Greetings from Munich

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
Archetype
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Greetings from Munich

Post by Archetype » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 am

Hello everyone, my name is Croatia and I like Dutch customs, so I plan to emigrate to The Hague, I want to learn Dutch, but I find Dutch a bit harder, all I want to find some good ways and learning tips :-P
Last edited by Archetype on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Greetings from Munich

Post by ngonyama » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:28 am

I'm sure you can find a lot of useful stuff here in the grammar pages, all depending on you learning style, preference and ability. You can also write some Dutch here and we'll correct as you go.

Outside this site there is plenty of stuff. Sites like duolingo, quizlet etc. are great for memorizing vocabulary, but less so for learning to make whole sentences. I wrote a wikibook called Dutch that's for free and can be used anyway you see fit. Has lots of sound files. You can of course also pay for courses. I can't guide you there because I have no experience with them. The best thing is of course to immerse yourself as much as possible.
The main rule of language learning is that doing stuff is often more important than worrying about what stuff to do best. Do one thing one day, something else another. And revisit. Do what toddlers do: again, again! (Ever seen teletubbies?) So do a lesson, let it rest for a month and do it again!