Why Dutch?

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!

Why Dutch?

Just out of curiosity
20%
Settling in Holland / Belgium
12%
Work in Holland / Belgium
11%
Study in Holland / Belgium
7%
Preparing for the Inburgeringsexamen
1%
Dutch speaking parents
4%
Dutch speaking partner
22%
Other
22%

Total votes: 469

Cgull
Lid
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English

Re: Why Dutch?

Post by Cgull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am

Hi, I'm Claire :-D
My grandmother is Dutch and I have relatives in the Netherlands. I homeschool my children, so we chose Dutch as our foreign language. (This was in some ways a mistake. There are few if any pre-made Dutch learning resources appropriate for children so I have to make it all up myself. And postage for, eg, children's books to Australia is expensive.)

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Are these YouTube videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzfdN_7KLSc any help to you? There are quite a few of them. They may be a little childish for older children, but they do teach language.

Vulcan
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Third language: French

Post by Vulcan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:10 am

Why Dutch? I was born in the netherlands but immigrated to Canada when I was 3 1/2. So y Dutch isn't amazing but enough to get by. But I still want to learn and get better. And I know it seems childish especially because I'm 13 , but I want to join the dutch army (army not navy or airforce, army). Go through the KMA (or dutch military college/university) and then take the "officers training" (korte oficiers opleiding). Like I said t might seem far fetched but my entire family lives in the Netherlands. So yeah.

Edit: I'm a dual citizen ( I have a Dutch and a Canadian Passport)

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 pm

Vulcan wrote:Why Dutch? I was born in the netherlands but immigrated to Canada when I was 3 1/2. So y Dutch isn't amazing but enough to get by. But I still want to learn and get better. And I know it seems childish especially because I'm 13 , but I want to join the dutch army (army not navy or airforce, army). Go through the KMA (or dutch military college/university) and then take the "officers training" (korte oficiers opleiding). Like I said t might seem far fetched but my entire family lives in the Netherlands. So yeah.

Edit: I'm a dual citizen ( I have a Dutch and a Canadian Passport)
Well, welcome here. There is a lot of useful info and you can also practice your Dutch until it is amazing enough :D

estarling
Superlid
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian

Post by estarling » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Ik denk dat het tijd is om mezelf voor te stellen.
Ik ben Emilian. Ik ben een zeevarende.
Als zeeman werk ik soms met Nederlanders samen.
Ik houd ervan Nederlandse maritime boeken en tijdschriften te bestuderen.
Mischien later, zal ik ook 'De Vliegende Hollander' in het origineel lezen.
Last edited by estarling on Sat May 07, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***** De onderlijning van fouten en de kritiek over deze tekst zijn welkom.

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:20 am

estarling wrote:Ik denk dat het is tijd is om mezelf te voor te stellen.
Ik ben Emilian. Ik ben een zeevarende.
Als zeeman soms ik met Nederlanders samen werk. -Als zeeman werk ik soms met Nederlander samen
Ik houd ervan Nederlandse maritime boeken en tijdschriften te bestuderen.
Mischien later, zal ik ook 'De Vliegende Hollander' in het origineel lezen.

Welkom Emilian. Ik hoop niet dat je het erg vind als ik wat verbeteringen aanbreng?

Je kunt in het Nederlands niet het voegwoord "dat" weglaten zoals dat in het Engels en het Duits wel kan.

estarling
Superlid
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian

Post by estarling » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:57 am

Dank u wel ngonyama! Ik find uw hulp nuttig.
***** De onderlijning van fouten en de kritiek over deze tekst zijn welkom.

cœurdeville
Nieuwkomer
Second language: French
Fourth language: Portuguese
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Dutch, Spanish, Polish, Italian

Post by cœurdeville » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:47 am

For me, I chose to learn Dutch because I love learning languages. And because once you learn your first two or three languages all the others connect and you realise how easy it is. I could sit for hours just learning Dutch because I find it so interesting especially when I can point our the similarities between it and other languages like German etc. So far from what I've learned in a few weeks I've been able to have pretty decent conversation and I've also learnt some really funny things like Ik hou van jou met heel mijn kont ook met mijn hart maar mijn kont is groter which I find online. Anyway, that's my Dutch experience so far, and I can't wait to keep learning more and more! :)

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:26 am

cœurdeville wrote:For me, I chose to learn Dutch because I love learning languages. And because once you learn your first two or three languages all the others connect and you realise how easy it is. I could sit for hours just learning Dutch because I find it so interesting especially when I can point our the similarities between it and other languages like German etc. So far from what I've learned in a few weeks I've been able to have pretty decent conversation and I've also learnt some really funny things like Ik hou van jou met heel mijn kont ook met mijn hart maar mijn kont is groter [-X [-X tsktsk which I find online. Anyway, that's my Dutch experience so far, and I can't wait to keep learning more and more! :)

Welcome here! I hope you have a lot of fun!

brucenator
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by brucenator » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 am

ngonyama wrote:Are these YouTube videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzfdN_7KLSc any help to you?
Fantastisch!

Redeker
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Russian
Fourth language: Swedish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: French, Dutch

Post by Redeker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:26 am

I speak fluent German so I thought, why shouldn´t I give Dutch a try? It shouldn't be hard and a new language wouldn't hurt, I will learn it fast and speak another language, I thought. Turned out to be exactly as I expected it. I bought a book for Dutch, finished it in 11 days (not forgetting to check it in the internet), and now it's just mostly about learning words and practicing.

katiekate
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands

Post by katiekate » Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 am

First of all i came here for work! Second of all i love it here and i wnt to stay in Holland! Dutch people are the nicest ones i know in Europe i have a lot of friends here so that makes me want to learn so i can understand them..ive been here for a month and i learn on my own. And yes i don't want to work in a factory and live in the agency house for years. Who knows maybe i'll find love in here also.

audreyhtx1
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Spanish

Post by audreyhtx1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm

My husband and I travel from the US to Amsterdam every year to visit my brother and his family who live there. My young nephews are speaking more and more Dutch now that they are going to school. We hope for a long visit this year, so I decided to start learning Dutch. A major motivation was my frustration with having no clue as to how to pronounce Dutch words. That issue was quickly solved, thank goodness! But once I started, I kept going, and have really enjoyed myself. At least now I can speak basic phrases. I don't think I can understand much spoken Dutch past the general greetings and small talk, however. And upon reading Dutch I find that my vocabulary is still very limited.

Currently I am using Dutch DuoLingo and various lessons available at learndutch.org including 1000 most common Dutch words and Basic Dutch Grammar. And I found this site (Dutch Grammar) because I am scratching my head over all the te + infinitive forms!

Oh, and we love Amsterdam. What a beautiful city!

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands

Post by BrutallyFrank » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 am

Welcome Audrey,

Enjoy your stay here. And go to Maastricht if you can .... way more beautiful than Amsterdam!
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

Out of Touch
Lid
Second language: Dutch

Post by Out of Touch » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Ik heb mezelf Nederlands geleerd om mijn vriendin te verrassen. Zij is nu weg, maar ik oefen nog steeds elke dag.
Ik ben je schild. Ik ben je zwaard.