NT2 Realistic time scale for preparation

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!
sal
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

NT2 Realistic time scale for preparation

Post by sal » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I was recently informed at work that I must take the NT2 exam all four parts by the 1st July in order to have my employment contract continued. I was slightly upset by this because when I was originally employed to teach English I asked if I would need to have a certain level of Dutch, and the answer was absolutely not. They advertised for a native speaker of English.

My tests are booked for 17 & 18 June.

I understand that sometimes having a basic knowledge of Dutch can be useful in the classroom or staff room, but I feel that to be informed less than three months before their deadline is not enough time to prepare considering I work full time and have to mark work and prepare materials at home also.

Does anyone have any advice for revising for the tests and are the example tests that are online up to date.

I welcome any practical advice.

Thank you
Sal :-(

Vicky
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fourth language: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: een beetje Slowaaks

Re: NT2 Realistic time scale for preparation

Post by Vicky » Wed May 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Did they say which of Staatsexamen you must to take - I or II? There's a slight difference between these 2 levels. And how basic your language is? Maybe you should go to a ROC and do a so-called "proefexamen" just to find out what is your level. I have done that and that was for free. After that trial-exam they will offer you a suitable course but it's not obligatory to take it. You have a very limited time, so you have to hurry up. Do you knwo that results of your exams will be announced to you only after 6 weeks which means tou won't know if you passed by 1 July. I think you should talk to your employer. It isn't fare what they do.
In any case whishing you a lot of success!
Visky

sal
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Re: NT2 Realistic time scale for preparation

Post by sal » Wed May 13, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Vicky

Thanks for your reply to my dilemma! I have to do the NT2 II part. I also didn't know about the announcement time of the results thanks for that I will inform my employer asap.

I have done a basic intense course but of course when you don't have time to practise at work everyday you soon forget alot. Another problem is that everyone automatically talks English with me or avoids me at work as they have very little time to relax in the short breaks we have!

I will take your advice about the ROC and see if I can do a proefexamen, in the mean time I will just have to study every night. Or look for another job! :)

Again thank you, much appreciated.
Sal