Wie vinden de Delftse Methode moelijk?

NT2 is 'Nederlands als Tweede Taal' or 'Dutch as a second language. 'Inburgering' is 'integration'. Many people who settle in the Netherlands have to do the 'inburgeringsexamen' or 'Staatsexamen NT2'. In this subforum, you can ask questions about this exam. If you have already done the exam, you are warmly invited to share your experience with us!

Wie vinden de Delftse Methode moelijk?

Postby Mevrouw.Milano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I am in school here in Holland learning dutch and we use the Delftse Methode. I am a native English speaker and I find this method to be really hard to learn with. The set up is simple enough but it doesn't explain anything about the language. It's nothing more then remembering lines. If a real life situation doesn't go exactly like the conversations go in the book then your at a complete loss. I find it extremely odd that they give verbs in various conjugated states yet they never tell you the "helewerkword" the infinitive version of the verb. Also a good portion of the translations from Dutch to English are incorrect and from what I hear from other students the same is true for the other language translations.

The Delftse Methode is mildly entertaining if your are capable of figuring out whats going on in the stories but seeing as how my citizenship depends on me being able to read, write, and speak (correctly!) the Dutch language I am not very concerned about being entertained. I want to learn. It is no surprise that people who are learning a new language are as ignorant to the language as a small child is learning their own language from a baby. Wouldn't it be easier to first get a good sized vocabulary under our belts and from their learn how to properly use those words? The Delftse Methode doesn't teach you how to construct a sentence at all and what good is knowing all these words (in their various forms) if you don't know how to properly apply them into use.

Just curious what everyone else thinks about this method.
Mevrouw.Milano
Lid

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Re: Wie vinden de Delftse Methode moelijk?

Postby ngonyama » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 am

I must admit that I do not know the Delftse Methode: Dutch is my mothertongue, but I have learned a few other languages since. My experience is that no single method is ideal and that one method works better for one person the other for the other. Also I look at language a lot differently now that I am older than when I was young. Memorizing becomes harder, understanding grammatical structures easier. My experience is also that each learning opportunity gives you something only if you make something out of it. The internet gives people opportunities that I could only wish I had had when I was young, but yes you are the one to make them work.

If you are dissatisfied with only getting taught a form like 'loopt' rather than the whole verb, well, go to a place like wiktionary, look up where it comes from and learn a few other forms as well. Then type in loopt in google and see what pops up, see what you can understand. Then go stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself a story. In Dutch. Involving the word loopt. If you get stuck in what you are trying to tell that (very patient) person in the mirror, look up some words or forms. Get tired? Go do something else: tomorrow is another day.

Whatever you do: Don't be passive in that and wait until they come tell you. You have to find what works best for you and a combination of methods may well be the best.
ngonyama
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Postby Grytolle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 am

http://delftmethod.org/uk/cursisten/filosofie.shtml

Sounds like the method should involve enough grammar, so maybe your teachers are just doing it wrong? :(
:-)
Grytolle
Superlid

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Postby mevrouw Ryan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

@Mevrouw Milano
Hallo,

I have today just had my final test for the beginners course using the Delftse Methode - and yes - it is difficult! Well, not so much difficult, just a very long memory test. I have been part of a study group based at TU Delft and after having approximately 10 different teachers throughout the 5 week course, I feel as if I have been really let down by the method. You are exactly right - unless I take the Greone boek every where I go, I don't feel as if I have a chance of really understanding the language. And after the amount of money it has just cost to do... well, lets just say I am less than pleased and won't be recommending it to anyone.

I really couldn't agree with you more about not being able to construct a sentence properly either. I have had to purchase other grammar books in order for me to have an inkling about what is going on.

With regards to understanding what other people are saying, I feel it has been good for that, and I feel happy enough to sit and listen to Dutch people. Besides, some lessons we only got the chance to listen to the teacher who was quite keen on telling their own story...

Heel sucess met uw inburgeringstoets!
mevrouw Ryan
Nieuwkomer

Postby Shazzy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Hello
I live in England and I have tried De Zelfde Method in the past and it did not work for me either. Personally you must enjoy your learning and that way you will learn more. Perhaps this class is just not right for you. My mother was not Dutch and she did not teach me Dutch and I was annoyed with her for years and when I was 21 decided to go to classes and she just made fun at me and that put me off. For a number of years I did beginner classes as it was so hard to get any higher in the area where I lived in the Uk so in the end just gave up. It was not until my mother died 3 years ago when I decided I wanted to have another try and this time it worked. Because like someone has said above there is no so much more help via the Internet that was not there years ago so "real Dutch people" in Holland can help those like me :-D To my surprise I found a Dutch Language School in Oxford that was run by a native Dutch teacher and her correspondence courses are fantastic. After me completing the beginners course I could actually start to speak Dutch... I am now on my third course doing GCSE which is a UK based qualification and I take my exams in May. The one area these courses lack are in talking and prouncation so 8 weeks ago I had another look round the Internet and found Yorien - a Dutch teacher from Grongingen who teaches over skype and who does a simple but brilliant and fun email course and very cheap (39 euros for 6 lessons I think). I also having a 20 min talking lesson with her every week and my prouncation has really improved so I am hoping when I get my mock exam with my teacher in Oxford in a couple of weeks time she will notice the difference. She tells me that my Dutch is good. :D Perhaps doing a simple email course would be good for you as altough you work through it at your own speed it is fun and simple grammar is also involved in the course and its full of soundbytes and real dutch conversations. If you are interested you can find her at http://www.sayitindutch.com

It has already been said above one method is not right for everyone. The important thing is that you learn by whatever method is good for you. And a tip..... this site is so much helpful for learning too. Try some of Jokes lessons in the audio area as they are brilliant. If you do any writing etc one of the natives correct it for you. I have learnt so much from them and I am sure you will too. I would be interested to hear how you get on. I pop on the forum every day :D
Shazzy
Superlid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch

Postby Lynn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:06 pm

I have browsed through the Delftse Methode and I find it to be a more advanced book, not for beginners but for people who already have a sufficient level of Dutch to begin with. I was not at ease with the format of the book.

By now, after one year of Dutch learning, I just use whatever book which I am most comfortable with, and not necessary the book used by the school. Of course when I was at school I used the recommended books, but at home, I am free to study whatever book I like :)
Lynn
Waardevol lid

Postby Shazzy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi Lynn
I have some other books that I have just come across I will email you about them as they are brilliant by what I have seen online. I ordered them direct from holland and they should be here sometime this week. They have also produced a new book which contains NT2 practice test papers. I will email you about them all ok.

Shazzy :D :D
Shazzy
Superlid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch

Return to NT2-examen & Inburgering