As people say, new language is a new world

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
laleksandrovych
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Ukraine
Mother tongue: Ukrainian
Second language: Russian
Third language: English

As people say, new language is a new world

Post by laleksandrovych » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello all.
I'm Lyudmyla from Ukraine. And, as you all here, I also decided to learn Dutch.
I have a friend from the Netherlands and sometimes I would like to speak Dutch with him.
Of course, he speaks English and we understand each other perfectly, but speaking one more language seems to open new world.

One more reason of my will is that at some moment I understood that I knew too few languages. So now I'm trying to get acquainted with Dutch.
Probably I want too much in a too short time, but having spent 4 months on learning the language I still can not talk and I'm a bit upset with that.

What I did for now, I read the basis of Dutch grammar and sentence building books, learnt some amount of words (there are about 2000 of them in
my personal vocabulary, but of course I can not use all them still). Currently I'm reading fairy tales about Jip en Janneke :) trying to remember new words
and sentence building constructions.

Also I'm trying to listen to audio version of these fairy tales and 'radio een' to recognize oral Dutch, but it doesn't work at all.
So, understanding of written text on this level is OK but understanding of speech is low.

Nevertheless I will keep trying. And hope on your help sometimes :) Thanks!

Vilmos
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: Afrikaans
Fourth language: German

Re: As people say, new language is a new world

Post by Vilmos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:51 am

Heel veel succes met Nederlands leren, Ljoedmila.

Ik gebruik de Nederlandse transliteratie van je Oekraïense naam (als je het tenminste als Людмила spelt).

laleksandrovych
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Ukraine
Mother tongue: Ukrainian
Second language: Russian
Third language: English

Re: As people say, new language is a new world

Post by laleksandrovych » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Dankjewel, Vilmos!