What does 95% chance of passing mean?

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!
Poshi
Nieuwkomer

What does 95% chance of passing mean?

Post by Poshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:30 am

Hi!

I just used my first TIN-Code to practice for the Dutch Language Skills exam. My result was 95% chance of passing. What does that mean? It sounds like a good number, but now I wonder if it means that I did not actually pass the practice test! Scary thought... :-(

If someone can help me understand the meaning of this I would really appreciate it!

Thanx! :-)

Poshi
Nieuwkomer

Re: What does 95% chance of passing mean?

Post by Poshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi again!

I found my answer in http://www.thiememeulenhoff.nl/document ... gkey=53786

I have taken the practice test a number of times. Every time I have received a different score but the chance of passing the language test has always been the same. Why?
Your chance of passing the language test (as expressed in a percentage) is based on the pass rate. That is why, for example, a score of 39 or 80 can result in a 95% chance of passing because both scores are above the pass rate.
The chance of passing the language test cannot, however, be higher than 95% because there is no guarantee (chance of 100%) that the test taker will pass the language test of the civic integration exam.

I feel better now! ;-)

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Re: What does 95% chance of passing mean?

Post by Bieneke » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

You were quick! :D

Well done, by the way. It looks like you do not need to worry about passing your test.
Bieneke