I search someone from another country

Are you a native Dutch speaker and would you like to help people who are learning Dutch? Here, you can introduce yourself and let people know how you can help - for example through email, Skype, MSN, or live.
Gunner
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: English
Third language: French

I search someone from another country

Post by Gunner » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am

Hi all,

I search someone from antoher country to speak about the country the people ..
Just to talk about other country's.

All country's are welcome :) (i am from belgium)

Thnx

falcybe
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Second language: French
Third language: Italian

Re: I search someone from another country

Post by falcybe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:20 am

Dag Gunner,

Ik heb je post net vanavond gezien. Ik kom uit Engeland maar nu woon ik in België, in het Zouden. Ik leer
Nederlands dus moet je mijn fouten corrigeren :)
je schreef
I search someone from antoher country to speak about the country the people ..
Just to talk about other country's.
All country's are welcome (i am from belgium)
beter:
I am searching for someone (die je al ken, voel ik in deze zin) or I am looking for someone (new) from
another country to speak about the country, the people, etc.
Just to talk about other countries (andere landen), country's is niet meervoud in Engels maar
possessief :)
I, (not i) am from Belgium, (not belgium). Ja, ik weet wel dat de jongeren hebben geen meer waarderen voor de grammatica maar ik leer liever de echte taal.

Tot ziens, Arthur
ps: ik weet de goed kleuren niet voor het corrigeren :o
pps: ik schreef dit 2 dagen geleden maar de site werkte niet.
ppps: ik ben geen leraar :)

Grytolle
Superlid
Mother tongue: Swedish
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Post by Grytolle » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:52 pm

De echte taal leren is wel iets goeds, maar of je woorden al dan niet met een grote beginletter schrijft, lijkt me daarvoor weinig relevant =P~
:-)

falcybe
Waardevol lid

Post by falcybe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm

so what? I'm talking to Gunner, not you and I'm saying what I feel, not what you feel. If you want to be rude to someone, go and be rude to someone else.

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:24 pm

First of all, I said nothing that could reasonably be interpreted as rude. Secondly, you wrote on a public forum, not in a private message. And lastly, you have no right to complain about me being hypothetically rude after your lashing out at my and Jazzedpotato's 'English'. It was perfectly reasonable to point out that there is a difference between "the real language" and the way one is supposed to spell it.

As to the errors in your "Dutch":
"Zouden" => zuiden (kleine beginletter)
"dus moet je m'n fouten corrigeren" => "dus corrigeer/verbeter graag mijn fouten, alsjeblieft." (een beetje beleefdheid kan toch geen kwaad, hè :))
"Ja, ik weet wel dat de jongeren hebben geen meer waarderen voor de grammatica maar ik leer liever de echte taal. " => Ja, ik weet wel dat de jeugd van tegenwoordig correcte grammatica niet meer hoog in het vaandel heeft staan, maar ik leer zelf liever de echte taal. (Dat de "maar" een tegenstelling doet verwachten die nergens te bespeuren is, laat ik gemakshalve buiten beschouwing)

Quetzal
Retired moderator

Post by Quetzal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 am

Let's not get too wound up here...
Grytolle, I agree that what you wrote wasn't rude as such, but I don't really see the point of your remark either - like it or not, writing "I" with a capital I is obligatory in normal English, so correcting it was perfectly normal.

Arthur, your remark about young people not speaking/writing "the real language" did come across as somewhat denigrating to those among us young people who do in fact care about correct language ;) and I'm not sure how you can know what Gunner's age is...

A couple more corrections:
- "... dat de jongeren geen waardering meer hebben voor grammatica" (mind the word order, and grammatica without the "de"), though Grytolle's suggestion of "de jeugd van tegenwoordig" does fit better in the context than "de jongeren"
- de goede kleuren
- and for Grytolle, the "graag" doesn't really belong there in your suggestion for rephrasing; besides that, adding a small nuance such as "dus moet je m'n fouten *maar* corrigeren" makes his original phrasing quite acceptable

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:04 am

Quetzal wrote:- and for Grytolle, the "graag" doesn't really belong there in your suggestion for rephrasing
damn, I have no idea why :?
Quetzal wrote:besides that, adding a small nuance such as "dus moet je m'n fouten *maar* corrigeren" makes his original phrasing quite acceptable
true :mrgreen:

falcybe
Waardevol lid

Post by falcybe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Quetzal wrote: Arthur, your remark about young people not speaking/writing "the real language" did come across as somewhat denigrating to those among us young people who do in fact care about correct language ;) and I'm not sure how you can know what Gunner's age is...
Hi Quetzal, I'm afraid my Dutch is still in its early stages and my meaning has got lost in the translation, sorry. I was talking about young people in general who ignore grammar on sms' and chats as a way of life; my nieces and nephews in England are all "guilty"!! (".... all guilty" is a friendly expression in English in this context.) For all I know Gunner could be older than me. I was simply saying (politely, (it would have been in English), in case Gunner actually preferred to write like that to fit in with that way of writing) "I know young people (synonym of "one way of writing nowadays" (and this way actually was introduced by youth culture)).... but I....." which was why I corrected the i to I. In fact I was making a comment about my preferences for learning a foreign language. Also I was making a first reply to Gunner so keeping everything very brief before getting to know him.

Finally, I have never lashed out about other people's English, especially not Jazzed's who has an excellent command of languages. Perhaps Grytolle is referring to my comparison of different cultures/ages/ways of speaking with the ever-changing flow of language and thought it meant something other than the simple statement it was, to be taken at face value.

Groetjes, Arthur

JazzedPotato
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: 5:Spaans (lerend)

Post by JazzedPotato » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 pm

:-D Thank you, Arthur! :)

Hey guys, please let's not forget that:
- We are dealing with a forum here, which means static communication and therefore a lot of room for miscommunications as there is little room for the 'nonverbal' communication that usually takes place in a conversation. :)
- This is a forum for learning a language (in this case Dutch), so we need to be taking into account that people may come across differently because they are not expressing themselves in their native tongue and as Arthur says, some things get 'lost in translation'. :)
So I think instead of assuming something is meant, in case we are unsure it would be better to ask that person to make sure. :) Also, Grytolleke, you with your excellent command of Dutch know better than anyone else that some things are harder to translate and that 'politeness' is a difficult thing to translate in the nonformal Dutch as this requires command of the modal particles especially. ;) I think all of us understood what Arthur meant saying this, and giving eachother feedback or helping eachother out (which I think was Arthur's intention here, answering this post in the first place) is never a bad thing imho. :)
" Roam with young Persephone.
Plucking poppies for your slumber . . .
With the morrow, there shall be
One more wraith among your number
. "

falcybe
Waardevol lid

Post by falcybe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Dank je Jazzed,

Nu dat een paar dagen weggegaan zijn (now that a couple of days have gone by), mag ik een vraag over de eerste post van Krytolle of je of Quetzel stellen.

In de antwoord van Krytolle, met de "maar of je woorden" ik lees de "je" als of Krytolle schreef dat wat ik wou doen/denken niet belangrijk was; voor me "je" = "jou" = you.

Dan zag ik dat Quetzel dacht dat dit zin niet zo onvriendelijk was.

Zo, kan iemand onder jullie zijn zin outleggen please? Ik ben hier met de Nederlands helemaal verloren.

Groetjes, Arthur
en ja, ik wou een beetje wederkerig helpen (mutual helping) hier. whoops :o

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:46 pm

falcybe wrote:Nu dat een paar dagen weggegaan zijn (now that a couple of days have gone by voorbijgegaan zijn, I think), mag ik een vraag over de eerste post van Krytolle of jou of Quetzel (altijd beklemtoonde vorm in opsommingen) stellen.
Moest het nog eens gebeuren dat we een kleine ruzie krijgen met elkaar, weet dat je tóch altijd taalvragen kunt stellen en dat ik ze graag antwoord. Ik doe dat namelijk meer voor mijn eigen plezier dan dat van jou, ook al spreekt het idee om iemand te helpen mij ook wel aan :P Het is sowieso altijd iets positief om terug ter zake te keren dan te blijven kiften.
falcybe wrote:In het antwoord van Krytolle, met de "maar of je woorden" ik lees de "je" als of Krytolle schreef dat wat ik wou doen/denken niet belangrijk was; voor mij "je" = "jou" = you.
Ik begrijp je vraag niet perfect, maar indien het gaat om in welke betekenis ik "je" wou gebruiken, was het die van "men" (Engels "if you learn" of "if one learns").

Ik vond wel dat je in wezen een goed standpunt hebt ingenomen: de echte taal leren is belangrijk. Wat ik echter bedoelde is dat groot- of kleinschrijving daarbij een van de minst belangrijke details is. Onder "de echte taal" begrijp ik vooral de gesproken taal, maar ik vind het geen rare gedachte om het begrip uit te breiden tot een goede geschreven stijl, et c. Alles wat met woordkeuze (grammatica, woordenschat) te maken heeft, heeft voor mij gewoon een veel hogere prioriteit dan de meer ingewikkelde regels van de spelling (dat je de openlettergreepregel leert, is bijvoorbeeld wel belangrijk, want anders gaan mensen je vaak niet kunnen begrijpen, bijvoorbeeld als je "bot" schrijft, ipv "boot"). Spelling gaat immers van nature eerder om afspraken binnen een taalgemeenschap over hoe je een bepaalde taal weergeeft, dan waaruit die bestaat. Daarbij spelen meer factoren mee dan hoe de taal op het moment van schrijven uitziet; vooral traditie. Een prachtig voorbeeld van het verschil tussen taalvaardigheid en spellingvaardigheid vormt de tussen-e(n) in het Nederlands; de spelling heeft daar helemaal niks te maken met de uitspraak. Wat je nodig hebt om te weten dat je [bɛsəsɑus] (/bessesaus/) als "bessensaus" moet schrijven is beslist geen taalkennis, maar spellingkennis.
falcybe wrote:ik wou een beetje wederkerig helpen (mutual helping) hier. whoops :o
"Ik hoopte dat we elkaar een beetje zouden (kunnen) helpen" ofzo zou ik gezegd hebben, maar als ik per se "mutual helping" als een nominalisatie zou willen vertalen: wederzijdse hulp.

Ten slotte vind ik jouw spelling met "K" in "Krytolle" een hele toffe. Spreken we af dat daaraan blijft vasthouden zolang je op dit forum blijft posten? :mrgreen:

(whoops => oeps (I learned that word very late for some reason, so maybe me saying it can save you some time))

Quetzal
Retired moderator

Post by Quetzal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:17 pm

falcybe wrote:
In de het antwoord van Krytolle, met de "maar of je woorden" ik lees ik de "je" alsof Krytolle schreef dat wat ik wou doen/denken niet belangrijk was; voor me jij "je" = "jou" = you.

Dan zag ik dat Quetzel dacht dat dit deze zin niet zo onvriendelijk was.

Zo, kan iemand onder jullie zijn zin ouuitleggen please? Ik ben hier met de het Nederlands helemaal verloren de kluts kwijt (nice Dutch idiom).
Grytolle heeft het meeste al verbeterd, maar nog een paar dingen die hij overgeslagen had.

Hij heeft ook geantwoord op je vraag; ik zou nog toevoegen dat als hij jou specifiek bedoeld had, hij "jij" gebruikt zou hebben, en niet "je". Dat is iets wat we toevallig net bespreken hier.

I'll switch to English to make it simpler: the unstressed form "je" in the context of Grytolle's sentence made it a general statement, speaking about people in general ("one"), and until reading this post now I hadn't even realized how you had interpreted it. As a result, I found your reaction somewhat exaggerated, but this misunderstanding explains a lot. If he had meant that he didn't care what you specifically did, he'd have used "jij" (or, knowing him, "gij", but the point stands: a marked/stressed pronoun).

And I'm wondering how much you'll understand of Grytolle's rather long and complicated answer there... I'm not even sure if "nominalisatie" is a word. :P

falcybe
Waardevol lid

Post by falcybe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Hoi,
Ik dank jullie voor uw antwoorden, sorry Grytolle. Ik denk dat ik heb moeten willen in mijn hoofd de G zeggen (moelijk voor een Engelsman), toen ik je naam schreef en mijn hand een K heeft geschreven. Jij hebt mijn vraag perfect begrijp, Grytolle :-D
Tot vandaag dacht ik dat "je" gebruikt altijd "men". Ik heb in 6/7 cursen nooit "je" in deze betekenis (sense/meaning) gehoord of gezien. [-X

And Quetzel,
And I'm wondering how much you'll understand of Grytolle's rather long and complicated answer there... I'm not even sure if "nominalisatie" is a word.
I think I understood the general meaning quite well if not all the words especially not the one you didn't know either :D
I wrote that all my nieces and nephews in England agree with Grytolle's way of thinking so If that is what "you (je!)" want then so be it.
When I was at school the little things were considered very important because as language is a tool to communicate thoughts to others, it should be constructed in such a way as to make it as easy as possible for the "recipient" of your thoughts to understand you in a very flowing manner, without any "noise". There were in fact two languages, one spoken and the other written and it was very important to make correct use of the apostrophe which was primarily used as the possessive. Het boek van Jan, John's book. This was the same in both languages but Jan gaat naar de bioscoop could be John's going to the cinema in spoken language but had to be John is going ... in writing in order to avoid the "noise" caused by the brain working out that the possessive was not being used here. In speaking, the "going" comes so quickly 8) that there is no noise. Nowadays most people write with apostrophes where they cause noise to us oldies and a lot of people don't put the apostrophe in where one is required for the possessive :roll:
In another posting I made on the forum, I pointed out that I spent over an hour misunderstanding a sentence completely until I decided to put one small comma in. It was confirmed that not only had the writer had left the comma out, but it was a strict rule that the comma should have been there! And look at my K for G rytolle when I was thinking of something else... #-o
Never mind, as I think I understood Grytolle to say, the important thing is to be able to communicate (without being misunderstood! :o )

Cheers, groetjes, Arthur

EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Post by EetSmakelijk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:52 pm

One of the coolest things about language is that it has different registers. For example, if I am chatting with somebody who uses grammatical shortcuts, I start to use them too. :shock: I want to use the smiley that says "shame on you" but can't remember how to type it. :P
If I am writing on this forum, I try to use complete sentences with the rules I learned in school.
I am not very good at punctuation and have had my sentences misunderstood because of that. :oops:
I agree with the person who said that if there is ever a question of what is meant, to ask what was meant as that will probably avoid a lot of miscommunication. :D
Now the hard part: writing what I just wrote in Dutch. :eak:
Wat ik zo plezant vind om taal is dat er zoveel stijlniveaus zijn. (Ik weet niet zeker dat dat het goede woord is maar het staat in Van Dale voor het Engelse woord "register"). Bijvoorbeeld als ik met iemand babbel die veel afkortingen gebruikt, dan begin ik ook op dezelfde manier te praten.
Als ik iets schrijf op dit forum, dan probeer ik in volledige zinnen te schrijven met de regeltjes die ik op school heb geleerd. Soms heb ik problemen met interpunctie en er waren een paar gevallen waarin mijn zinnen niet duidelijk waren wegens mijn slechte gebruik van interpunctie. :shock:
Ik ben het helemaal eens met de persoon die zei dat als we iets niet begrijpen of als we er niet zeker van zijn, dat vragen eerst stellen altijd een goed idee is. :D

Now I'd like to answer the original poster's question. :cool:
Nu zou ik de originele vraag willen beantwoorden. :cool:
What would you like to know about Canada?
Wat zou je willen weten over Canada? :grin:
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am

For starters: "nominalisatie" (nominalisation) does exist :D
nominaliseren

(taalkunde) (mbt. een werkwoord) tot een naamwoord maken (door het in de infinitiefvorm te zetten en te laten voorafgaan door ‘het’ of door het achtervoegsel -ing aan de stam toe te voegen)
Maar ja, dat is dus taalkundigs. Ik had de term eigenlijk moeten uitleggen :)
falcybe wrote:When I was at school the little things were considered very important because as language is a tool to communicate thoughts to others, it should be constructed in such a way as to make it as easy as possible for the "recipient" of your thoughts to understand you in a very flowing manner, without any "noise".

Good point. I'd like to make a different between real noise (related to language usage: faulty conjugations, messed up word order, bad sentence structure, leaving out punctuation that marks a pause so that the sentence becomes ambiguous) and artificial noise (spelling errors: "I am board", "it's main purpose is two impress") that wouldn't disturb us if we weren't used to a certain way of spelling things, though.

EetSmakelijk wrote:Wat ik zo plezant vind om taal is dat er zoveel stijlniveaus zijn. (Ik weet niet zeker dat dat het goede woord is maar het staat in Van Dale voor het Engelse woord "register"). Bijvoorbeeld als ik met iemand babbel die veel afkortingen gebruikt, dan begin ik ook op dezelfde manier te praten.
Als ik iets schrijf op dit forum, dan probeer ik in volledige zinnen te schrijven met de regeltjes die ik op school heb geleerd. Soms heb ik problemen met interpunctie en er waren een paar gevallen waarin mijn zinnen niet duidelijk waren wegens mijn slechte gebruik van interpunctie. :shock:
Ik ben het helemaal eens met de persoon die zei dat als we iets niet begrijpen of als we er niet zeker van zijn, dat vragen eerst stellen altijd een goed idee is. :D

"(Stijl)registers" wordt dat normaal gezien genoemd.

Een paar verbeteringen:
Wat ik zo plezant vind AAN taal, is dat er zoveel registers zijn. Bijvoorbeeld als ik met iemand babbel (en) die veel afkortingen gebruikt, dan begik ik ook op dezelfde manier te praten.
Als ik iets schrijf op dit forum, (dan) probeer ik volledige zinnen te schrijven volgens de regeltjes die ik op school heb geleerd. Soms heb ik (wel) problemen met de interpunctie/het gebruik van leestekens en er zijn dan ook een paar gevallen geweest waarin mijn zinnen niet duidelijk waren wegens mijn slechte gebruik van leestekens/wegens mijn slechte interpunctie.
Ik ben het helemaal eens met de persoon die zei dat als we iets niet begrijpen of als we er(gens) niet zeker van zijn, ("dat het dan", maar 't is mss een beetje spreektalig om dat toe te voegen) het altijd een goed idee is om (eerst) vragen te stellen/om te vragen.