Why Dutch?

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!

Why Dutch?

Just out of curiosity
20%
Settling in Holland / Belgium
12%
Work in Holland / Belgium
12%
Study in Holland / Belgium
7%
Preparing for the Inburgeringsexamen
1%
Dutch speaking parents
4%
Dutch speaking partner
23%
Other
22%

Total votes : 442

Postby shokin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Hello everybody !

I learn dutch because :

- I like learning languages.
- Netherland is one country that I want to visit soon.
- For me, everyone has to adapt him/herself to the local culture, to get interested in it.
- The political systems in Scandinavia interest me.
- Speaking Dutch is necessary to get informed and to exchange with Netherlands.
- One of my friends comes from Netherland (but we don't have much time together).

Now I know only "dank u" "met de bus" "het center" :lol: .

EDIT : I forgot to say that I live in Switzerland and speak french, study in german, use english as transition language, speak spanish a bit.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Waardevol lid

Postby Fiona » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:33 pm

Shokin, tu parles en francais mais tu etudies en allemand? Est-ce que c'est deroutant?
Fiona
Lid

Country of residence: United Kingdom

Postby jiskabe » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:48 pm

I learn dutch because I live in Belgium with my husband who is a native of this country and also we have a 3yr old (born here) and at times I struggle to understand what the heck he's saying :). I've been taking a nederlands course for one year (begin 2nd year next week) but I have a major problem in the oral side of it and also the sentence structure so I'm looking for tips on here :).
jiskabe
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Belgium

Postby shokin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 pm

Fiona wrote:Shokin, tu parles en francais mais tu etudies en allemand? Est-ce que c'est deroutant?

Salut Fiona,

non, ça va, l'allemand me va, et il était au programme à l'école obligatoire (allemand, français, italien et romanche sont les langues officielles de la Suisse). Ce n'est pas trop déroutant, heureusement. Ce qui est déroutant, c'est le suisse-allemand, que nous n'avons pas écrit à l'école. Heureusement, j'ai pris mes dispositions pour afronter les dialectes suisso-germanophones.

And you, what languages do you speak ? english, dutch, french, and ... ?

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Waardevol lid

Postby EetSmakelijk » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:16 am

Hallo, everybody!
This is going to be a rather long post, so if you are busy or don't feel like reading, please skip it. :grin:
I have a bunch of Dutch friends on the internet! They all speak, or at least write, such amazing English.
I decided that since they knew my language, I could strengthen the friendships by learning some of theirs.
Also, I am totally blind, so my computer talks to me using electronic speech. I am quite hard of hearing, but I can still hear the computer.
Imagine a speech synthesizer, programmed to speak English, trying to pronounce Dutch!!! :laugh:
It is extremely funny, and this made me more interested in learning Nederlands. :grin:
I am so glad to be a nieuwkomer on this forum. :)
As for my username, the phrase eet smakelijk always makes me think of somebody smacking their lips over a good meal so it makes me :)
. lol
I speak English as my mothertongue, French as a second language learned in school although I have forgotten a lot of French. I also learned a bit of Latin and a tiny tiny tiny bit of German.
I love languages and find Dutch to be very interesting, difficult to pronounce, and hard to remember the grammar rules. lol
Thank you, Bieneke (hope I spelled your name right) for making this site.
I have a question; not sure what forum it should go in...
What does the description of the forum for practicing Dutch say? The only part I think I understood was "don't be afraid to make mistakes" or something like that. :grin:
Thanks again for making this site! It is fun to chat with people who like languages or need to learn Dutch.
At your next meal,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Van alles en nog wat

Postby Bieneke » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:49 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:What does the description of the forum for practicing Dutch say? The only part I think I understood was "don't be afraid to make mistakes" or something like that

It says: "This is a platform where you can communicate ('talk') in Dutch. About art or politics but also simply about the wheather or about yourself. Just do not be afraid to make mistakes!"

Cheryll, I think Koala and Sue are right. Learning a foreign language is hard for everyone. It takes time, effort, patience and it involves both happy moments (I got it right!) and frustration (...). I have experienced this myself (not with Dutch, obviously) and I am sure many people will recognize this. You would almost wonder why some people do it for fun :P.

Andrew, good luck with your Dutch but try not to get rid of that lovely kiwi twang! And Elliot, really nice of you to prefer Dutch over Spanish. :D

For the polyglots among us (e.g. Fiona, shokin): this is a Dutch grammar forum, lol.
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Marco » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:55 pm

I learn languages for fun because I like learning them and like seeing similarities. I discovered a Dutch 'd' often becomes an English 'th':

de --> the
doch --> though
dat --> that
dit --> this
deze --> these
die --> those
door --> through
drie --> three
dij --> thigh
dun --> thin
dik --> thick

etc.

For now I know:
Dutch and English very well
German and French well
Italian reasonably
Spanish some what
Portuguese, Polish, Irish ( :shock: ), Serbocroatian, Hungarian and Turkish a bit.
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Blind

Postby barbara » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:24 pm

That is just amazing, EetSmakelijk!

[I deleted my message and posted it here]

Barbara
Last edited by barbara on Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbara
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: United States

Postby EetSmakelijk » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Wow, Marco, that's a lot of languages! :o
If I knew that many languages, I would be writing or talking all day. lol
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Postby Marco » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:17 pm

It's not that much, really. I already said much it's just a couple of words and sentences I know of some languages, not that much really. :)

I do want to learn Serbian better, because if I ever meet Ana Ivanović I want to be able to say something to her in her mother tongue. 8)

For now I can tell / ask her this:

Zdravo, Ana, kako si?
Hello, Ana, how are you doing?

And then she'll (hoepfully) answer:

Dobro sam, hvala.
I'm fine, thank you.
Marco

Postby LaPingvino » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:51 pm

I'll also introduce myself.

I'm a Dutch 16-year old student who hated languages until he learned Esperanto. People say I can explain things well and this forum is very interesting, so I started to 'be here'.

---
Mi prezentu min:

Mi estas 16-jara Nederlanda studento kiu malamis lingvojn ĝis kiam li lernis Esperanton. Diriĝas ke mi bone povas klarigi aferojn kaj ĉi tiu forumo estas interesega, do mi komencis "esti ĉi tie".

---
Ik stel me even voor.

Ik ben een 16-jarige Nederlandse student die een hekel had aan talen totdat hij Esperanto leerde. Men zegt dat ik zaken goed kan uitleggen en dit forum is erg interesant, dus ik ben maar begonnen hier ook te wezen.
Ik ben een Nederlandse Esperantist, heb een aardig taalgevoel en kan vaak dingen goed uitleggen, hoewel ik natuurlijk ook niet perfect ben...
LaPingvino
Waardevol lid

Why Dutch?

Postby lulu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:25 pm

Hello Everyone, Goedenavond,

I was so happy to find this wonderful dutch grammar site, and the forum. Half a year ago I even did not think that one day I will study Nederlands, but as it always happens - c'est la vie !!!! My loved one is Dutch and the reason for learning this language is more than obvious. Today was my first lesson with a teacher, I feel so happy that I can tell my boyfriend tonight all the things I have learned. But now I must go, I need to prepare my homework ... Good luck to everyone, it is a wonderful experience.

Groetjes!
lulu
Nieuwkomer

Postby Bieneke » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:02 pm

Dag Lulu,

What a wonderful reason to learn Dutch. If you want to practice your Dutch, do visit the Nederlands Hoekje on this forum.

Good luck!
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Second language: English

Postby ink » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:49 am

Dag!

Ik ben Ian en ik kom uit Australië. I'm trying to learn Dutch because I desperately want to go back to the Netherlands next year to be with my boyfriend - though language is but one of the many issues at hand. Anyway, I love learning languages, I did French all through high school and university, and I've been working at my Dutch for a number of months now. I try and catch the Dutch radio program when I can, though it's really quite hard to understand. I will persevere though.

Thanks to Bieneke for running such a great website and I hope to post on the forum and improve my Dutch.
ink
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Mexico

Postby Marco » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:59 pm

Persevere... I used that word too once. Hehe! :lol:
Marco

PreviousNext

Return to Why Dutch?