Hello... I am scared!!

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
Christiana
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: German

Hello... I am scared!!

Post by Christiana » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 am

Hello all!

I am getting married to a Dutch man next spring, and am moving over to the Netherlands next summer. I have a son, who will be going to an international school, so will be learning Dutch there, but I am hoping that both myself, and him, can learn a bit before we move over there.

With regards to learning Dutch, I am finding it very hard and do not know where to start. I have done a few online courses, but they do not go anywhere. The speaking I find the most difficult! I am semi fluent in German as I was brought up over there when my parents were in the RAF, and often get the 2 languages confused.

With regards moving over there... I am TERRIFIED! lol I realise most Dutch people speak English (they have done when I have visited) but I want to speak Dutch to them, and am scared that they will not like me for being English (I have heard horror stories) also getting a job etc... scary stuff! Also, apart from my fiance and his family... I know nobody lol

Anyway, nice to meet you all, would be lovely to speak to any Dutch people or people learning.

Thank you for reading.

Christiana

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Hello... I am scared!!

Post by ngonyama » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 am

Being scared does not help... Learning to speak a language actually takes quite a bit of courage: the courage to make mistakes, to sound silly, to sound like a child again. Some people accept that more from you than others, but you'll always find somebody patient enough to put up with your limitations, at least for a while. I know: I had to learn English, a language I now speak on a daily basis. (And a few others too).

Language comes bit by bit: it is a long additive process, so keep chipping away at it. Every word is another word. Every sentence another sentence. Every situation offers its own advantages and limitations. As long as you still live in an English speaking environment speaking and listening will not progress much although things like recordings and video's can be helpful. People also get in contact with each other by Skype e.g. to talk. But once you are in Holland you will feel what immersion can do. Sit at a table with Dutch people talking the language at full speed will give you a headache, because your brain is processing all the new sounds and concepts like mad.

On this website you don't have that, but you do have the opportunity to start practicing some written Dutch. Written language is different from the spoken variety, but the two are complementary. Having some written Dutch is a basis for sitting at that table. It is like a resource that needs to be activated still.

Just write a couple of lines in the best Dutch you can muster. What you did today or what the weather is like, it does not matter. People here will gladly correct and explain. Just get started. There is quite a bit of info here about the grammar. Chew on it bit by bit and try to form a few sentences.

Shazzy
Superlid
Second language: Dutch

Post by Shazzy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Christina

I only spoke a limited amout of dutch up to 3 years ago. I then did a correspondence course with The Dutch language school in Oxford and it was a fantastic course. After 3 years (this year) I took my GCSE and came out with excellent grades. Even better than I thought I could do. I also have a teacher who lives in holland who teachers via skype she is fantastic and really helps you expecially if you are scared. If you want to email me, skype me and just be in touch to pracice your Dutch just private mesage me. I am far from perfect but I am happy to help. I am sure your future husband will help and support you too. It does cost money to do the courses I have done but are well worth it I can tell you. I have met friends on here and texting them on a daily basis now in Dutch and also short emails. They guys on here really are fantastic and really do help you. They have helped me so much. I am now doing an NT2 course with an institute in Leiden.

Shazzy :D

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Shazzy wrote:Hi Christina

I only spoke a limited amout of dutch up to 3 years ago. I then did a correspondence course with The Dutch language school in Oxford and it was a fantastic course. After 3 years (this year) I took my GCSE and came out with excellent grades. Even better than I thought I could do. I also have a teacher who lives in holland who teachers via skype she is fantastic and really helps you expecially if you are scared. If you want to email me, skype me and just be in touch to pracice your Dutch just private mesage me. I am far from perfect but I am happy to help. I am sure your future husband will help and support you too. It does cost money to do the courses I have done but are well worth it I can tell you. I have met friends on here and texting them on a daily basis now in Dutch and also short emails. They guys on here really are fantastic and really do help you. They have helped me so much. I am now doing an NT2 course with an institute in Leiden.

Shazzy :D
...cantputinredcantputinred!$#@#$!! :twisted:

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Hoi Ngonyama

Ik denk je heb me op het forum gemissed? :D Ik heb op vakantie geweest.
Nu moest ik veel Nederlands te doen.

Shazzy x

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 am

Shazzy wrote:Hoi Ngonyama

Ik denk je heb me op het forum gemissed? :D Ik heb op vakantie geweest.
Nu moest ik veel Nederlands te doen.

Shazzy x
Ik dacht al zoiets. Leuk je weer te zien, Shazzy. Schrijf maar weer eens wat.

Christiana
Nieuwkomer
Second language: German

Post by Christiana » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Dankjewel :P

I will start trying. Its strange, my reading and writing is very good but when I try saying something my future hubby never understands and I get so embarrased so going to have to muster up that confidence!

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Will your husband not practice with you? Like I said before I have an excellent teacher for speaking who lives in Grongingen but teaches me over skype. She really builds up your confiderence. Why not check her site out. www.sayitindutch.nl She really is fantastic. I would be happy to help you get started if you want.

Shazzy

Vilmos
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Third language: Afrikaans
Fourth language: German

Post by Vilmos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Shazzy wrote:Will your husband not practice with you? Like I said before I have an excellent teacher for speaking who lives in Grongingen Groningen but teaches me over skype. She really builds up your confiderence. Why not check her site out. http://www.sayitindutch.nl She really is fantastic. I would be happy to help you get started if you want.

Shazzy
Opletten. :)

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Bedankt Vimos

I always get the speliing wrong :-(

Shazzy

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 am

Speliing, huh? Tsk [-X

You do know that speling is not the same as spelling, right?

But the Groningen part, well, they say Grönnen anyway. :wink:

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hoi Ngonyama

LOl volgende jaar ga ik naar Groningen :D Ik hoop

Op dinsdag avond was ik op skype met een vriendin dat ik van dit forum ontmoete. Ik praat met Loi voor een uur of zo in het Nederlands :D Het was erg leuk om in Nederlands te praten. Goed oefenen voor mij.

Shazzy

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 am

Shazzy wrote:Hoi Ngonyama

LOl volgendevolgend jaar ga ik naar Groningen :D Ik hoop hoop ik.

Op dinsdagavond was ik op skype met een vriendin datdie ik van dit forum ontmoetekende. Ik hebpraat met Loi voorwel een uur lang of zo in het Nederlands gepraat :D Het was erg leuk om in Nederlands te praten. Een Goedgoede oefenening voor mij.

Shazzy
Dat is het zeker. Ik hoop dat je veel plezier hebt in Groningen. Ooit heb ik er gewoond en gestudeerd. Het was altijd een erg leuke stad.

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Hoi Ngonyama

Bedankt.

Ja ik hoop dat ik mijn docent Yorien te ontmoeten kunnen. Ze woont in Groningen. I heb familie ook in Nederland meestal in Zutphen en Rotterdam en een goede vriendin in Amsterdam en vlaardingen. Maar nu heb ik andere vriendinnen die ik van dit forum kende in andere steden van Nederland. :D

Shazzy