Heey!

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
katiekate
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Heey!

Post by katiekate » Sat May 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Goeden middag! ik woon een maand Nederland en ben de Nederlandse taal aan het leren ik woon samen met Nederlandse mensen in den haag! Sorry minj netherlands niet goed.. so don't laugh at me.. !

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Heey!

Post by ngonyama » Sun May 14, 2017 5:35 am

katiekate wrote:Goeden middagGoedemiddag! ik woon een maand in Nederland en ben de Nederlandse taal aan het leren. Ik woon samen met Nederlandse mensen in Den Haag! Sorry minjmijn netherlandsNederlands is niet goed.. so don't laugh at me dus lach me niet uit.. !

I wouldn't dare!! Welcome here! I made a few corrections for you.

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Dankje well! I'll continue my question here. How long does it take to learn Dutch if i try to learn on my own? I have to communicate with Dutch people all the time now at work, on the street. In one month from zero ive managed to ask for directions,prices, keep a very short conversation,but once i tried a grammer test online and got so frustrsted i almost gave up on it. How do i learn the grammer and sentence constructions? I have no idea if there are any free dutch courses in Hague. As far as ive seen you have to pay atleast 400euros per month and even then id have to scheachule with my work.

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 am

katiekate wrote:Dankje well! I'll continue my question here. How long does it take to learn Dutch if i try to learn on my own? I have to communicate with Dutch people all the time now at work, on the street. In one month from zero ive managed to ask for directions,prices, keep a very short conversation,but once i tried a grammer test online and got so frustrated i almost gave up on it. How do i learn the grammer and sentence constructions? I have no idea if there are any free dutch courses in Hague. As far as ive seen you have to pay atleast 400euros per month and even then id have to scheachule with my work.

Phew, I'm not sure that I can answer that because some people do so much better on that than others... I have no idea about courses in the Hague. I live in North Carolina... But depending how well you can learn on your own, you can pretty much find all grammar here, although I think some of the exercises are gone now. I also wrote a wikibook about it that you can use free of charge. I has some exercises https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dutch. And I'm sure that there is more online, like on youtube. You can also post your homework here so that I can correct if you wish. Or you can do a bit of everything. All methods have their strong and their weak points. They are not all suitable for how far you have come already. It is like eating: a varied diet is best. Do a bit of this a bit of that and don't forget to do things again It's what kids do: again, again! (Ever seen the teletubbies?)

Constructions? Hmm do you mean our weird word order? Yes that is a big job, and many people struggle with it. There is inversions, there is putting participles at the end, there is seperable verbs, there is seperable pronominal adverbs, there is dependent clauses. But please not everything at once... Bit by bit please. Besides: even if you don't do the order right, people will still understand you, so you don't need to learn it all at once either.

One thing that seeems to help is if you write something and I correct it, explaining what went wrong.

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Tue May 30, 2017 6:25 am

Thank you! Yes i have no idea for example when do you have tobuse het or de? How is it possible to create normal sentances with correct verbs (past,future present) regular irregular verbs. I tried to look up some other forum they hd some grammer tests,but already in nederlands. So i wasn't able to understand even some sentances.

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Tue May 30, 2017 8:21 am

It's a bit long but i'll give a try Ik ben leer Nederlands taal voor een maand! Het is hard! Minj Nederlands is slecth. Mensen in Holland zeggen,toen "dat is goed,dat is goed,prima voor een maand"" maar ik weet het niet! Ik ben het denkeb dat nederlande mensen haat minj daroom minj nederlands is niet goed. I suck groot tijd! Ik remember) minj erste dag in Holland! Ik ben( nervous) ik was in Eindhen vliegveld en ik ben "wat beteken dat? Wat is er gaande? Ik was niet in staat om te pratten dutch. Alles was in het nederlands. Te veel nederlands voor mij. Alles hoek ik goren "goede morgen,goede morgen!"" Ik hebbek gaan to EIndoven trainstation en vraggen in nederlands en kopen train ticket naar schiphol. Ik begrijp het niet! Wat is dat? A chipcard? Waar do ik kopel chipcard? Hoeven koste dat? Ik was aan het denken dat nederlandse mensen haat mij..and ik been vervolen. En zelfs nu minj nederlands suck omdat ik spreak langzaam en begrijp klein beetje. Ik rijden en train 2 uurs naar Schiphol en 10minutten naar hoopdraft later.ik ben vervolen waar is het kantoor? Waar is it?Nam me 2 uur om het te vinden! Ik bej bjil sinds i got naar kantoor! Allas is goed! Dutch mensen haat me biet! Waroom? Waroom! Ik weet het niet. Ik hou van het vriendly nederlandse mensen. Ik kom uit Den Haag en ik hou deze staad! Ik hou minj vriends en minj werk! Ik spreak to nederlands allas dag mandaag to zondag! Ik heb drein weeken in Den Haag now! Ik houpDat ik leren nederlands! !

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Wed May 31, 2017 10:11 pm

katiekate wrote:Thank you! Yes i have no idea for example when do you have tobuse het or de? How is it possible to create normal sentances with correct verbs (past,future present) regular irregular verbs. I tried to look up some other forum they hd some grammer tests,but already in nederlands. So i wasn't able to understand even some sentances.

Which words are neutral (het) and which are not (de) is best learned by always memorizing the word together with the article.

Learn: het boek not: boek
Learn: de straat not: het straat.

There are a few helpful things, e.g. nouns of action derived from verbs using -ing are typically de-words:
begroeten - de begroeting

Actually they are feminine words, which is why they can be use with "ter"
Hij liep ter begroeting naar buiten
But what is left of the masculine-feminine distinction is not your first priority.

Diminutives in -je, etje, tje, pje etc. are always neutral:
Het schaap - het schaapje
De vogel - het vogeltje

Most verbs in Dutch are either weak regular or strong regular. The actual irregular ones is only a handful.
Strong roots that change vowel there is about 90 or so and they often correspond to English irregulars. Like:

Zingen - zong - gezongen -- to sing - sang -sung

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Wed May 31, 2017 10:43 pm

katiekate wrote:It's a bit long but i'll give a try

Ik ben leer Nederlands taal voor een maand! -- Ik ben nu een maand Nederlands aan het leren

Het is hard! -- Het is moeilijk"Hard" is used in the sense of hardness, like a stone

Minj Nederlands is slecth. Mijn Nederlands is slecht The "ij" is a real Dutch oddity. Dutch vowels can be doubled, which gives them a different sound (and a bit of extra length, but that is minor). So you have a - aa, e- ee, o -oo, u - uu. We used to have i -ii as well but that looked so much like an u in handwriting that they made the second letter a j: ij. Originally it was an [i:] sound like in English beet. Later it became a diphthong

Mensen in Holland zeggen,toen "dat is goed,dat is goed,prima voor een maand"" maar ik weet het niet! -- Mensen in Holland zeggen dan: "dat is goed, dat is goes, prima voor een maand" maar ik weet het zo net niet."zo net niet" is an expression that indicates doubt.

Ik ben het denkeb dat nederlande mensen haat minj daroom minj nederlands is niet goed. --Ik denk dat Nederlandse mensen mij haten omdat mijn Nederlands niet goed is.Total NONSENSE of course. They love you and are trying to encourage you!!

I suck groot tijd! -- Hmm, this is not easy to render..Ik ga altijd af als een gieter.Don't ask...

Ik remember) minj erste dag in Holland! -- Ik herinner me mijn eerste dag in Nederland.

Ik ben( nervous) ik was in Eindhen vliegveld en ik ben "wat beteken dat? Wat is er gaande? Ik was niet in staat om te pratten dutch. --Ik was zenuwachtig. Ik was op het vliegveld van Eindhoven en dacht telkens: "Wat betekent dat? Wat is er gaande? Ik was niet in staat om Nederlands te praten.

Alles was in het nederlands. Te veel nederlands voor mij. Alles hoek ik goren "goede morgen,goede morgen!"" -- Alles was in het Nederlands! Te veel Nederlands voor mij.. ???Alles wat ik kon horen was?? "goedemorgen, goedemorgen

Ik hebbek gaan to EIndoven trainstation en vraggen in nederlands en kopen train ticket naar schiphol. -- Ik ben naar het station van Endhoven gegaan en heb geprobeerd om in het Nederlands een kaartje naar Schiphol te kopen

Ik begrijp het niet! Wat is dat? A chipcard? Waar do ik kopel chipcard? Hoeven koste dat? -- Ik begrijp het niet! Wat is dat? A chipcard? Waar kan ik een chipkaart kopen? Hoeveel kost dat?

Ik was aan het denken dat nederlandse mensen haat mij..and ik been vervolen. -- Ik dacht werkelijk dat Nederlanders mij haatten ... en ik ben ??? [incomprehensible, sorry Verdwaald, maybe?]

En zelfs nu minj nederlands suck omdat ik spreak langzaam en begrijp klein beetje. -- En zelfs nu stinkt m'n Nederlands omdat ik langzaam spreek en maar een klein beetje versta.

Ik rijden en train 2 uurs naar Schiphol en 10minutten naar hoopdraft later.ik ben vervolen waar is het kantoor? Waar is it?Nam me 2 uur om het te vinden! -- Ik reed 2 uur in de trein naar Schiphol en ??geen idee??Ik kn de weg naar het kantoor niet vinden (?)Waar is dat toch? Het heeft me wel 2 uur gekost om het te vinden

Ik bej bjil sinds i got naar kantoor! Allas is goed! Dutch mensen haat me biet! Waroom? Waroom! Ik weet het niet. Ik hou van het vriendly nederlandse mensen. -- Ik ben blij dat ik het kantoor gevonden heb. Alles is goed. Die Nederlandse mensen haten me niet. Waarom? Ik weet het niet. Ik hou van vriendelijke Nederlandse mensen.

Ik kom uit Den Haag en ik hou deze staad! Ik hou minj vriends en minj werk! Ik spreak to nederlands allas dag mandaag to zondag! Ik heb drein weeken in Den Haag now! Ik houpDat ik leren nederlands! ! -- Ik kom uit Den Haag en ik hou van deze stad. Ik hou van m'n vrienden en van m'n werk. Ik spreek alle dagen van maandag tot zondag Nederlands. Ik ben nou drie weken in Den Haag (?) Ik hoop dat ik Nederlands leer!!

Congratulations!! Your first story! Yes there are lots of mistakes, but that is how you learn it best: just go for it. Try! Don't be afraid of the mistakes. No, people don't hate you. They respect you for your courage.

O, something about Holland and Nederland: Nederland is the whole country. Holland is only the western part of Nederland, near Den Haag, Rotterdam, Amsterdam. Eindhoven is not in Holland, it is in a different part of Nederland, called Brabant.

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Vervolen i mean lost. And dankje well! Yes this is why i wanted to share this. I have friends in Nederlands who help me out, but i struggle a lot with sentance structures. Short ones are ok like ""Eeen ticket naar Den Haaag alsjeblieft"" it's simple. I tried to look up verbs. Total nightmare. Yeah that was my first thing i thougt try to speak in nederlands and everyone would make fun of me for being unable to prounaunce something,now i know it's not like that. Ive been to several places now in nederlands. Each time in new city ive got lost or couldn't find something, but always ive had good people in my way who have helped me with anything i needed!

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:58 pm

More things i want tk know is the difference between dit and dat how to use these? Why sometimes people say dit en dat? Difference between geen en niet? Graag en alsjeblieft? Alls allas and so?

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 am

katiekate wrote:More things i want tk know is the difference between dit and dat how to use these? Why sometimes people say dit en dat? Difference between geen en niet? Graag en alsjeblieft? Alls allas and so?

Dit corresponds to this and dat to that. So one is close by the other more distant.

Dit verhaal -- this story
Dat werk -- that work

As in English "dat" can also be used in other meanings:

Ik geloof dat hij morgen komt -- I believe that he is coming tomorrow
Het werk dat hij doet, is ... -- the work that he is doing is ....

(Notice how the verbs "komt" and "doet" move to the very end after "dat"?)

But there is catch.
Dit and dat are only used for neuter words (het-words) in the singular otherwise you get deze or die:

Het verhaal -- dit verhaal -- dat verhaal
De trein -- deze trein -- die trein
De verhalen -- deze verhalen -- die verhalen (plural of a het-word: all plurals get "de")

Geen = no and niet = not:

Hij is niet thuis -- he is not at home
Hij is geen dief -- he is no thief

Graag = with pleasure, eagerly
Alsjebieft = please or here you are

Ik wil graag naar bed -- I'd really like to go to bed
Mag ik alsjeblieft naar bed -- Can I please go to bed?

Mag ik een glas water -- May I have a glass of water?
:Natuurlijk. Alstublieft! -- Of course. Here you are!

Als= if
Alles - everything

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 am

Thank you! Still sounds complicated. Of all the million possible sentances how do i know where tonuse what?

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Now that's for you to find out by speaking Dutch. I'm not trying to make it difficult for you, it's just a way for fine-tuning your skills. Some things are too difficult to explain and I bet it's more fun to do it face-to-face. Don't be afraid: Dutch people are very fluent in English and if you insist they will explain things/correct you.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

katiekate
Lid

Post by katiekate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 am

Whenever i need to find something or i get lost or hqve to buy something i ask for directions and prices in nederlands now. No problem with that! Just sometimes i hate when i can't remember some words or people speak so fast i don't understand. Sometimes i listen to people who talk at the bar close to me and im like wtf are they talking about?

ngonyama
Superlid

Post by ngonyama » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am

katiekate wrote:Whenever i need to find something or i get lost or hqve to buy something i ask for directions and prices in nederlands now. No problem with that! Just sometimes i hate when i can't remember some words or people speak so fast i don't understand. Sometimes i listen to people who talk at the bar close to me and im like wtf are they talking about?

Oh, been there done that... :? It really helps if you at least know the general topic of what they are talking about. If you don't have that it is really hard to get into it. Especially if they are talking to each other, because they'll go full throttle. Even more so if there are more people around, like in a bar. One on one is often more forgiving. Good trick: don't count what you miss, count what you can catch.

Can you watch the news yet? Or some kid's video's or so?