Please advise!

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!

Please advise!

Postby Rosana » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 am

Im studying in Gilde Opleidingen about 3 months. But im not happy the way the teachers taught me. All the while they just asked me sit in front of the computer and learn by myself. Im wondering is it this is the way i get from the school. I must complete B2 course within 10 months and then only get a diploma certificate. Within so short period suppose i will get more support and more help from the teachers but i get nothing from them. As they told me that im a fast learner and for the first few months i must independent and learn by myself, is it true? They just gave me the Code 1 and Groene book for self study and never ask me how is my progress. And all the time ,is im the one to take an inisiatif to ask for the teachers. I really so keen to learn dutch but the teachers never teach me anything just ask me selfstudy base on that 2 books. Im quite dissapointed about that. The gemeente pay 4000 euro for the course and this is what i get from the school? Then what is the different i go to school and learn myself at home? Besides is very unfair to me that i have to complete B2 course within 10 months times without any support from the teachers but for other students who need to complete their A2 level within 1 year they get fully support from the teachers.Somehow i really out of mind dat this school really doesn't have any systematic and organisation. Besides, I did look through some past years examinations that u have suggested. But i need more exersices. So do u have any past year examinations like 2005-2009 or 1995-1999? Or how can i get it? Hope u can understand my situations which i face and please give some advice,thanks.

Rosana
Rosana
Nieuwkomer

Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Re: Please advise!

Postby Remisschien » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Rosana,

Can you tell me where you are getting this course and at which school? Is it for example Capabel, Sagenn, Mondriaan? I never heard of Gilde Opleidingen, so I'm wondering where that is. It's clear that this isn't a good example of how an 'inburgerings' course should work. The best thing for you to do, seems to be talking to the boss of all these teachers or go to the 'gemeente' itself. You should make their boss clear that they aren't really doing their work.
To get a B2 diploma you should actually also study CODE II and CODE III. I'm an teacher in Den Haag where I give an intensive course. The books I'm using are CODE I and CODE II, whereafter they will do an exam at the level of B1. To get a diploma for B2 they will also have to follow the course in which CODE III is used. If I were you, I would really try to go to another school, where the teachers actually TEACH and where you will be given more time to complete the course.
You could make your school aware of the procedure that other schools (like ours in Den Haag) use (where more than 90% of the students pass the exam).
I guess that it isn't possible for you to follow lessons in another school (in another 'gemeente'), because of your work and the time that would have to travel. If this is not a big problem, I would really try to look for a better school.

Keep me updated and good luck,

Renee
Remisschien
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Postby Rosana » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Renee,

Thanks for ur kindly reply and gave me a such good advice. I did complaint to the gemeente and the school now trying to be better a bit in terms of teaching and put me into the B1 group. Actually the school really doesn't help much the most important is our selfstudy. Because there are some gap between the students. Example some of the students staying here for more than 20 years and 10 years.So in term of listening and speaking there are much better than me but in term of writting and reading im better than them. So there is a gap and also very difficult for teachers to teach us. Moreover there are some students already study in B1 group for sometimes and i just slot in to the group and also no idea where to start and what suppose need to study. Actually the whole system of the school is quite messy and the gemeente set the period for me also too short. Besides got one teacher told me that for "buitenlanders" really can not complete in B2 level within 10 months. Seems to be the teacher also under estimate and look down at me so do you think the teachers really put a lot of his or her effort to teach me? So I really disappointed and give up whatever the school wanna to teach me, the important thing is i need to put more effort in my self study. I just wanna to release my unhappiness what i get from the school and how the teachers treat us especially our buitenlanders. Somehow the teachers really dun know how keen i am to learn the dutch language so that i wanna to get a job as soon as possible. Sometimes i also think that i wanna go back to my country and give up to learn the ducth language cause what i want is not up to my expectation. Anyway really thanks for ur advice and ur kindness i really do appreciated.

Rosana
Rosana
Nieuwkomer

Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Postby westwind » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:47 pm

CODE I, II ,III are the best.
(not Code Nederlands 1, 2. be carefull)
actually that is all what you need.
Staatsexamen NT2 programma II
Diploma Houder
thank you DutchGrammar & my warmest regards to all active members