need to learn job-specific vocabulary. please help?

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
shadowcat
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)

need to learn job-specific vocabulary. please help?

Post by shadowcat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 pm

hi everyone! I am moving to the Netherlands later this year and i am a welder. I am going to live with my fiance, and i want to find a job there as a welder. I have recently begun to grasp most of the dutch grammar structure, taken online courses, and doing rosetta stone ect. So far with my learning process however, i cannot find where i can learn vocabulary to talk about welding in dutch. Its probably one of the most important practical aspects of my learning that i don't know how to get to yet, i mean i know only a couple tool names and terms for measurement, steeksleutel, tang, ect but thats about it. Maybe theres some dutch-speaking welders who could help me expand my vocabulary? :).
also, i work wierd shift hours, and have trouble finding the time to be able to study lately. I also find that i can read and write in dutch very well, and understand what i read and hear well, but when i form my own sentances it is more difficult to recall off by heart. Quite frustrating sometimes xD. Any remedy for this?
Thanks.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: need to learn job-specific vocabulary. please help?

Post by ngonyama » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I know nothing about welding and so I cannot help you with a jargon, but one way I would use to find out is to go to a wikipedia page like http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassen It has lots of typical welding jargon, including on subpages. You can often use the link to Engels on the left to find the corresponding page in English. This should give you at least an idea. For example if you click on the link to "kouddruklassen" and then on the link to en.wiki you can see that this is called "cold welding" in English.