Error message upon submitting a message: spamhouse.org

Do you have troubles logging in or sending private messages? Do you experience a technical problem on the forum? Post it here!
barbara
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United States

Hackers?

Post by barbara » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Thanks Bieneke, I have not received that error message ever since my last post here. But I got another weird message just now. I do not remember the exact words but it had something to do with problems sending mail, access denied and a website called spamhouse.org (or something like that). I got this upon submitting a message. Hackers?!

Tom
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Spamhouse

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:52 pm

I saw the same thing. Next time I will capture it. It seemed to happen
when I posted the message with the word that I sent that was censored and I tried to delete the message.

Tom

Tom
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Got it again

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi Bieneke,

I got the message right after I made the last post. I captured it to a pdf file which I will try to email you as an attachment. http://www.dutchgrammar.com seems to be down right now so I will try again.

For now I have copied it as text

General Er ror
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 571 5.7.1 ACCESS DENIED for dhost .info [ 66.90.103.17]
by / spamhaus/ ; Please see ht tp: / /www.spamhaus.org/ sbl/
DEBUG MODE
Line : 125
File : smtp.php

Tom

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

error message from www.blackhaus.org

Post by Bieneke » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:11 pm

Hi Tom and Barbara (do you know the old BBC series The Good Life :D) ?

This is what you saw:

Code: Select all

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 571 5.7.1 ACCESS DENIED for dhost.info [66.90.103.17] by /spamhaus/;Please see http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/ 

DEBUG MODE

Line : 125
File : smtp.php 
For some reason, the host's ip was blacklisted. On http://www.spamhaus.org I read that the owner of the ip address is a notorious American/Russian spammer. Very strange because as far as I know, the owner of dhost.info is a German guy called Michael. I have asked dhost.info for an explanation. In the meantime, just ignore the message. Your computer is not being hacked 8).

Running a forum is not as easy as I thought :oops: but I am learning something new every day.

Groetjes,
Bieneke

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:37 pm

Apparently, the notorious spammer once (ab)used the services of dhost.info by having his website hosted on the dhost.info server. By doing so, it caused the blacklisting of the ip address of dhost.info.

So how does this relate to the problem described above?

This is how it works:

As a member of this forum, you can subscribe to a topic. This means that you will be notified by email of new messages in the chosen topic. This email is sent from the forum's server (at dhost.info).

Some members on this forum have subscribed to the spamhaus.org, a service that blocks spam from your email inbox.

Let us suppose that person A has subscribed to the spamhaus.org service. On this forum, he has subscribed to topic X.

Now person B posts a message in topic X. Upon posting the message, person A automatically receives an email notificitation. That is what normally happens. But person A never receives the email, as spamhaus recognizes it as spam.

Upon posting the message, person B now sees an error message: email could not be sent (...access denied ... spamhaus.org... etc.).

Let us hope that the ip address of dhost.info will be removed from the spamhaus.org list soon.

Until then, we will have to put up with the error message. Unless I find a way myself to make that message go away. I am not so phpbb savvy yet so if anyone has any idea how to do this, let me know!

Groetjes,
Bieneke

Post by guest » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:11 am

Hi,
I'm a new user and am having trouble registering. Seems like the registration process went okay, but then I got the error message about Spamhaus and now I cannot log in with the username and the password I chose. I assume the system tried to send me some additional information by e-mail about logging in for the first time but I did not get it due to the blacklist problem. So what should I do to be able to log in? My username is tzt.

Thanks for any help!