Welder going to holland soon.

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
shadowcat
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Welder going to holland soon.

Post by shadowcat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:38 am

I am engaged to someone living in holland, and i am a welder. I am having trouble finding out how much work for welders there is. is there much? i also hear from my fiance in certain jobs people get paid based on their age ie: minors get less, and they tend to hire younger people if possible because it is cheaper. is it the same for welding or any trades person, or does this age based pay scale only apply to some jobs? would it mean as i get older, that i would have trouble finding work? thanks.

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Welder going to holland soon.

Post by Quetzal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Interesting question. Welder is "lasser", a random internet search on "vacature" (= vacancy, job opening) and "lasser" seems to yield plenty, but of course the question is also where in the country you'd be living.

I don't think in the case of welders there would really be a formalized system with automatic higher pay for older workers, but of course if you have longer experience you'd get a higher wage... I'm not sure how old you are, but I would think in most cases it's not until you're in your fifties that you might find employers noticeably less interested in hiring you for that reason.