Offer practical Mandarin learning support

Would you like to learn Dutch in exchange for teaching your native language? Are you a native Dutch speaker and are you looking for someone who can help you with studying English? Or Russian? Japanese? Post it here!
candy666682
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Christmas Island
Mother tongue: Mandarin
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: French

Offer practical Mandarin learning support

Post by candy666682 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 am

Hi, I am an expat in Shanghai and a native Mandarin speaker. I also speak fluent English and some basic-medium Dutch (I did pass NT2 some years ago when I lived in the Netherlands). I started paying attention to this forum when I try to refresh my poor Dutch grammar, I really appreciate the efforts made into this site. There are excellent insights for people who want to get more solid learning in their Dutch. Consequently, I like to give contributions back to this community.

My Chinese friend and I started a small venture in coaching westerner expats (and their family members, now we have > 35 people learning with us) learning Mandarin and results seem pretty good since I know precisely the difficult path the Western learners encounter when learning this ''ancient and grammatically different" language. I would be happy to give advice to anyone in this forum who are interested in learning (or need to learn) Mandarin.

Cheers,

Lori C

ldej24
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Spanish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Duits, basis Mandarijn, basis Japans, basis Italiaans

Re: Offer practical Mandarin learning support

Post by ldej24 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Lori,

I saw your offer and appreciate it very much.

I am Dutch, (trying) to learn Putonghua. Pretty difficult! Last year I went to Xi'an, unfortunately without too much success as far as speaking Chinese is concerned.
The reading is a bit less hard. So, I went for the HSK1 and passed.
This year I would like to go for a short (affordable) course in another place in the Hanyu area. I am looking for possibilities for homestay.

Could you please advice me. I would also welcome advice on learning Chinese in general.

Thank you on beforehand,

Hein

candy666682
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Christmas Island
Mother tongue: Mandarin
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: French

Post by candy666682 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 am

Hi, Hein,

Terribly sorry that I did not see your question till today. I hope this reply get to you on time. I am located in Shanghai and co-own a Mandarin language and culture training company in Shanghai for the moment. (This is a hobby work I do in Shanghai till my husband finishes his assignment and returns to the Netherlands.) Shanghai is pleasant and easy to live, but it is not the best place you can take for learning Mandarin.

However, a short stay in Shanghai in Summer and let one of my best Marndarin tutor teach you intensively for 1 month or longer, and arrange your homestay at a Chinese family here (possibly one of my Chinese friend's home. They may just expect you to speak English to the only one child in the family) maybe an option. After that, support you to send you off to some different places (less touristic ones) will be the best way for you to practice before going back to NL.

Let me know if you like my thoughts. If you want to talk to me directly, you can try to skype me at +86-13918651909.

With Best Regards,

Lori

chomas
Lid
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by chomas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 am

Although this topic has long gone but I hope my answer can help with people
If you are actually serious about learning Chinese: First of all make sure, that you have an ongoing motivation to learn the language. If that's missing, you'll probably give up frustrated after some weeks, because learning a language can be frustrating.
Then get yourself a dictionary and a course book with many demonstrative explanations for the grammar. Start by learning the basics: nouns, articles, verbs and the basic sentence structure S-V-O (subject-verb-object). Try to find a speaking Chinese friend and try to practise your knowledge, even if you can only say simple things like "你好", "你在做什么." or a little more complicated. Also start to read as much as you can. Learning vocabulary is no fun, but it's easier if you remember vocabulary from the context, because you see that a word is important and not only word of many in a vocabulary list.
Now expand your knowledge slowly by learning more, reading more and practicing your new knowledge as often as possible and try not to get frustrated once you encounter the more challenging parts of the Chinese language.
Also consider a stay in China once you have basic knowledge. You'll be amazed how fast you learn when you're in contact with native speakers - just don't get frustrated.

chomas
Lid
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by chomas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 am

If you are actually serious about learning Chinese: First of all make sure, that you have an ongoing motivation to learn the language. If that's missing, you'll probably give up frustrated after some weeks, because learning a language can be frustrating.
Then get yourself a dictionary and a course book with many demonstrative
explanations for the grammar. Start by learning the basics: nouns, articles, verbs and the basic sentence structure (subject-verb-object). Try to find a Chinese speaking friend and try to practise your knowledge, Also start to read as much as you can. Learning vocabulary is no fun, but it's easier if you remember vocabulary from the context, because you see that a word is important and not only word of many in a vocabulary list.
Now expand your knowledge slowly by learning more, reading more and practicing your new knowledge as often as possible and try not to get frustrated once you encounter the more challenging parts of the Chinese language.
Also consider a stay in China once you have basic knowledge. You'll be amazed how fast you learn when you're in contact with native speakers - just don't get frustrated.