Why Dutch?

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!

Why Dutch?

Just out of curiosity
20%
Settling in Holland / Belgium
12%
Work in Holland / Belgium
11%
Study in Holland / Belgium
7%
Preparing for the Inburgeringsexamen
1%
Dutch speaking parents
4%
Dutch speaking partner
22%
Other
22%

Total votes: 468

meerdanzeventien
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Re: Why Dutch?

Post by meerdanzeventien » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Gules wrote:
Hallo Jane!

I admire your desire to learn more about the Dutch language. I think it would be wonderful to surprise your boyfriend by learning some aspects and semantics of the language. Best wishes through your studies. If you would like some help with the basics, then I'd love to help the best I can!

Hartelijk Groetjes,

Gules
Goedemorgen, Gules! That would be fantastisch if you could. It's nice to know that there are supportive people out there, especially to newcomers of a language - as it's quite nerve-racking to attempt to do so!

Dankuwel,

Jane :)

Ginny
Nieuwkomer
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russian

Post by Ginny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Groetjes uit Bristol! Mijn naam is Ginny en ik heb vroeger in de bloembollenfabrieken in Lisse en Hillegom gewerkt, maar ik heb nooit geprobeerd, nederlands goed te leeren. Dat wil ik nu doen. Dank u voor de website! :)

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Post by BrutallyFrank » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Ginny wrote:Groetjes uit Bristol! Mijn naam is Ginny en ik heb vroeger in de bloembollenfabrieken in Lisse en Hillegom gewerkt, maar ik heb nooit geprobeerd om goed nederlands goed te leren. Dat wil ik nu doen. Dank u voor de website! :)
Hallo Ginny! Volgens mij heb je al een heleboel geleerd, want dit is vrijwel foutloos ... succes en plezier met het leren!
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

Ginny
Nieuwkomer
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russian

Post by Ginny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Dank je wel, Frank! Dat find ik zeer bemoedigend.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 pm

BrutallyFrank wrote:
Ginny wrote:Groetjes uit Bristol! Mijn naam is Ginny en ik heb vroeger in de bloembollenfabrieken in Lisse en Hillegom gewerkt, maar ik heb nooit geprobeerd om goed Nederlands goed te leren. Dat wil ik nu doen. Dank u voor de website! :)
Hallo Ginny! Volgens mij heb je al een heleboel geleerd, want dit is vrijwel foutloos ... succes en plezier met het leren!
Ginny wrote:Dank je wel, Frank! Dat vind ik zeer bemoedigend.
Ja, ik ga akkoord met wat Frank heeft geschreven. Veel succes.

Jodi
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: French
Third language: English
Fourth language: English

Post by Jodi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:20 pm

I happened to fall in love with a Dutch guy :)

mister
Lid
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English (Australia)

Post by mister » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:06 am

Why dutch? Interesting question. It's the same question I have been asked by every Dutch person I've asked to help me.

Ok...my mother was born in Nijmegen. Dad not... maar... he learned to speak, read and write it once he started dating. English was his second language, Dutch his 3rd. Got to the point, mum would write letters to her relatives and dad would correct spelling and grammar.

They decided they'd teach me Dutch when I was 10. They got as far "I love you" a few household items like chair and table, counting to 30 and that was it. They just stopped as dad began learning German.

I did 6 months of German at university - pre Internet days. When I asked my father for help on an assignment he just gave me his old German-English dictionary and walked off.

Now, closing in on 50 I've decided it's time.

I've had a dickens of a time finding someone to help me with questions. The local Dutch club has been of no help whatsoever. And noone in the Brisbane or Gold Coast region teaches it. Thankfully I found a lovely backpacker to help me. She gives me homework which compliments my self-designed learning system, and corrects my translation errors and points me in the right direction.

Anyway. Why Dutch? Because I'm half Dutch...

anderbaiter
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Indonesian

Post by anderbaiter » Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Waarom? Omdat ik Indonesisch ben.. Ik spreek Indonesisch, en de taal heeft veel Nederlandse woorden..

Anyway, i'll switch to Engels want mijn Nederlands is nog niet goed genoeg.

At first, some years ago, i kinda found myself puzzled with why in my language there are sometimes more than one word to address a same thing. Stupid me, of course they are borrowed from other languages. One of them is Dutch. More than 300 years had we been colonized by the infamous VOC, of course many Dutch words stayed. Or exchanged to be exact, i just found out there are also Dutch words which originally are from Indonesian.

So yeah, thanks to my curiosity, i've been learning Dutch for more than a year. But i'm still nowhere near fluency, hence here I am.. trying to learn something..

Thanks for the website and the forum! I appreciate it very much!

ngonyama
Superlid
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sun May 24, 2015 1:46 am

Selamat datang!

anderbaiter
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Indonesian

Post by anderbaiter » Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 pm

ngonyama wrote:Selamat datang!
:o terima kasih.

Wat een verrassing dat iemand hier Indonesisch spreekt. :-D

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Mon May 25, 2015 12:33 am

anderbaiter wrote:
ngonyama wrote:Selamat datang!
:o terima kasih.

Wat een verrassing dat iemand hier Indonesisch spreekt. :-D
Nee, hoor... Veel meer dan nasi en bami weet ik echt niet. :D

patches
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by patches » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:03 am

Hallo! Ik heet Lena. Ik ben Nederlands aan het leren zodat ik kan in met mijn vriend verhuizen. We willen me in een paar jaren Nederlandse burgerschap krijgen.

Ik ben groen aan Nederlands spreken, zo ik ben nog een woordenboek aan het gebruiken. Aangenaam!

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

patches wrote:Hallo! Ik heet Lena. Ik ben Nederlands aan het leren zodat ik kan in metmet, naar? what do you mean? mijn vriend kan verhuizen. We willen mevoor mij in een paar jarenjaar het Nederlandse staatsburgerschap verkrijgen.

Ik ben groen I hope not: it usually means you are seasick... aan Nederlands spreken Nederlands spreken is nieuw voor mij, zodus ik ben ik nog een woordenboek aan het gebruiken. Aangenaam!

Well, first of all: hartelijk welkom hier!

I took the liberty to correct what you wrote. It is one way you can improve your (written) Dutch here.

The red codes mean that there is something wrong with the word order, which is a really tough thing to learn (Don't worry about it too much at first). Blue are other corrections.

Other colors usually mean that i can't quite figure out what you mean, or that I had to rephrase the whole sentence or that I have some other remark to make

patches
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by patches » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:49 am

Dank u wel!

Hehe, no, I'm not seasick. :) Yeah, the word order is hard, but I'm learning! I just recently read something on the forums that explained why subject verb is switched to verb subject when words are placed before the subject, so I'm already understanding why you corrected 'ik ben' to 'ben ik'.

Ik ben Nederlands aan het leren zodat voor langer dan 3 maanden kan ik bij mijn vriend logeren. (I am learning Dutch so that I can stay with my boyfriend for longer than 3 months?)

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:43 am

patches wrote:Dank u wel!

Hehe, no, I'm not seasick. :) Yeah, the word order is hard, but I'm learning! I just recently read something on the forums that explained why subject verb is switched to verb subject when words are placed before the subject, so I'm already understanding why you corrected 'ik ben' to 'ben ik'. Excellent, it is called "inversion".

Ik ben Nederlands aan het leren zodat ik voor langer dan 3 maanden kan ik bij mijn vriend kan logeren. (I am learning Dutch so that I can stay with my boyfriend for longer than 3 months?)
After most conjunctions like "zodat", "omdat" etc. all the verbs -including the "kan" part- end up at the end of the dependent phrase. That is a different word order principle than the inversion you mentioned. It is probably a good idea to first just observe where things end up and start to identify patterns. You've got two of them now. :mrgreen: