Why Dutch?

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!

Why Dutch?

Just out of curiosity
20%
Settling in Holland / Belgium
12%
Work in Holland / Belgium
12%
Study in Holland / Belgium
7%
Preparing for the Inburgeringsexamen
1%
Dutch speaking parents
4%
Dutch speaking partner
23%
Other
22%

Total votes : 442

Postby Bieneke » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:42 am

Hi Ian,

Welcome on this forum! I hope this forum will help you with your Dutch studies.

Groetjes,
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Nathalie » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Hallo,

"Eet Smakelijk", you said it all :) I have made a number of Dutch pals in my online roleplaying games, and although we usually speak in English, I got curious about their language and I felt like I ought to learn a few words.

Little did I know where it would lead me ;) I studied German at school without success, while I had such a blast with English. It's the first time I'm getting the same feeling again! For some reason, Dutch really works for me.

I also really enjoy being able to draw from so many resources I didn't have at school or at the uni. I'm doing all my learning on the net at my own pace and will, including listening to radios, reading newspapers, browsing around Dutch websites and of course, studying the language courses available online.

I'm sure everybody said it before, but Dutchgrammar.com is a wonderful site. When I started English at the uni and went to my first grammar class, I thought "omigod, grammar again..." (always hated grammar in whatever language). Two weeks later I was more like "Why didn't they explain it to me that way before??". A lot suddenly made sense. Your site feels exactly the same to me. It makes sense, and it says something that I spent a whole Sunday studying Dutch grammar ;)

Anyways... after a full month of studying several hours a week, I'm pretty sure I'm in for the long run. I'm glad I found this place - not all my Dutch pals are willing to bear with my beginner's attempts, LOL

And it's great to find like minded people :)

Groetjes,

Nathalie
Nathalie
Vertaler (translator)

Country of residence: France

Postby EetSmakelijk » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:54 am

Bonjour, hallo, Nathalie!
Wow, sounds like we both love languages!
I was exactly the same, got curious about Dutch because of my friends, but now I think het Nederlands is so beautiful. It feels like a brother language to English.
I studied French in school for about ten years. My French is not as good as your English. :)
I also love grammar. It's hard to explain why things like demonstrative pronouns make me interested. lol
My Dutch friends are pretty cool about my beginner's attempts. I thank them for that, if they hadn't thought I was cute I wouldn't have fallen in love with their language. :grin:
Nice to meet you, Nathalie.
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Postby Marco » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:11 pm

EetSmakelijk wrote:Bonjour, hallo, Nathalie!
I was exactly the same, got curious about Dutch because of my friends, but now I think het Nederlands is so beautiful. It feels like a brother language to English.

Hallo Nathalie en EetSmakelijk!
How nice to hear you have a passion for languages as well!

To refer to the phrase quoted here,
Dutch actually is related to English, it's the closest related language to English after Frisian. This might sound weird, but remember that the English language has gone through a lot of changes because of foreign influences, French has played an important role in this when king William beat king Harold at the battle of Hastings in 1066. That's why English has relatively many 'foreign' words, French was namely the spoken language by the 'high society' while the hard working class had their English but at some point the two languages got mixed up and a new English language formed. (Yes, I paid attention during English last year! :P )
Anyway, what I like to say is that English is closely related to Dutch and the best way to detect this is to look at older English, for example the old English words for 'have thrown' and 'ten', followed by the current Dutch words for them:

have thrown: worpen, geworpen
ten: tien, tien

Sorry for this boring lesson. :lol:
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Postby EetSmakelijk » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:04 pm

No, Marco, definitely not boring! Dank je wel for explaining it so well! I wanted to give that lesson myself but was too tired to try and do that yesterday and I don't know as many Dutch words as you do. :razz:
Marco, I am very pleased that you pay attention in school since so many others do not. :)
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Nathalie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:32 pm

Bonsoir / Good evening / Goedenavond :)

Thanks for the explanation, Marco. The English and French people have quite a bit of history indeed, lol... And Dutch is kind of tantalizing, since so much seems familiar compared to English and German :) Sometimes it helps, sometimes it gets in the way. I think I'm trying to learn too much at once, he he. Maybe someone else here has this problem? If only my memory would follow... LOL

EetSmakelijk, you remind me of a friend studying linguistics. I think she was actually doing a thesis on demonstrative pronouns, I don't find this odd at all, lol. I hope some day I can speak Dutch at the same level I speak English but it took me a long time and it's still not perfect! I'm happy to be in such good company :)

Groetjes,

Nathalie
Nathalie
Vertaler (translator)

Postby EetSmakelijk » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:48 pm

Goedenavond, bon soir, good evening,
Wow, a thesis on demonstrative pronouns? Wow, that would be kind of cool. Yes, I am a bit strange. :)
Yes, I think I understand what you mean about trying to learn too much at once. Knowledge is so juicy you just want to eat it all at once. :wink:
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Postby Marco » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:49 pm

Thanks for liking my lesson! :)

I have a question, so I'll just post it here.

'thou mayst', is that singular or plural? :)
Marco

why do I learn Dutch

Postby moon_flower » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:47 pm

Hello to the members of the forum!

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Aigul. I came from Kazakhstan to join my partner, now husband in the Netherlands. I like learning languages, I studied French some time ago but did not practice it much, trying to refresh it now and then. I like reading, jazz, folk music, sports like basketball, tennis, shooting, hiking.
I have been studying Dutch for one year, will have to do exams for level 4 in November, which is quite soon, so trying to get myself ready for it.

Bieneke, I like your site very much, thanks for doing it. I find it very useful, especially at the beginning when I could not read in Dutch, your site was one of the frequent places I would go to check some grammar issues.

Great job!

Aigul.
moon_flower
Lid

Postby Bieneke » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:48 pm

Hallo Aigul,

Welcom to this forum. If you need any help preparing for your exams, you know where to find us!

Groetjes,
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Postby Nathalie » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:02 am

Marco,

I often use a great learning tool on the web, wikipedia. Lo and behold, it had your answer :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou

Met vriendilijke groetjes,

Nathalie

Marco wrote:Thanks for liking my lesson! :)

I have a question, so I'll just post it here.

'thou mayst', is that singular or plural? :)
Nathalie
Vertaler (translator)

Postby Marco » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:06 pm

Dankjewel Nathalie! :)

And it's 'vriendelijke' :wink:
Marco

Its been said that Dutch is German wannabe English ^-^

Postby finnsterfran » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:54 am

Greetings and Salutations!
First of all, I love this site, grammar confusion and puzzles just unfold here! (could there be light at the end of the tunnel after all?? :D)
Anyway, here's a little about me :
I've been dating my Dutch boyfriend for 3 and a half years now. Recently we set up our new home in Enschede. (although I'm back in Singapore for a short visit)
Most people in Holland speak english so I only started learning how to speak Dutch in the middle of this year, and it hasn't been easy.
I'm sure I've made a few hundred people chuckle (or perhaps cry?)as I read aloud to my bf during trainrides. Its sometimes hard to tell the difference between my pronounciation and my bf's, although he corrects me with stuff like "Uit, not uit" and i repeat "Uit" which sounds like his "Uit" but he doesn't quite think so :D Or words like Vis, I seem to (so the people around me say) pronounce it with an english H behind.
Often I tell myself that I should just try to say "dank u wel" or "goedemorgen" or even "tot ziens" just to build up my courage, but when the opportunity is at hand to do so, I clamp up and go into auto English mode.
There has been a slight improvement recently, I'd even managed to mutter to a visitor "Wil je iets drinken" :D
I dont harbour hopes of saving the world or discovering a new plant, being able to hold a short conversation in Dutch would be acchievement enough for me :)
And to answer the question in the topic, Why Dutch? If you can't speak the language of a place where you'd call home, then that would be cheating yourself of truly being at home.
finnsterfran
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Singapore

Postby Bieneke » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:56 pm

finnsterfran wrote:Its been said that Dutch is German wannabe English ^-^

Living less than 20K from the German border, you should be able to tell. :D I love the way the people in Enschede pronounce Dutch vowels. Where many Dutch swallow half of their vowels, in Enschede the oo (as in English nose) is really an oo. If your boyfriend is from Enschede and he tells you your ui is really not an ui, just listen to him and you will end up pronouncing the prettiest ui possible (in my humble opinion).

I dont harbour hopes of saving the world or discovering a new plant, being able to hold a short conversation in Dutch would be acchievement enough for me

Hear, hear 8).
When you feel up to it, come and visit the Beginnershoekje to practice that short conversation.

Veel Succes.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:11 am

I was lured in by the looks of written Dutch. No other reasons.

PreviousNext

Return to Why Dutch?