RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 25th, 2014, 6:43 am    

Het Dutchgrammar Radio Hour, Deel 2

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)

Postby Jeff » August 2nd, 2007, 4:14 am

Well is there a time limit? I'd think pratically speaking 20 minutes should be about max per podcast but that's up to Bieneke.

Could break up each act into seperate plays as well.

Lots of places to put random commercials or overheard radio/tv stuff as well for bit pieces.
Jeff
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 2nd, 2007, 4:22 am

I am not sure, Dora, were you referring to the over all length or to the length and number of lines people would be recording?
I do agree T's part is probably too long unless there is somebody who wants to record all that! ;)
Please keep the comments coming, people. This show won't get off the ground (the airplane metaphors never end!) without your input and output. ;)
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 2nd, 2007, 4:41 am

I have made an email address for the show. Anybody can contact me at any hour of the day or night any timezone, no need to be logged in here. This is not my personal address and will be deleted after the show is made so if spammers see it who cares. :P
esje@mts.net
Feel free to send files as well as text.
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Dora » August 2nd, 2007, 6:30 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:I thought of a way I might be able to shorten T's part. I'd have to make it two travellers. Like maybe two sisters, or a brother and a sister visiting their frend in Nederland. T1 could make pizza, t2 could ask for the groceries, t2 culd ask for the train tickets, t1 would be nervous about speaking to A's parents. It would make the show a bit longer but it would keep T's part manageable. Is that a good idea or do I just need to shorten it and find some way for T to have fewer lines.

That's a great idea.  Also, make A's part larger. Then you have 3 larger parts, and a number of smaller ones. People can take more than one of the smaller ones if they want or just stick with one if they want few lines.  Add in commercials and a host/hostess (?) and there is something for everyone.
Dora
Superlid

Mother tongue: English (United States)

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 2nd, 2007, 6:53 pm

Thank you for your positive feedback, Dora! :D
There will also need to be a narrator of sorts. Somebody will speak the lines about T being in a crowded airport, possibly the narrator and host(ess) could be the same person or different people, depending on what you all want.
I'll work on it more this evening and repost.
Groetjes en hartelijk bedankt voor je hulp!
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 3rd, 2007, 6:31 pm

Sorry but I was really too tired to work on itlast night. I have reworked it and it is longer, but A's part is longer, T is split in two, and I've written the Flanders parts.

It is probably too long now to do as one show, but if you people want to do it all that is fine with me! If not, we can make two shows of it.

Here it is:

I decided to split the Traveller into two characters. Thank you Jeff and Dora for your feedback. Ome Jorge translated the pizza party lines but they are going to change now, sorry about that, Ome Jorge.
Could somebody answer the questions through the play but please do not start translating until we have the English script a bit closer to finished.
This is quite long and I have no problem with us doing two shows if we want.
T is now T1 and T2. ;)

Any suggestions are welcome!

Any native Dutch speakers please answer any or all of the questions mixed in with the text.

On the airplane

Announcer: (Jeff and Dora and I need to work on this but thought I'd post it for feedback): Fasten your seatbelts everybody, we're now taking off. (Reads more of the pre-flight script.)
T1: I didn't realize this, but I'm afraid to fly. I have never been on a plane before and thought flying was going to be cool, but now that I'm here...
T2: Well I've never been on a plane either but I'm not afraid!
T1: That's because you are braver than I am.
T2: Nope, I'm just less worried about things.
(Sounds of engines vroom vroom)
Announcer: (gives the final boarding call.)
T2: Well, actually, come to think of it, I am a bit nervous...
T1: Aww, it must be contageous.
(Commercials here for some kind of product to reduce the fear of flying or whatever other commercials we want. Not going to post them to the forum because they're not written yet. :P )
(Plane takes off)
T1: We're in the air! Maybe this isn't so bad after all!
T2: True, just look at that view!
(More commercials for things on the plane)
T1: We're getting close. Did you notice we've been speaking Dutch all this time? I never noticed that!
T2: Haha, you're right, I just switched to Dutch automatically when we boarded. Maybe we're really becoming Dutch!
Passenger (in Dutch of course): You two speak very good Dutch by the way! I've been sitting here admiring your nice pronunciation!
T1 (whispering): Oh, they were listening to us. Let's talk quietly from now on.
T2 (whispering): Or maybe not talk at all.
Announcer: Gives the info about landing etc.
Engines shut off. The flight is over and the travellers are now in Amsterdam!

Act 1

(Sounds of a crowded airport.)
The travellers must ask a passer-by where the baggage claim area is because that is where their friend A is to meet them.
T1: Excuse me, Sir, do you know where the baggage area is?
B: Certainly, turn left here and go down the hall until you see a sign that points to baggage claim.
T1: I am sorry, I didn't quite understand that, could you speak more slowly please?
(B repeats the directions more slowly.)
T1: Thank you!
B: Glad to help.
(Question for a Dutch person, would B ask if T was on vacation and wish him/her a nice vakantie?)
You hear walking and then:
A: Excuse me, are you T1 and T2?
T2 (sounding relieved): Yes! Are you A?
A: Yes! It's so nice to see you! You look just like your pictures. Good thing too because then I'd never have found you. Did you have a good flight? Do you like the Netherlands?
T2: So far, it's great! I especially love the people. They're so polite.
A: Great! Let's find a train and then we can travel to (insert place name) and I'll show you my house and you can meet my parents who speak no English, no don't look so frightened, I'll translate if you really get confused.
T1 (sounding nervous): Ok, I hope I don't do anything rude. Please tell me about Dutch customs so I don't look silly in front of your parents.
T2: Yeah, we don't want to make fools of ourselves.
(Need help here from a Dutchie. Is it true that visitors take off their shoes before stepping into a house?)
A: (explains some stuff about etiquette)
(sounds of walking and the sound of a train)
A: Ok, here's the train, now we need two tickets to (insert name) and I don't know how much they cost. Please ask the man there.
T1: You mean you want me to ask him in Dutch?
A: Of course, it's the only way you learn. He won't bite (is this even a Dutch expression?). It's his job to help people find the right train.
T1: I'm too nervous to ask.
T2: Ok, I'll do it.
C: Good morning, how can I help you?
T2 (stutters a bit and then says): Um yes, may I have two tickets to (name) and how much does that cost?
C: (insert price that makes sense)
T2: Thank you, sorry for my bad Dutch.
C: Your Dutch is very easy to understand. Have a good trip.
A: See that wasn't so terrible now was it!
T2 (sounding sheepish): Nope, not bad at all.
T1: Yeah, you were all nervous for nothing!
T2: Look who's talking, you were too nervous to even try!
T1: Was not!
T2: Were so!
(enzovoort...)
A (smile in her voice): Now now, children, no fighting. We have a train to catch, it leaves in five minutes!

Act 2

A and the Ts are standing outside A's house. They are just about to go in but T1 is shy about meeting A's family.
T1: How do I address your mother? I call you "je" but should I say u to her?
A: No, je to her is fine.
T1: What about your father?
A: Same thing, je is fine. Really there's no need to be nervous. They're very friendly people. Please won't you come in. I am very honoured to have visitors from so far away!
Sound of doors opening and they step inside the house.
A's Mum: Hello, nice to meet you! A has told me so much about you, it is so nice that you have come all the way from (place) to visit us! I have just made lunch. I made Dutch food so you could try some of our food. There is (insert food...).
T1: Wow, that's wonderful! Yes, I could use some lunch. I am very glad to be here, A told me so much about the Netherlands I just had to visit!
A's Dad (walks in from another room): Hello, T1 and T2! Welcome to the Netherlands and to our home!
T2: Thank you Sir... I mean (insert first name).
A: Come on into the dining room and have lunch. My mum is the best cook in the world!

Act 3

A and the Ts are at the market. T1 wants to make homemade pizza and needs some groceries. T2 has taken on the task of buying the groceries. Will T2 get everything T1 needs?
D: Can I help you?
T2: Yes, I need some tomatoes, garlic, onions, capers, olives, olive oil, pineapple, green pepper, hot chili peppers, and saussage.
D: Certainly. Anything else?
T1 (whispering): You forgot the tomato sauce.
T2 (sounding embarrassed): Sorry, yes, I forgot tomato sauce.
D: That's ok. Here is the tomato sauce. Do you need anything else?
T2: No thanks, that's really everything this time!
D: That will be (insert price).
A: What are you going to do, put everything on that pizza? Doesn't that make it taste strange? I am not sure about it but since you are brave enough to speak Dutch and you pronounced all those words right, I will try homemade pizza.
T1: Good, if you didn't, you'd be missing something amazing.

Act 4

T1 is hosting a dinner party at A's house.
A: Come on in everybody, T1 is just about to start cooking and you don't want to miss this. She said we could all watch her!
F: Right on! (this is another expression I have no idea if it exists)
G: It looks good.
H: Yep, sure does.
T2: I've had her pizza a million times before, but it's better every time!
T1 (sounding nervous): I hope you like it.
A: We like you, T1, even if your pizza is not our (cup of tea) we won't judge you as a person.
G: I've never seen so much stuff on top of a piece of bread. I mean, I just put (what's that stuff called again?) on my bread in the mornings and I've never thought of putting all that stuff on.
H: Same here, but it's bound to be great food!
F: She's taking it out of the oven, look, here it comes, wow, it smells so good!
A (sounding a bit surprised): Yes, it really does look great! I think I will like this!
T1: Eet smakelijk!
A (laughing): Oh, you know that expression, you are becoming so Dutch!
T2 (not to be outdone): I know it too, eet smakelijk!
A: Yes, T2, our language also seems to be making its way into your blood!
F: T1, are you going to move to the Netherlands? Because if you do you should open a restaurant and sell your pizza!
A: Yes, and T2 could help you!
T1 (laughing): Well, I might move here, but I don't know about opening a pizza restaurant. I'm glad you like it.
H: Yeah, we do, and your Dutch is great too! You speak better Dutch than our queen, both of you!
G: You speak much much much better than my sister.
T2: How old is your sister? I bet she's two or something.
G (laughs): No way, she's 20!
T1: Why does she speak bad Dutch?
G: Because she doesn't make the sounds as clearly as you do. People are constantly asking her to repeat.
A: Where are you going to visit after me?
T1: Flanders. I am going to visit some of the war memorials. It's sad, but history is important so we don't repeat it.
F: I agree.
G: Yep. What about you, T2?
T2: History isn't my strength but I will visit the war memorials with T1 and then will drag her to visit art museums and other places.
H: I am from Flanders. You might have noticed I have a different accent. Well, these Dutchies say I have an accent, but I think they all have the accent. Anyway, I am glad you are going to visit my country. Say hello to it for me please, I really miss home.
T2: Yes, I did notice. Thanks for the explanation. I guess it's the same thing with English-speaking countries. They each have their own accents. I'll give Flanders a big hello from you!
A: Sorry everybody, but it's almost bed time. I have enjoyed the party so much I almost forgot that I have to work tomorrow after I take these two to the train station.
T1: Forgetting about work is always a good thing.
F: Not for me, I love my work.
G: Work is ok, but partying is more fun.
H: I hate work, I work only so I can eat.
T1: I am glad you all liked my pizza and I am so glad I got to meet you. This country is the best, I really do think I will move here!
A: We loved your pizza and if you move here you are most certainly welcome! Don't look so sad, T2, you are welcome too! I am sure you cook something as delicious as T1's pizza. Maybe you can make great hot chocolate?
T2: Oh thank you, A, yes, I do make good hot chocolate! I could help T1 in her restaurant. She'd make the pizza, I'd make the hot chocolate and the coffee!
A: Sounds fabulous! I'll eat there every day of the week and get very fat.
H: Before you decide where to move, visit Flanders first.
T2: Good idea. I have a feeling it will be just as amazing and then we won't know where to move!

Act 5

A: Ok, here is the train to (place name). You need to stop off there and catch a different train to the docks where you will catch your boat to Belgium.
T1: Goodbye, A! It has been so lovely staying with you!
T2: Indeed it has, and we'll be back!
A: Yes, please come again next year or sooner if you can!
T1: I really think I might move here.
T2: Yeah, I'm starting to get that moving feeling.
A: Well, I don't want to cry on this platform, have a safe journey and I'll talk to you again soon!
Sounds of a train starting.
T1: We're here in Place name.
T2: Where's that train to the docks?
T1: There it is!
T2: Ok, let's dash, we've only got about thirty seconds!
T1: We're on board!
T2: Good thing, all that running was exhausting!
T1: This train is very crowded. I see two empty seats, but they're not together. Shall I ask that person there if they'd mind switching seats? (Is this done in the Netherlands?)
T2: I'll ask. Excuse me, may we switch seats with you?
Passenger: Certainly. Where are you two from?
T1: We're from...
Passenger: Here is the seat. Have a great time in Germany!
T1: Germany, we aren't supposed to go to Germany. Did we get on the wrong train?
T2: Oh dear, I hope not, I speak not a word of German!
Passenger: No problem, when we stop in Berlin I'll get you on to the right train back to where you are going.
T1: Thank you so much!
T2: Yes, thank you, it means a lot to us how polite and friendly Dutch people are!
Passenger: I am not Dutch, but I cannot imagine being unfriendly to travellers. There are too many hardships in this world for people to be rude to each other.
T1: I agree!
T2: Yep.
Sounds of the train.
Passenger: We're now in Berlin.
T2: Are you getting off here?
Passenger: Yes, this is where I live. I will show you to the correct train, and then I will be going home.
Passenger: You're most welcome!
Sounds of another train moving.
T2: Finally, we're on the right train!
T1: Yep.
Sounds of the train again.
T1: We're getting off here, then we need to find the dock and catch the boat.

Act 6

At the docks to catch their boat, one of them will ask how much it costs.
T1: Excuse me, how much is a ticket to Antwerp?
I: (Gives the price.)
T2: That's perfect, thanks.
The Ts arrive in Antwerp all in one piece and need to find a hotel.
T2: Excuse me, do you know a good hotel in this area?
J (Person with strong Antwerps accent guess whos gonna play this part ;) ):Yes, it's the Hotel Antwerpen and it's three streets south and four streets west.
T2 (Sounding shy): Sorry, could you repeat that please?
J (in standard Dutch this time repeats the same directions)
T2: Oh, now I understand!
T1: Were you speaking a dialect, it sounds very lovely but I do not know it.
J (in Antwerps again): Yep, it was the Antwerp dialect. I do that to all tourists to see their reactions. (Repeats same words in standard Dutch.)
T1: Oh, that's so entertaining!
T2: Yeah, you sure had us!
J (In Antwerps and standard Dutch): Glad I could intertain you. You speak excellent Dutch. I hope you have an amazing time here in Flanders!
T2: We will!
T1: For sure.

Act 7

T2: That war memorial we visited was very sad. I can't stop crying. No, don't start again, please! This is why history is not my thing, it all seems to be about people dying, getting hurt, or not having political freedom.
T1: Yes, that is often true. The reason I go to all these places and read the sad truths in them is because I do not want to repeat them. I know a place you will find interesting.
T2: Oh yeah, what's it called?
T1: It's called the PocketFish Aquarium.
T2: Sounds interesting.
The Ts arrive at the aquarium and a friendly guide shows them around.
K: Welcome to the PocketFish Aquarium! Do you know why the PocketFish is so special?
T2: No idea, why?
T1: Because it is endangered?
K: Yes, it is endangered. So sad, but so many  people have forgotten their grammar that nobody remembers the poor little PocketFish. It's not going to die out, but pretty soon nobody will remember it exists. In that way it is endangered. I am so glad you are here, we get so few visitors these days.
T2 (confused): What does a fish have to do with grammar?
K: Well, the letters in the word PocketFish, minus the vowels, are the exact same letters that verbs who's stems end in them have t added in the past tense instead of d!
(I think I actually might be using incorrect grammar in this sentence! How do I say this in Dutch? :P )
T1: Really? So that's why it has to do with grammar.
K: Yes. If the PocketFish did not exist, nobody would remember which verbs take t. We'd be saying Ik werkde" instead of ik werkte!
T1: Wow!
T2: May we see one?
K: Yes, you may. Please step this way...
(Sounds of walking and water running, you know that aquarium sound?)
K (whispering): There it is. It's sleeping in its pocket. The pocket is made by the fish out of seaweed and webbing, a bit like a spiderweb.
T2: It's all different colours. Very beautiful!
T1: Wow, and you say people don't know about it? That's sad, not as sad as the war memorials, but still sad!
T2: Yeah, when we meet people on our travels we'll tell them about the PocketFish and how it helps you to conjugate verbs!
K: Thank you so much! Goodbye, and I hope the rest of your vacation is fantastic!

Einde :P

P.S. I am aware that Dutch people do not use the term PocketFish to conjugate verbs, so this one is for English speakers. :P
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 4th, 2007, 4:55 pm

I say below that Act 1 is ready but that is not true. There are still questions in it and places where it says (insert whatever).
Dora commented that this could be a whole series and I agree with that. I am going to split this play into 4 or so episodes. We can do one every month or every two weeks, which do you people prefer? Or we could just release them when they're ready and not use a set date like every month or whatever.
We're going to need to start translating soon but before we can do that I need to make sure the text will be the final version. The airplane scene is totally incomplete but act 1 is ready I think.
Commercials can just be inserted after, so they don't have to be written before we start translating.
Native Dutch people please post your translations instead of pm-ing them to me so others can see them and possibly correct :shock: them or add suggestions/feedback.
When replying to posts, please do not quote the original message because this starts to get very messy to read if you are reading quotes within quotes within quotes. Please put corrections in [] square brackets no idea what those are called in Dutch. :P
To get the text off the forum and put it in a reply, please use the copy and paste function so as not to quote.
You can use any colours (colors if you prefer) to show changes and corrections, but I cannot see these so please use the [] for corrections too.
Please translate one act at a time so if any changes are necessary you won't have done tonnes of work only to have it change.
Please also translate the narrator's part as well as the stage directions. (Just looks better if it's all in Dutch.)
Sorry for the long instructions. :P I just want to make sure I am clear and don't confuse people.
If you answer any of my questions, please put them at the beginning or end of your message.
Hartelijk bedankt en ik kan niet wachten! Hieronder staat de tekst van de show. (I just love saying hieronder staat...) ;)

On the airplane

Announcer: (Jeff and Dora and I need to work on this but thought I'd post it for feedback): Fasten your seatbelts everybody, we're now taking off. (Reads more of the pre-flight script.)
T1: I didn't realize this, but I'm afraid to fly. I have never been on a plane before and thought flying was going to be cool, but now that I'm here...
Sounds of engines vroom vroom.
(Commercials here for some kind of product to reduce the fear of flying or whatever other commercials we want. Not going to post them to the forum because they're not written yet. :P )
Sound of plane taking off.
T1: We're getting close. Did you notice we've been speaking Dutch all this time? I never noticed that!
T2 (laughs): You're right, I just switched to Dutch automatically when we boarded. Maybe we're really becoming Dutch!
Passenger (in Dutch of course): You two speak very good Dutch by the way! I've been sitting here admiring your nice pronunciation!
Engines shut off. The flight is over and the travellers are now in (insert Amsterdam or Rotterdam).

Act 1

Sounds of a crowded airport.
The travellers must ask a passer-by where the baggage claim area is because that is where their friend A is to meet them.
B: Certainly, turn left here and go down the hall until you see a sign that points to baggage claim.
T1: I am sorry, I didn't quite understand that, could you speak more slowly please?
B (more slowly): Certainly, turn left here and go down the hall until you see a sign that points to baggage claim.
(Question for a Dutch person, would B ask if T was on vacation and wish him/her a nice vakantie?)
Sounds of walking and then:
A: Yes! It's so nice to see you! You look just like your pictures. Good thing too because then I'd never have found you. Did you have a good flight? Do you like the Netherlands?
A: Great! Let's find a train and then we can travel to (insert place name) and I'll show you my house and you can meet my parents who speak no English, no don't look so frightened, I'll translate if you really get confused.
T1 (sounding nervous): Ok, I hope I don't do anything rude. Please tell me about Dutch customs so I don't look silly in front of your parents.
(Need help here from a Dutchie. Is it true that visitors take off their shoes before stepping into a house?)
Sounds of walking and the sound of a train.
A: Ok, here's the train, now we need three tickets to (insert name) and I don't know how much they cost. Please ask the man there.
A: Of course, it's the only way you learn. He won't bite (is this even a Dutch expression?). It's his job to help people find the right train.
T2 (stutters a bit and then says): Um yes, may I have three tickets to (name) and how much does that cost?
C: Your Dutch is very easy to understand. Have a good trip. (Is there a Dutch equivalent of bon voyage?)
T1: Nietes!
T2: Welles!
A (smile in her voice): Now now, children, no fighting. We have a train to catch, it leaves in five minutes!

Act 2

A and the Ts are standing outside A's house. They are just about to go in but T1 is shy about meeting A's family.
A: Same thing, je is fine. Really there's no need to be nervous. They're very friendly people. Please won't you come in. I am very honoured to have visitors from so far away!
A's Mum: Hello, nice to meet you! A has told me so much about you, it is so nice that you have come all the way from (place) to visit us! I have just made lunch. I made Dutch food so you could try some of our food. There is (insert food...).
T1: Wow, that's wonderful! Yes, I could use some lunch. I am very glad to be here, A told me so much about the Netherlands I just had to visit!
A's Dad (walks in from another room): Hello, T1 and T2! Welcome to the Netherlands and to our home!
A: Come on into the dining room and have lunch. My mum is the best cook in the world!

Act 3

A and the Ts are at the market. T1 wants to make homemade pizza and needs some groceries. T2 has taken on the task of buying the groceries. Will T2 get everything T1 needs?
D: Can I help you?
T2: Yes, I need some tomatoes, garlic, onions, capers, olives, olive oil, pineapple, green pepper, hot chili peppers, and saussage.
D: Certainly. Anything else?
D: That's ok. Here is the tomato sauce. Do you need anything else?
D: That will be (insert price).
A: What are you going to do, put everything on that pizza? Doesn't that make it taste strange? I am not sure about it but since you are brave enough to speak Dutch and you pronounced all those words right, I will try homemade pizza.
T1: Good, if you didn't, you'd be missing something amazing.

Act 4

A: Come on in everybody, T1 is just about to start cooking and you don't want to miss this. She said we could all watch her!
F: Right on!
A: We like you, T1, even if your pizza is not our (cup of tea) we won't judge you as a person.
G: I've never seen so much stuff on top of a piece of bread. I mean, I just put butter on my bread in the mornings and I've never thought of putting all that stuff on.
F: She's taking it out of the oven, look, here it comes, wow, it smells so good!
A (sounding a bit surprised): Yes, it really does look great! I think I will like this!
F: T1, are you going to move to the Netherlands? Because if you do you should open a restaurant and sell your pizza!
T1 (laughing): Well, I might move here, but I don't know about opening a pizza restaurant. I'm glad you like it.
H: Yeah, we do, and your Dutch is great too! You both speak better Dutch than... (H can't think of better than what, so G helps him out in the next sentence.)
G: ...than my sister.
G: Because she doesn't make the sounds as clearly as you do. People are constantly asking her to repeat.
T1: Flanders. I am going to visit some of the war memorials. It's sad, but history is important so we don't repeat it.
T2: History isn't my strength but I will visit the war memorials with T1 and then will drag her to visit art museums and other places.
H: I am from Flanders. You might have noticed I have a different accent. Well, these Dutchies say I have an accent, but I think they all have the accent. Anyway, I am glad you are going to visit my country. Say hello to it for me please, I really miss home.
T2: Yes, I did notice. Thanks for the explanation. I guess it's the same thing with English-speaking countries. They each have their own accents. I'll give Flanders a big hello from you!
A: Sorry everybody, but it's almost bed time. I have enjoyed the party so much I almost forgot that I have to work tomorrow after I take these two to the train station.
T1: I am glad you all liked my pizza and I am so glad I got to meet you. This country is the best, I really do think I will move here!
A: We loved your pizza and if you move here you are most certainly welcome! Don't look so sad, T2, you are welcome too! I am sure you cook something as delicious as T1's pizza. Maybe you can make great hot chocolate?
T2: Oh thank you, A, yes, I do make good hot chocolate! I could help T1 in her restaurant. She'd make the pizza, I'd make the hot chocolate and the coffee!
H: Before you decide where to move, please visit Flanders first.
T2: Good idea. I have a feeling it will be just as amazing and then we won't know where to move!

Act 5

A and the Ts are at the train station.
A: Ok, here is the train to (place name). You need to stop off there and catch a different train to the docks where you will catch your boat to Belgium.
A: Well, I don't want to cry on this platform, have a safe journey and I'll talk to you again soon!
Sounds of a train.
The Ts get off the train in (place name).
T1: We're here!
T1: This train is very crowded. I see two empty seats, but they're not together. Shall I ask that person there if they'd mind switching seats? (Is this done in the Netherlands?)
Passenger: Certainly. Have a great time in Germany!
T1: Germany, we aren't supposed to go to Germany. Did we get on the wrong train?
Passenger: No problem, when we stop in Berlin I'll get you on to the right train back to where you are going.
T2: Yes, thank you, it means a lot to us how polite and friendly Dutch people are!
Passenger: I cannot imagine being unfriendly to travellers. There are too many hardships in this world for people to be rude to each other.
Sounds of the train.
The Ts and Passenger get off and Passenger shows them to the correct platform.
T2: Indeed, thank you!

Act 6

J (Person with strong Antwerps accent guess whos gonna play this part ;) ):Yes, it's the Hotel Antwerpen and it's three streets south and four streets west.
J (in Antwerps again): Yep, it was the Antwerp dialect. I do that to all tourists to see their reactions. (Repeats same words in standard Dutch.)
J (In Antwerps and standard Dutch): Glad I could intertain you. You speak excellent Dutch. I hope you have an amazing time here in Flanders!

Act 7

T2: That war memorial we visited was very sad. I can't stop crying. No, don't start again, please! This is why history is not my thing, it all seems to be about people dying, getting hurt, or not having political freedom.
T1: Yes, that is often true. The reason I go to all these places and read the sad truths in them is because I do not want to repeat them. I know a place you will find interesting.
K: Welcome to the PocketFish Aquarium! Do you know why the PocketFish is so special?
K: Yes, it is endangered. So sad, but so many  people have forgotten their grammar that nobody remembers the poor little PocketFish. It's not going to die out, but pretty soon nobody will remember it exists. In that way it is endangered. I am so glad you are here, we get so few visitors these days.
K: If you take the vowels out of the English word PocketFish, you are left with PCKTFSH. Verbs whose :grin: stems end in those letters get a t added in the past tense instead of all other verbs which get a d.
K: Yes. If the PocketFish did not exist, no English speakers learning Dutch as a second language would remember which verbs take t. You'd be saying Ik werkde" instead of ik werkte!
T1: Wow! How do Dutch people remember it?
K: They have their own word. (What is it again, 't kotschip of zoiets?)
Sounds of walking and water running, you know that aquarium sound?
K (whispering): There it is. It's sleeping in its pocket. The pocket is made by the fish out of seaweed and webbing, a bit like a spiderweb.
T1: Wow, and you say people don't know about it? That's sad, not as sad as the war memorials, but it's a real shame!
T2: Yeah, when we meet people on our travels we'll tell them about the PocketFish and how it helps you to conjugate verbs!
K: Thank you so much! Goodbye, and I hope the rest of your vacation is fantastic!

Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Bieneke » August 4th, 2007, 5:15 pm

That looks great! I am really looking forward to the next show. :-)

In the kwebbelhoekje, I read that you were wondering about the length of the show. I think it should be about 10 minutes, otherwise it will take people with slow internet connections a very long time to donwload the show. If the show takes longer than 10 minutes, you can always turn it into a sequal about T's adventures in the Low Countries. :-)
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 4th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Hoi, Bieneke. Ik ben het met je eens.
I guess that means doing my play one act at a time! :D
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Airplane scene

Postby Jeff » August 4th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Ehh, might be a bit long but it's shorter than my first one...crashing in the middle of the ocean and getting rescued.. :eek:

All spelling mistakes are mine and only a few small furry animals were hurt in the making of this. Still need to think of some more short commericials, but it's an attempt.

On the airplane

[[Ok, I'll skip the whole gate checkin procedure then.]

[Stewardess's S1 and S2, Pilot P, co-pilot CP and a confused passenger or two P1, P2.]

[Airplane]
(sounds of people shuffling stuff and overhead compartments opening)
P1: Where is seat 14E?
S1: Over there sir between 14D and 14F
P1: (in a snotty voice) thanks
P2: (young girl) Could you help me put this in there (overhead compartment)
S2: Certainly, happy to be of assistance.

S1: (announcing) Ladies and gentlemen please take your seats as the final boarding call has been announced.
P3: (slightly winded) Am I fashionably late? Starts talking before S1 is done
S2: Yes sir, please take your seat. (papers russel as looking at boarding pass) 4A, on your left there by the window.

[Cockpit]
P: checklist complete?
CP: checked, #3's aux hydraulic has a slight vibration.
P: Noted, we'll have the ground crew check it when we land.
P: anything else?
CP: negative all systems green

[Airplane]

S2: Ladies and gentlemen the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign.
S2: please ensure that all carry-on luggage is securely stowed in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you.
P: Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of tongebreker airlines I would like to welcome you to flight 25. Non-stop service from New York to Amsterdam.

[do we want to introduce the crew?]

P: If you would kindly direct your attention towards the front of the cabin, the stewardess's will go over the safety procedures.
P: and thank you for flying tongbreker airlines, we hope you will have a pleasent journey.
S1: Please read your safety brochure as you follow along with the verbal instructions.
S1: Insert the metal tounge into the buckle as shown and pull the strap until the lapbelt is securely fastened.
S1: Note the location of the closest emergency exit, 2 over the wings (one on each side), 1 in the front and one in the back.
S1: If your sitting next to an emergency exit and don't feel comfortable in your ability to open the door, please press your call button and we will make arangements with another passenger.
the entire time S1 is talking S2 is playing show and tell, basically 'watch what I do and follow along', so as S1 is saying insert...S2 is inserting the metal tongue into a buckle.  After as many flights as i've been on i can do it in my sleep

]
[[Announcer: (Jeff and Dora and I need to work on this but thought I'd post it for feedback): Fasten your seatbelts everybody, we're now taking off. (Reads more of the pre-flight script.)]]

C: Cabin secure for take off?
S2: Yes captian.
C: taxi'ing for takeoff.
(sounds of plane taxi'ing)

(Commercials here for some kind of product to reduce the fear of flying or whatever other commercials we want. Not going to post them to the forum because they're not written yet. stick out tongue )

[T2: Oh, did you want some tongbreker dramamine? (airsickness pills fyi)
T1: Do you think it will help?
T2: yes
T1: then thank you.]

[P: Ladies and gentlemen, we're next in line for takeoff. Please ensure all belongings are secure.
CP: Clearence for takeoff granted.
P: Roger that, motors spooling up, brakes on hold.
(aircraft motor spooling sound)
CP: #3 aux hydraulic vibration seems to have stopped.
(high pitched whine that stops)
P: Interesting... it's interesting but in a non-funny way
P: well make a note of it. definetly peeved
CP: check subdued voice
CP: flaps and slats in takeoff position
CP: All systems nominal
(loudish airplane motor noise here)
P: Motors at 100%, runway clear.
CP: final clearence granted.
P: roger that, holding brake released.

Sound of plane taking off.]

T2 (laughs): You're right, I just switched to Dutch automatically when we boarded. Maybe we're really becoming Dutch!

[(sound of plane landing)
C: Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Amsterdam. The current weather is partly cloudy and a nice 25C. On behalf of the crew we would like to
C: Thank you for flying tongbreker airlines, we hope you enjoy your stay in Amsterdam.]
Engines shut off. The flight is over and the travellers are now in (insert Amsterdam or Rotterdam).

Actually I just thought of this but if they are taking off from New York everybody would be speaking English...?
Last edited by Jeff on August 5th, 2007, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Waardevol lid

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 4th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Wow! Jeff that thing you wrote is amazing! One little thing though, could you fix a couple of the sentences where the people speaking seem to get cut off or is that by design, are they interupting each other?
I'll fix up the spelling later when I integrate it into my copy on my computer.
You did not need to use the [] stuff sorry that was for correcting mistakes.
Don't worry though, it's great and it's easy to read!
I'm reposting but mine doesn't have the airplane scene in it yet. I will integrate them later.

Dirkmath told me some stuff I didn't know about markets and was kind enough to fix the act for me. Act 3 is re-written a bit.
Dirkmath, some of your lines didn't have english translations before them so I have inserted them. If any of my translations are wrong, please post the corrected words and I'll fix it.
Same goes for act 7 I have inserted the Dutch into the English. Thanks so much for translating these parts, Dirkmath! I like this, people translating small parts at a time so if things need to be fixed it is easier.

On the airplane

Sounds of engines vroom vroom.

Act 1

B (more slowly): Certainly, turn left here and go down the hall until you see a sign that points to baggage claim.
A: Ok, here's the train, now we need three tickets to (insert name) and I don't know how much they cost. Please ask the man there.
T2 (stutters a bit and then says): Um yes, may I have three tickets to (name) and how much does that cost?
C: Your Dutch is very easy to understand. Have a good trip. (Is there a Dutch equivalent of bon voyage?)

Act 2

Act 3

A and the Ts are at the market. T1 wants to make homemade pizza and needs some groceries.
T2 has taken on the task of buying the groceries. Will T2 get everything T1 needs?
D (calling loudly): Verse groenten! Vers fruit! Proef maar! Alles even lekker!
D (calling loudly): Fresh vegetables, fresh fruit! Go ahead and taste! Everything is tasty!
The Ts stop at the stall.
D: Ah, en wat zal het zijn voor u dames?
D: Ah, and what will it be for you ladies?
T2: Yes, I need some tomatoes, garlic, onions, capers, olives, olive oil, pineapple,
green pepper, hot chili peppers, and saussage.
D: Zeker, zegt u maar als het genoeg is. Maar voor de worst zal u naar een ander
kraam moeten gaan. Nog iets anders?
D: Certainly, just say when it's enough. For the sausage you'll have to go to another stall. Anything else?
D: Geen probleem, hier is de tomatensaus. En wou u nog iets anders?
D: No problem, here is the tomato sauce. Would you like anything else?
D: Dat is dan 15 euro en 40 cent.
D: That is 15 euros and 40 cents.
T2: Ok, let's go find the sausages, I have to say that was the WORST mistake I have made so far! Asking for meat in a vegetable and fruit stall!
T1: Not so bad. I could have made the same mistake.
A: If you've never been to a market before then how would you know? I see the meat over there. I'll get you the sausages. Your Dutch was great! Tell me, are you really going to put all that stuff you bought on a pizza? I just can't imagine that! However, since you two are brave enough to speak my language, I shall be brave and eat pizza.
T1: Yes, I am going to put it all on, and if you didn't try the pizza, you'd be missing something amazing!

Act 4

G: I've never seen so much stuff on top of a piece of bread. I mean, I just put butter on my bread in the mornings and I've never thought of putting all that stuff on.
H: Yeah, we do, and your Dutch is great too! You both speak better Dutch than... (H can't think of better than what, so G helps him out in the next sentence.)

Act 5

Sounds of a train.
Passenger: I cannot imagine being unfriendly to travellers. There are too many hardships in this world for people to be rude to each other.
Sounds of the train.

Act 6

Act 7

K: Welkom in het PocketFish Aquarium! Weten jullie waarom de Pocketfish zo speciaal
is?
K: Ja, inderdaad deze vis is bedreigd. Het is echt droevig omdat zoveel mensen hun
grammatica vergeten zijn en ze zich daardoor ook de arme kleine PocketFish niet meer
herinneren. Deze vis zal wel niet echt uitsterven, maar spoedig zal niemand meer
weten dat hij ooit bestaan heeft. Op die manier is het dus een bedreigde vissoort.
Ik ben echt blij dat jullie hier zijn, er komen zo weinig bezoekers de laatste tijd.
K: Als je de klinkers weglaat uit het Engelse woord PocketFish dan blijft er PCKTFSH
over. Zwakke werkwoorden waarvan de stam op een van die letters eindigt, krijgen
een t in de verleden tijd en geen d zoals alle andere zwakke werkwoorden.
K: If you take the vowels out of the English word PocketFish, you are left with PCKTFSH. Weak verbs whose stems end in those letters get a t added in the past tense instead of all other weak verbs which get a d.
K: Ja. Als de PocketFish niet meer bestond, dan zouden de Engelstaligen die Nederlands
als tweede taal leren niet meer weten welke werkwoorden een t krijgen. Jullie zouden
bijvoorbeeld "ik werkde" zeggen in plaats van "ik werkte".
K: Yes. If the PocketFish did not exist, no English speakers learning Dutch as a second language would remember which verbs take t. For example, you'd be saying Ik werkde" instead of ik werkte!
K: Zij hebben hun eigen woord: 't kofschip of 't fokschaap.
K: They have their own word, 't kofschip or 't fokschaap.
K: Jazeker, dat mag. Kom maar langs hier.
K (whispering): Daar is hij. Hij slaapt in zijn zakje of pocket. De vis maakt dat
zakje uit zeewier en spinsel, een beetje zoals een spinnenweb.
T1: Wow, and you say people don't know about it? That's sad, not as sad as the war memorials, but it's a real shame!
K: Dank u wel! Tot ziens, en ik hoop dat de rest van jullie vakantie even fantastisch
is.

Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Jeff » August 5th, 2007, 4:17 am

I was typing it in notepad so if I never did a hard return it would of been one very long sentance. I'll put some stuff in italics to help explain the potentially confusing lines.

The only one's whom interupt are P3 and the captain but well she's the captain and they get to do that.  :lol:
Jeff
Waardevol lid

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 5th, 2007, 4:46 am

I think it was probably just a couple of interuptions, just the captain probably. I think the forum inserts line breaks automatically if you paste long lines in, but not sure.
Anyway, I'll work on it and post it and you can let me know if I got your meanings right.
Groetjes and thanks for writing this!
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 5th, 2007, 5:39 am

Oei, dit wordt ontzettend lang! Oh my, this is getting hugely long!

On the airplane

Stewardesses S1 and S2, Pilot P, co-pilot CP and a confused passenger or two P1,
P2.
Airplane
Sounds of people shuffling stuff and overhead compartments opening.
P1: Where is seat 14E?
S1: Over there sir between 14D and 14F.
P1 (in a snotty voice): Thanks.
P2: (young girl) Could you help me put this in the overhead compartment?
S2: Certainly, happy to be of assistance.
S1 (announcing): Ladies and gentlemen please take your seats as the final boarding
call has been announced...
P3 (starts to speak before S1 has finished, slightly winded): Am I fashionably late?
(Dirkmath told me that fashionably late does not exist in Dutch. Dirk, what was that expression again and what should the text in English say?)
S2: Yes sir, please take your seat.
Sounds of flipping through boarding pass papers.
S2: 4A, on your left there by the window.
The microphones in the cockpit accidentally got wired so that people in the cabin can also hear conversations taking place in the cockpit.
P: Checklist complete?
CP: Checked, number three's aux (is this auxiliary?) hydraulic has a slight vibration.
P: Noted, we'll have the ground crew check it when we land.
P: Anything else?
CP: Negative, all systems green.
S2: Ladies and gentlemen the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please ensure that all carry-on luggage is securely stowed in the overhead bins
or under the seat in front of you.
P: Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of Tongebreker Airlines, I would like to welcome
you to flight 25. Non-stop service from New York to Amsterdam.
[do we want to introduce the crew?]
[Yes, please introduce them!]
P: If you would kindly direct your attention to the front of the cabin, the
stewardesses will go over the safety procedures. Thank you for flying Tongbreker Airlines, we hope you will have a pleasant
journey.
S1: Please read your safety brochure as you follow along with the verbal instructions. Insert the metal tongue into the buckle as shown and pull the strap until the
lapbelt is securely fastened. Note the location of the closest emergency exit, one over each wing, one in the front, and one in the back. If you're sitting next to an emergency exit and don't feel comfortable in your
ability to open the door, please press your call button and we will make arrangements
with another passenger.
(Jeff, this is good, but S1 has a bit too much to say. We know there's a visual, but S2 needs some of these lines because it might be quite long for one person to say all that. If somebody is ok with S1's long part then we can just leave it.)
T1: I didn't realize this, but I'm afraid to fly. I have never been on a plane before
and thought flying was going to be cool, but now that I'm here...
C: Cabin secure for take off?
S2: Yes Captain.
C: Taxi'ing for takeoff.
Sounds of plane taxi'ing.
[Sorry Jeff I changed this part on you. ;) )
Sounds of rummaging through pocket on back of seat in front.
T2: Look, I have found a booklet about how to overcome the fear of flying. It's called The Tongbreker Airlines Guide to Relaxation During Flights. Darn long title but looks interesting.
T1: Oh, I got a copy too, we should both read it.
Sounds of pages turning as the Ts read.
T2: I don't feel so nervous now.
T1: Same here. I feel just the opposite, ready to get in the air!
P: Ladies and gentlemen, we're next in line for takeoff. Please ensure all belongings
are secure.
CP: Clearence for takeoff granted.
P: Roger that, motors spooling up, brakes on hold.
Aircraft motor spooling sound?
CP: Number three aux hydraulic vibration seems to have stopped.
High pitched whine that stops.
P: I'll still need to have it checked, make a note of it.
CP (subdued voice): Check.
CP (normal voice): Flaps and slats in takeoff position. All systems nominal.
(What on earth does nominal mean and how many hours have you flown, Jeff? You know so much about planes I bet you're a pilot!)
Loudish airplane motor noise here.
P: Motors at 100%, runway clear.
CP: Final clearence granted.
P: Roger that, holding brake released.
T1: We're in the air! This is fun!
T2: Yeah, just look at that view!
T1: Not the view silly the feeling! Feel that engine's power! Um, I guess I should say engines.
T2: The feeling was a bit scary, I meant the view. Ah man, my ears are popping, anybody got any gum?
(Commercial for Tongbreker chewing gum.)
T1: We're getting close. Did you notice we've been speaking Dutch all this time?
I never noticed that!
T2 (laughs): You're right, I just switched to Dutch automatically when we boarded.
Maybe we're really becoming Dutch!
Passenger (in Dutch of course): You two speak very good Dutch by the way! I've been
sitting here admiring your nice pronunciation!
Sound of plane landing.
C: Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Amsterdam. The current weather is partly cloudy
and a nice 25C. On behalf of the crew we would like to...
(This part looks odd, why is to the last word here?)
C: Thank you for flying Tongbreker Airlines. We hope you enjoy your stay in Amsterdam.]
Engines shut off. The flight is over and the travellers are now in Amsterdam.

(Jeff: Actually I just thought of this but if they are taking off from New York everybody
would be speaking English...?
EetSmakelijk: Lots would, but if it is a flight to the Netherlands people might be Dutch and the crew would probably all speak Dutch I think. Besides, we made up the airline so if they speak Dutch then that's up to us! :P )

Act 1

Act 2

Act 3

A and the Ts are at the market. T1 wants to make homemade pizza and needs some groceries.
T2 has taken on the task of buying the groceries. Will T2 get everything T1 needs?
D (calling loudly): Verse groenten! Vers fruit! Proef maar! Alles even lekker!
D (calling loudly): Fresh vegetables, fresh fruit! Go ahead and taste! Everything is tasty!
The Ts stop at the stall.
D: Ah, en wat zal het zijn voor u dames?
D: Ah, and what will it be for you ladies?
T2: Yes, I need some tomatoes, garlic, onions, capers, olives, olive oil, pineapple,
green pepper, hot chili peppers, and saussage.
D: Zeker, zegt u maar als het genoeg is. Maar voor de worst zal u naar een ander
kraam moeten gaan. Nog iets anders?
D: Certainly, just say when it's enough. For the sausage you'll have to go to another stall. Anything else?
D: Geen probleem, hier is de tomatensaus. En wou u nog iets anders?
D: No problem, here is the tomato sauce. Would you like anything else?
D: Dat is dan 15 euro en 40 cent.
D: That is 15 euros and 40 cents.
T2: Ok, let's go find the sausages, I have to say that was the WORST mistake I have made so far! Asking for meat in a vegetable and fruit stall!
T1: Not so bad. I could have made the same mistake.
A: If you've never been to a market before then how would you know? I see the meat over there. I'll get you the sausages. Your Dutch was great! Tell me, are you really going to put all that stuff you bought on a pizza? I just can't imagine that! However, since you two are brave enough to speak my language, I shall be brave and eat pizza.
T1: Yes, I am going to put it all on, and if you didn't try the pizza, you'd be missing something amazing!

Act 4

T1 maakt voor iedereen een pizza bij A thuis.
T1 is making a pizza for everybody at A's house.
A: Kom maar binnen allemaal. T1 gaat net beginnen met koken en dat willen jullie niet
missen. Ze heeft gezegd dat we allemaal mogen kijken hoe ze de pizza maakt.
F: Kom op!
G: Dat ziet er goed uit.
H: Jazeker.
T2: Ik heb haar pizza al een miljoen keer gehad, en elke keer wordt hij? het? beter!
T1 (nerveus): Ik hoop dat jullie hem lekker vinden.
T1 (nervous): I hope you like it.
G: Ik heb nog nooit zoveel spul op een pizza gezien. Ik bedoel, ik doe 's morgens alleen
boter op mijn brood en ik heb nooit gedacht dat je dat er allemaal ook op kan doen.
H: Dat geldt voor mij ook, maar het wordt vast heel lekker.
F: Ze haalt hem uit de oven, kijk, daar komt hij, wow, wat ruikt dat lekker!
A: Ja! Het ziet er echt lekker uit! Ik denk dat ik dit heerlijk ga vinden.
A (lacht): O, je kent al die uitdrukking, je wordt echt Nederlands!
A (laughs): Oh, you know that expression, you are becoming so Dutch!
T2: Ik ken het ook, eet smakelijk!
T2: I know it too, eet smakelijk!
F: T1, ga jij naar Nederland verhuizen? Want als je dat doe, dan moet je een restaurant
beginnen en je pizzas gaan verkopen.
A: Ja, en T2 zou je daarmee kunnen helpen!
A: Yes, and T2 could help you with that!
T1 (lacht): Tsja, het is mogelijk dat ik hier naartoe kom, maar ik weet niet of ik dan een pizza restaurant open. Ik ben blij dat jullie het lekker vinden.
T1 (laughs): Well, I might move here, but I don't know about opening a pizza restaurant. I'm glad you like it.
H: Dat vinden we zeker en jouw Nederlands is ook erg goed.
G: ...dan mijn zus.
T2: Hoe oud is je zus? Ik weet zeker dat ze twee is of zoiets.
G (lacht): Echt niet, zij is 20!
T1: Waarom spreekt ze dan slecht Nederlands?
G: Zij articuleert niet zo duidelijk als jullie. Ze moet steeds herhalen wat ze gezegd
heeft.
A: Waar ga je heen als je hier vertrekt?
T1: Ik ga naar Vlaanderen. Ik ga een paar oorlogsmonumenten bezoeken. Het is triest, maar
de geschiedenis is belangrijk en we moeten het niet gaan herhalen.
F: Dat vind ik ook.
G: Ja. En jij, T2, wat ga je doen?
H: Hoi, ik ben van Vlaanderen. Je hebt misschien wel gemerkt dat ik een ander accent
heb. Tsja, die Ollanders zeggen dat ik een accent heb, maar ik denk dat zij het hebben.
Allee, ik ben blij dat je mijn land gaat bezoeken. Zeg het gedag van mij, ik mis
mijn thuis.
T2: Ja, ik had het zeker in de gaten. Bedankt voor je uitleg. Ik denk dat het met Engels
sprekende landen hetzelfde is. Zij hebben elk hun eigen accent.  Ik zal Vlaanderen
luid en duidelijk groeten namens jou.
A: Helaas allemaal, het is bijna bedtijd. Ik vond het feestje zo leuk, dat ik bijna
vergeten ben dat ik morgen moet werken als ik T1 en t2 naar het station heb gebracht.
T1: Je werk vergeten is altijd een goede zaak.
F: Voor mij niet, ik hou van mijn werk.
G: Werken is goed, maar feesten is veel beter!
G: Work is ok, but partying is more fun!
H: Ik haat mijn werk. Ik werk alleen, omdat er brood op de plank moet komen.
T1: Het doet mij deugd dat jullie de pizza lekker vonden. Het was prettig met jullie
kennis te maken. Dit is het beste land. Ik denk echt dat ik hiernaartoe verhuis.
H: Voordat je besluit waar je heen gaat, moet je eerst Vlaanderen bezoeken.
T2: Dat is een goed idee. Ik (heb?) zo'n gevoel dat het net zo leuk zal zijn en dat ik dan niet
meer weet waar ik heen moet verhuizen ....

Act 5

Sounds of a train.
Sounds of the train.

Act 6

Act 7

K: Welkom in het PocketFish Aquarium! Weten jullie waarom de Pocketfish zo speciaal
is?
K: Ja, inderdaad deze vis is bedreigd. Het is echt droevig omdat zoveel mensen hun
grammatica vergeten zijn en ze zich daardoor ook de arme kleine PocketFish niet meer
herinneren. Deze vis zal wel niet echt uitsterven, maar spoedig zal niemand meer
weten dat hij ooit bestaan heeft. Op die manier is het dus een bedreigde vissoort.
Ik ben echt blij dat jullie hier zijn, er komen zo weinig bezoekers de laatste tijd.
K: Als je de klinkers weglaat uit het Engelse woord PocketFish dan blijft er PCKTFSH
over. Zwakke werkwoorden waarvan de stam op een van die letters eindigt, krijgen
een t in de verleden tijd en geen d zoals alle andere zwakke werkwoorden.
K: If you take the vowels out of the English word PocketFish, you are left with PCKTFSH. Weak verbs whose stems end in those letters get a t added in the past tense instead of all other weak verbs which get a d.
K: Ja. Als de PocketFish niet meer bestond, dan zouden de Engelstaligen die Nederlands
als tweede taal leren niet meer weten welke werkwoorden een t krijgen. Jullie zouden
bijvoorbeeld "ik werkde" zeggen in plaats van "ik werkte".
K: Yes. If the PocketFish did not exist, no English speakers learning Dutch as a second language would remember which verbs take t. For example, you'd be saying Ik werkde" instead of ik werkte!
K: Zij hebben hun eigen woord: 't kofschip of 't fokschaap.
K: They have their own word, 't kofschip or 't fokschaap.
K: Jazeker, dat mag. Kom maar langs hier.
K (whispering): Daar is hij. Hij slaapt in zijn zakje of pocket. De vis maakt dat
zakje uit zeewier en spinsel, een beetje zoals een spinnenweb.
K: Dank u wel! Tot ziens, en ik hoop dat de rest van jullie vakantie even fantastisch
is.

Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby EetSmakelijk » August 5th, 2007, 5:59 am

We are very close to having a final copy of the text.
I was able to use Ome Jorge's translation of act 4 and Dirkmath translated parts of acts 3 and 7.
I put in translations (my own, :shock ), into act 4 but did not know all the words so had to skip some lines. This was because I had added more lines after Ome Jorge translated the act.
Thank you Dirkmath for reminding me that only WEAK verbs worry about PocketFish. ;)
I am going to try and translate more of act 3 tonight. If anybody (native or non-native) wants to help with translation, please post and say which act you are working on so people don't translate the same stuff.
I am working only on 3 and that may be all I do unless nobody feels like doing the other acts.
Dirkmath, could you please finish 7 since you already started it? ;)
Anybody who translates please post your work to this topic, or if you are a non-native and too shy to show off, pm your work to a native who can correct it and post it or give it to you to post.
You could also send it to me after it has been fixed by a native if you prefer and I can post it.
To people correcting translations, please write in what the sentences should be and please leave the incorrect text in [] so I can delete that and not delete corrected text by mistake.
Example:
[Deze zinnetje is heel slecht.]
Dit zinnetje is heel slecht.
Deze zin is heel slecht.
That way you are allowing me (or others) to pick from the possible correct texts and to delete the incorrect one. This also allows people practicing their translation skills to see exactly what they wrote and then the correct text after it.
Sorry for the long long long long post, I do tend to go on! :D/
If anything is unclear or confusing, please post it or pm me.
Thanks!
Bedankt!
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator