Hallo allemaal

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
StevenM
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Hallo allemaal

Post by StevenM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi there! My name is Steven, and I live in Australia. I've been learning Dutch on Duolingo for a few months now, and have a reasonable grasp on understanding simple sentences (although writing it is still a challenge, hence this post being in English).

I started learning Dutch because I want to move to the Netherlands. Well, mainly I want to move out of Australia (for a number of reasons I could go into, but I'll keep this brief), and ever since I visited Amsterdam a few months ago, I've developed a fondness for Dutch language and culture. If I'm going to move somewhere, I might as well pick a place I really like. I'm planning to move next year (so no big rush yet), but I'd like to be prepared when the time comes.

However, my situation is a bit unusual, and I was hoping for some advice from someone who knows how the process works. I'm in the fortunate position of being in an industry where working remotely is an option, so while I technically do want to go there to work, it will be easiest if I keep my current employment for now so I don't have to look for work there -- one less thing to worry about.

The confusion is that all of the documentation surrounding work permits is written assuming that the employer is in the Netherlands. Making the inference that I do not require a work permit to remain employed by an Australian company, I am not sure what I need to do when applying for a residence permit. None of the categories in appendix 6 of Residence in the Netherlands seems to apply to my situation.

Also, I don't qualify as a highly skilled migrant because I don't have a degree, if that makes a difference.

These are the specific questions I have:

1. What should I put as my reason to stay? If "to work", what are the requirements I need to meet?
2. Do I still need a work permit to work for a foreign employer?
3. Would it make things easier if I changed my plans and looked for work in the Netherlands instead?
4. Since I'm under 30, would it be simpler to move under the Working Holiday Scheme at first and then apply for a change of reason to stay? Would that influence my chances one way or another?

If anyone can answer any of them, I'd really appreciate it. :) As I said, I don't actually need to worry about this for a while yet (and I do plan to ask the IND to assess my chances before I move), but if there's something I should be planning differently, I'd like to know as early as possible.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Hallo allemaal

Post by ngonyama » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:25 am

First of all: welcome here. Unfortunately you may find us more useful in helping you honing your language skills (which you will need) than about this kind of legal stuff. I honestly have no idea.. :cry:

StevenM
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Re: Hallo allemaal

Post by StevenM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:17 am

ngonyama wrote:First of all: welcome here. Unfortunately you may find us more useful in helping you honing your language skills (which you will need) than about this kind of legal stuff. I honestly have no idea.. :cry:
Bedankt! I am looking forward to honing my language skills here (ik vind het Nederlands mooi!), just thought I'd try asking. See you around the forum, hopefully!