Beginner with questions

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
Nugget
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

Beginner with questions

Post by Nugget » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello all,

My name is Clint aka Nugget and I want to learn Dutch.

I have been searching online for a method to start learning Dutch and figured I would ask this board for some advice. The reason I want to learn Dutch is because a very good friend of mine speaks Dutch (she was born there and her father still lives there). I'm hoping that we become more down the road and have talked about moving to Holland. I would love to surprise her by learning the language and be able to converse fluently with her in her native tongue. My questions are as follows:

1) Are there any classes that are worth attending/paying for in the Georgia (USA) area (or online)?
2) Is there a preferred method that people enjoy/recommend?
3) Should I start learning the grammar immediately or focus on understanding/speaking the language first?

I am very motivated to learn this language. I don't feel scared as my profession has me working with foreign languages (specifically Spanish and Portuguese) daily and I have been able to pick up words, sentences, etc. rather quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I thank you for your time!

Thanks,
Clint

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Beginner with questions

Post by ngonyama » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 am

Hi Nugget

Welcome and good luck with your efforts to learn our language. I'm a bit too far away for you (Raleigh) and I also do not know the answers to all of your questions. I just would like to say that learning a language is not so much a matter of either-or. Either grammar or vocabulary e.g. It is more and-and. It is also a matter of your (preferred) way of learning. Everybody does that their own way (wrong, my grandpa would add). It also depends on the opportunities available at a given moment. It makes big difference if you are in Atlanta or in Amsterdam. The latter obviously gives you native speakers galore. On line, practising written language is easier than the spoken kind. I'd say: make the best of your particular situation. Work with what you have got.