Podcast 21 is Hier

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)
EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Post by EetSmakelijk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 am

Yes, I have a twin. Not a real one of course, but one who makes me speak Dutch with a bad accent. :P
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff

Lynn

Re: Podcast 21 is Hier

Post by Lynn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Ik heb net gelezen over de draak en de letter 'n' - wat prachtig! De lezer las haar vertelling erg goed - niet te snel voor als wij Nederlands willen leren. Bedankt!

I have just read about the dragon and the letter 'n'. Delightful! The reader read her story well - not too fast for when we are learning Dutch. Thanks. (Lynn - England)

leoyoshiyang
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Brazil
Mother tongue: Portuguese
Second language: English
Third language: Spanish

Post by leoyoshiyang » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm

That was an interesting story =D>

But I have one question. It appears to me that this final n dropping is not true to all dialects, right ?
Because I have seen a few Belgian films and I know some Belgian bands and, at least most of them, speak the final n even in verbs.
I have even come across some speakers who'd add another syllable to it, especially when they're speaking, not singing. An example would be "spreken", it sounds like they speak like "sprekene". Ik ben waarschijnlijk verkeerd, denk ik.

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:29 pm

leoyoshiyang wrote:That was an interesting story =D>

But I have one question. It appears to me that this final n dropping is not true to all dialects, right ?
Because I have seen a few Belgian films and I know some Belgian bands and, at least most of them, speak the final n even in verbs.
I have even come across some speakers who'd add another syllable to it, especially when they're speaking, not singing. An example would be "spreken", it sounds like they speak like "sprekene". Ik ben waarschijnlijk verkeerd, denk ik.
No doubt there are always exceptions - and it depends on the register you're using, too. Some bands simply choose to sing in (more or less) formal Dutch (or Flemish Dutch, in this case), including the final Ns.

Not sure about the extra syllable, but it gives me a vaguely West-Flemish impression... there may well be dialects that do it, yeah.

andreengels
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German

Post by andreengels » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

leoyoshiyang wrote:That was an interesting story =D>

The final n dropping is definitely different between dialects. However, it is almost universal in the west of the Netherlands, which is the dominant dialect of Dutch. I myself come from the north-east of the Netherlands; there, the n is not dropped, but the e (schwa) preceding it often is. For the form with an extra -e/schwa I defer to Quetzal, who knows more about Belgian variations of Dutch than I do.

leoyoshiyang
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Brazil
Mother tongue: Portuguese
Third language: Spanish

Post by leoyoshiyang » Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Dank jullie voor de antwoorden.
Ik was haast zeker dat een merkwaardig uitspraakverschil bestond wel, toch wilde ik meningen. :|
Sorry for the late reply.