Staatsexamen NT2 & Inburgeringsexamen

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!
tellme
Nieuwkomer

Staatsexamen NT2 & Inburgeringsexamen

Post by tellme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:04 pm

I'll really appreciate more details of what I should do and will be doing in order to pass my whole inburgering course.
I am still confused of the whole programme for the course.

1) For a start, what is the difference between NT2 examen and Inburgering?
2) I understand there are 36 portfolios which I have to do alone to collect more information for each subject?
3) someone told me I'll need to "work" for "gratis" for at least 3 months?! is that what they called "inloopestage"?
(I maybe wrong. please correct me)
4) There will be 2 big exams. One is Centrale Examen which consisting 3 parts?
5) Another exam is the "portfolio" - which I am not sure what that is!

I am very shocked today to hear that I've to work as a volunteer -that's another word for "free labour" for such long period of time!
And the irony is that, today, we covered the subject on "iedereen in Nederland vrijheid van meningsuiting heeft" en "kiesrecht"

Can someone please help me. Greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Bieneke on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the title of the post (made it more descriptive)

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Re: more information please.

Post by Bieneke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:45 pm

tellme wrote:I'll really appreciate more details of what I should do and will be doing in order to pass my whole inburgering course.
I am still confused of the whole programme for the course.

1) For a start, what is the difference between NT2 examen and Inburgering?
You only have to pass either one of them.

The Inburgeringsexamen tests your Dutch skills and your knowledge of Dutch society. It involves a practical and a theoretical part. The Staatsexamen NT2 also tests your level of Dutch (comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing skills), but on a higher level. If you pass the Staatsexamen NT2, you do not need to pass the Inburgeringsexamen.
tellme wrote:2) I understand there are 36 portfolios which I have to do alone to collect more information for each subject?
The portfolio is part of the Inburgeringsexamen.

For the practical exam, you have to submit a portfolio and/or take part in an assessment. The portfolio is a collection of documents that prove you are participating (read: interacting with Dutch speakers) in Dutch society. The assessments are role plays based on real-life situations.

If you opt for the portfolio without an assessment, you will have to include 30 forms in your portfolio and discuss it in a panel interview. If you choose to combine the portfolio with an assessment, you will have to submit 15 forms and take 3 assessment tests. If you opt for an assessment without portfolio, you have to take 6 assessment tests.
tellme wrote: 3) someone told me I'll need to "work" for "gratis" for at least 3 months?! is that what they called "inloopestage"? (I maybe wrong. please correct me)
In a 'maatschappelijk stage' (community service), you are not expected to be very productive; it has an educational purpose. Since this year, the maatschappelijke stage is compulsory for secondary school students. You can also be obliged to do a maatschappelijke stage if you are unemployed. They were talking about making the maatschappelijke stage compulsory for inburgeraars (people who take the Inburgeringsexamen) as well, but as far as I know, this is not the case yet (but perhaps, I missed something!).
tellme wrote: 4) There will be 2 big exams. One is Centrale Examen which consisting 3 parts?
1. Digitale Praktijktoets: an open questions exam (no multiple choice) about practical situations, covering the same topics as in the practical part of the Inburgeringsexamen.
2. Toets Gesproken Nederlands (repeat sentences and short stories, answer simple questions)
3. Examen Kennis van de Nederlandse Samenleving (KNS): A multiple choice exam that tests your knowledge of Dutch society.
tellme wrote: 5) Another exam is the "portfolio" - which I am not sure what that is!
This was explained above. For each situation that can serve as a proof, you have to fill out a standard form. For example, if you have been speaking Dutch with your neighbour or your doctor, you have to ask them to fill out the form for you. If you had to write something in Dutch in a particular situation, you can also include your note or letter. This also serves as a proof.

Not all situations count as proof. You have to collect evidence for situations that have to do with "Burgerschap" (living in the Netherlands: communication with your bank, the police, etc.) and "Werk zoeken" (finding work). If you work, you also have to find proof for work situations ("Werk hebben"). If you have children or if you go to school, you have to look for "OGO" (Onderwijs, Gezondheid en Opvoeding") situations.
tellme wrote:I am very shocked today to hear that I've to work as a volunteer -that's another word for "free labour" for such long period of time!
And the irony is that, today, we covered the subject on "iedereen in Nederland vrijheid van meningsuiting heeft" en "kiesrecht"

Can someone please help me. Greatly appreciated.
If you want to avoid the practical part of the Inburgeringsexamen, you can always do the Staatsexamen NT2. Bear in mind that this requires a higher level of Dutch.

Good luck with it!
Bieneke