RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 19th, 2014, 6:01 pm    

Help with moving to Holland!

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!

Postby Cherish » January 25th, 2011, 11:09 am

Hi

I am planning on moving to Maastricht in the summer with my boyfreind. He is going to uni and i am planning on working.
I'd just like to know what i have to do in order to work and live in the Netherlands for a few years.
I currently live in the UK and am studying Dutch. I've been researching the move and have found i need to take a Dutch test (NT2) for tempoarary citizenship is this correct? I've also gathered i don't need an MVV as i am an EU national but i do need to apply for the residence permit?
Also i am a bit unsure of what the inburgering exam is. When do i need to start applying for the permits and for the test?
If someone could reply to this i'd be really grateful, just want to get as much information as possible really.

Cherish
Cherish
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Re: Help with moving to Holland!

Postby Polyhymnia » February 12th, 2011, 4:13 pm

If you are a UK citizen, you can just move here. It is suggested to apply for a residence permit because carrying ID here is compulsory, and you don't really want to carry your passport around everywhere.

You also don't need to any Dutch tests whatsoever unless, five years down the road, you want to apply for permanent residency or citizenship (which, because you're British, isn't really necessary). Being EU exempts you from most requirements most of us have to go through.

Always a good thing to learn Dutch though! Some gemeentes allow you to take the inburgeringscursus, but others refuse to allow EU citizens to enroll. Depends. Ask your gemeente if you want to go that route, but the quality of such courses really varies. I'm from Canada, so had to attend, and it was basically an "immigrant obedience course". I've heard that at least one doesn't even teach Dutch!! You're probably better off checking out courses on offer at the University of Maastricht or other private schools.

Maastricht is lovely! Hopefully the local dialect doesn't make learning Dutch more complicated for you...
Polyhymnia
Lid

Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Postby Cherish » February 15th, 2011, 11:00 am

Hey

Thanks for the info, i can't wait to move we are visiting Maastricht at the end of March, where in the Nederlands do you live?
I am learning Dutch have been for about 7 months now, but i'm finding the word order extremeley difficult, but i know it takes alot of practice!
What is the dialect in Maastricht like? Has made me a bit nervous now! :?
Cherish
Waardevol lid

Mother tongue: English

Postby Quetzal » February 15th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Cherish wrote:Hey

Thanks for the info, i can't wait to move we are visiting Maastricht at the end of March, where in the Nederlands do you live?
I am learning Dutch have been for about 7 months now, but i'm finding the word order extremeley difficult, but i know it takes alot of practice!
What is the dialect in Maastricht like? Has made me a bit nervous now! :?

Limburgs is indeed a bit special - not as difficult as some other dialects, but still a dialect that deviates from the Randstad-Nederlands that you're presumably learning. But no worries, people will do an effort to speak standard Dutch to you when they know you're still learning it.
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Return to NT2-examen & Inburgering