or a "Centrum voor Volwassenenonderwijs" if they have 10 years of schooling or more:
http://www.ond.vlaanderen.be/onderwijsa ... chtgraad_1
Never look back, unless it's time to go home.

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:56 am

EetSmakelijk wrote:Hi Bieneke. I notice on the whole site there are quite a few references to Holland when I am pretty sure you mean any Dutch-speaking country.
I have adjusted that here and there, but not everywhere (yet). If you are referring to the grammar pages: When I wrote them, I was not thinking about Flanders or Surinam--not because I thought they do not speak Dutch there, but because I wrote it for one particular person who was moving to Amsterdam with me. ;-) I had no idea that so many people would end up reading the pages. The internet version is now a lot different from the original paper/Word version; I have added some remarks about how certain language phenomena work differently in Flanders, but I have not done this in a systematic way. Also, I only started doing this when I lived in Flanders myself. Before that time, I was not very familiar with Flemish.

In the PDF version of the grammar pages, I have already replaced 'Dutch people' or 'the Dutch' by 'Dutch speakers'. I also need to change this on the grammar pages, but this will have to wait until I move the content to Drupal. The current system (PmWiki) does not store the data in a database like Drupal does. If you work with a database, it is much easier to search for text strings (and replace them).
EetSmakelijk wrote:Some of these I can edit, but I think there is even one on the home page that says "to Holland". :shock:
I like this better than "the Netherlands" because it is a lot shorter. I would not use it if it weren't a commonly accepted name to refer to the Netherlands (at least, abroad). When I am abroad, I usually say that I am from "Holland". But then again, I really am originally from that province. However, neither of my parents are from Holland, but I am quite sure that they would use the same name (and my mother is Frysian :D ). See also viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2171.

Anyway, in due course, the 'to Holland' tab will disappear. I have lived in Flanders for five years and through my work and personal experience, I am now much more familiar with 'moving to Flanders' than 'moving to Holland'. Some day, I will extend the pages to cover Flanders also. Or even Surinam--my best friend is Surinamese and I am sure she would love to write the Surinamese pages. This is, however, not a priority.
EetSmakelijk wrote:There is one in a forum description about NT2 exams. I don't want to change this one myself as I don't know if Belgium even has NT2?
The "Staatsexamen NT2" is the name of the official Dutch (not Belgian) NT2 exam.
Bieneke

EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Post by EetSmakelijk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 am

Bedankt voor de uitleg. :D
Sorry dat ik zo streng klonk. Dat was niet mijn bedoeling. ;)
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff