Greetings from Finland!

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
lupinesse
Lid
Country of residence: Finland
Mother tongue: Finnish
Second language: English
Third language: Swedish
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Greetings from Finland!

Post by lupinesse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Hoi,

ik ben Jenni en ik woon in Helsinki - that's pretty much the basic introduction I can so far say in Dutch, but I'm trying! :) So far I can read Dutch pretty well (like newspapers and such) but producing the text myself is still 'under construction'.

I guess I ended up learning Dutch by happy accidents - met a guy while playing World of Warcraft in 2006 who is Dutch, so decided to learn couple of sentences just to impress him. This year in August I met an another Dutch guy in Helsinki, who I instantly fell for. Came to meet him to Amsterdam in September, things didn't work out romantically but we're still close friends. Loved every day of my journey, and fell hopelessly in love with the Dutch people, culture and language. People here in Finland seem so cold and distant now :)

I'm hoping to come and work in Amsterdam / Utrecht area for the summer of 2010, so I better learn more Dutch until then :)

Nice to meet you all!

Groetjes,

Jenni
De zwarte olifant is in mijn tuin!