Terug :)

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
Marco
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Terug :)

Post by Marco » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Hoi allemaal,

For what seems like a lifetime ago, I used to be one of the regular members here, although at one point I seemingly lost my interest. However, lately I've been active again in teaching people Dutch and it seems to have triggered in me some sense of sharing. Thus, I am back ('terug' means back). Please don't expect me to be here often - I won't be here on a daily basis - yet if I find the interest and/or motivation, I might peek around in the 'Nederlandstalig Hoekje' subforum.

As for me... Marco, an almost 27-year-old guy from Tolkamer, The Netherlands, in a house some 400 metres off the German border. I live together with my partner, who has Turkish roots. As a result, I tend to speak Turkish at home quite often. I work in Doetinchem, the biggest town in a region called 'De Achterhoek' (The Back Corner), as a teacher of English. I mainly teach students of the vwo-level (pre-University), who can choose between 'regular' vwo and 'tto' or bilingual education. Especially the bilingual aspect of my job motivates me a lot; in the last three years, our students take part in the IB course, meaning I get to read the most amazing novels. Just this holiday I finished reading Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale'. What a fabulous story!

My own interests include verifying supercentenarians (people aged 110+), writing stories, and learning languages. As for the first, I am actually a volunteer for an organisation known as the GRG (Gerontology Research Group). Not only am I a correspondent for The Netherlands (verifying Dutch people aged 110+), I am also Assistant Administrator, meaning I keep track of all applications coming in. My other volunteer job has to do with my sexual preference. All pupils in the Netherlands have to be taught about sexual diversity, thus including homosexuality. As I am gay myself, I go around the region visiting secondary schools exchanging my experiences about being gay (both the advantages and the disadvantages, though I have yet to experience a downside to being homosexual). For me, the way in which students react to our personal stories can be compelling - they are genuinely interested and wish us the best. What more could we wish for? :)

As my introduction has become rather long-winding right now, let me finish by saying 'hallo, iedereen!' :)
Overduidelijk misschien.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Terug :)

Post by ngonyama » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Welkom terug.

Crecker
Superlid
Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian

Post by Crecker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:28 pm

Hallo, Marco! :)

I haven't had the chance to know you yet. Some of the members of this forum have known me for quite a long time now and I hope to get to know you too in the "Nederlandstalig Hoekje". Mijn Nederlands heeft nog een beetje hulp nodig, but I plan to visit Flanders next year and move there one day, so I need (and I want) to learn Dutch.

Welcome back!
ImageImage
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
Geef me een kus,
En vlug, voor de laatste bus...

Marco
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: Turkish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Post by Marco » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Dank jullie wel voor de verwelkoming! :)

I've noticed the forum is quieter than in my days, but I'll see where I can help out.
Overduidelijk misschien.

luvdutch
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: China
Mother tongue: Mandarin

Post by luvdutch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:15 am

Hello Marco! Very glad to read your life story which is inspiring and full of positiveness. I think it is very good to know that the education system in NL is open and interactive. In this way the misunderstanding (or even discrimination) can be significantly decreased. A society with diversity and equality is truly a place of love and goodness. :)

Dora
Superlid
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by Dora » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Hoi Marco!

I remember you from way back. Glad to hear that you are a teacher. I would imagine that you are a very good one. I didn't know anyone had a hobby of "verifying supercentenarians," but that sounds more interesting than most people I know who just "like sports" and that's about it. I thought my hobby of studying Dutch Grammar was really out there.

ngonyama
Superlid
Third language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Of course it is out there, Dora :D. Deliciously so!

Eugène
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Russia
Mother tongue: Russian
Third language: French
Fourth language: Afrikaans
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German

Post by Eugène » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Hallo, Marco!

Het is heel leuk om je weer te hebben. Ik zal op jouw hulp rekenen, als je het niet erg vindt. Ook heb ik vele andere vragen die geen direct verband met de taal hebben. Bij voorbeeld, waarom moet iemand superhonderjarigen überhaupt verifiëren? Als ikke een ben, zal het mij niet kunnen schelen! :-)